Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Changing Category & Board ID's? (Read 1,567 times)
HighAce
YaBB Newcomer

Changing Category & Board ID's?
Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:34am
Post Tools
Is there anyway to change the category and Board ID's at all after it's been setup and used?

I have been given a YaBB board to take over and they have used weird ID's and i want to change the board and category ID's to something more ordered and better defined, some are numbers others text and numbers and it's just all over the place!

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Changing Category & Board ID's?
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:00pm
Post Tools
In the Admin Center there are tools for managing both Boards and Categories.

Basically, you have two choices.

One is to rename the existing categories and boards.  When I say rename them, I am speaking of changing the Name field (what is displayed) NOT the ID fields. The ID fields are really internal to YaBB and don't affect what is displayed or how it is ordered.  DO NOT CHANGE THE ID FIELDS!

Both Categories and Boards have a permanent ID field, and a Name field - only the Name field is ever displayed.  The ID field must be unique.

Boards can be moved to other categories, and both Categories and their Boards and be re-ordered, without any change to their contents.  Moving a Board to a different Category is done by changing the Category field in the Board Edit menu.

The second option is to create new Categories and Boards.  You can certainly go this route if you wish, and you might want to create a few new boards or consolidate some. 

You would create any new Categories first, then add any new boards.

This is done by creating the new board (it gets placed in its Category during the Board setup), and then using the Admin  Move topic tool (in the User interface) to move threads/topics to their new home.

You should probably read this section in the Codex and look at the video.

http://codex.yabbforum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1198368987/4#4

You don't say what version of YaBB, BUT - FOR SURE - BaCKUP FIRST!  (Yabb 2.4 & 2.5 have built-in backup)

Read this:
http://codex.yabbforum.com/YaBB.pl?board=backup

Good Luck
Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:12pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:06pm
Post Tools
No ... changing such would cause a loss of boards, threads and messages.
  These IDs are only used within the scripts for input and output, so actually never needed for users to be simple or even understood.
  The only thing this makes a little harder is for the Admin NOT to accidentally duplicate, when adding Cats or Boards.

IP Logged

HighAce
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:38am
Post Tools
Thanks JonB, that will do just nicely! Smiley

Sorry, should have mentioned it's a YaBB 2.4 board!

IP Logged

HighAce
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 2:33am
Post Tools
Just wanted to update and say that following your advice about creating a new Category, new Board, and then moving the data from the previous board into the new one worked like a charm, i now have them all named appropriately and better organised!

Thanks again JonB!

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools