Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Template Configuration Frustration - Help needed (Read 1,765 times)
gamemaster
YaBB Newcomer

Template Configuration Frustration - Help needed
Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:37pm
Post Tools
One thing I never understood about this forum tool is how the forum layout style sheet in the Admin tool never work completely.  Here is an example that I need help on fixing. I designed this Yellow template which looks alright to my liking on the Template Configuration preview.   But once applied, and the forum is viewed with that template, the style ends up looking nothing like how I designed it. Now why is that?  Roll Eyes

notice text/link color of the Subject, Started By, Replies, Views, and Last Posts under the Template preview that I was working off, ended up looking completely different in the end. Almost unreadable.

it's not just this template I made that's having this problem. It seems all are having the issue. Go to my forums right now and access the General area and see how the Message Index there looks nothing how it suppose to look from the Template configuration preview.

Now a little researching on my own I narrowed down the area where the fix might be applied to is the Template section on the Admin tool.  But I don't know what to type in.  All the examples I saw on this forum, CTRL+F to find the beginning code they used, I didn't see it in the Message Index template so I didn't proceed with saving to avoid screwing up things worse.

I'm using the Anniversary Yabb 2.5E board.  Cry

http://www.acewar.com/forums

Built on:
Windows Server 2008 Standard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2GB DDR1
IIS 7.0
ActivePerl 5.10.7
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Template Configuration Frustration - Help needed
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 4:30am
Post Tools
The WYSIWYG window will never look like the actual template controlled by the CSS.  It is actually a mock up.
    It was designed to attempt/"try" to get as much to display as possible of the content within the forum.  Even there it doesn't display it all.
   The CSS controls "almost" (not all) of the various text/etc.
    Many of the CSS control entries group many areas.  So many Template guru's ADD Div/Spans to even separate control to accomplish the look they desire and modify the associated templates.
   What your looking at in the preview is controlled by class=small
Code (CSS)
Select All
.small {
  font-size: 10px;
  font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans-Serif;
}

In the actual template control is anchor
Code (CSS)
Select All
a {
  font-weight: normal;
  color: #333366;
  font-family: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
  text-decoration: none;
                outline: 0;
}
a:hover {
  text-decoration: underline;
        outline: 0;
}
a:visited  {
  font-weight: normal;
 }

AND if not defined is depreciates to Body.

Easiest way to "see" is to open the website twice !  One is where your in Admin Center editing Source, to see the immediate result in the second opened window after saving the edit in the first, push ctrl F5 in the second.
   If your change .. changes "more" than you wanted, this is where you must separate and define.

IP Logged

gamemaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 1:49pm
Post Tools
I still dont' know or see where I can add the example code you provided to the Template from the Admin tool.  Is it the default Message Index? Does the code have to be placed at a specific line? 

"the actual template control is anchor"

OK, so at what line of code am I looking for to edit or add to once I'm at the template area.

I appreciate your input, but you're going to need to break this down for me like I'm a child.   I am still confused at the challenge here to edit those three columns of the Message Index display a font color similar to the Temp config preview.   Sad

Built on:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2GB DDR1
IIS 7.0
ActivePerl 5.10.7
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 4:01pm
Post Tools
ALL the "code" is within the CSS file your using ........

Quote:
One is where your in Admin Center editing Source,

Admin Center - Style Sheet - Source

IP Logged

gamemaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:07am
Post Tools
Thanks! I was looking in the wrong area of the Forum Layout section earlier.  I had forgot all about the source link being there under the Style Sheet.   

There's one thing I need help here with:

I can't figure out where that CSS code at for that text is at in the source.  The seperator is gray along with the text which make it near impossible to read.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:09am by gamemaster »  

Built on:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2GB DDR1
IIS 7.0
ActivePerl 5.10.7
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member