Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Public Perspective (Read 14,209 times)
Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Re: A Public Perspective
Reply #37 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 9:54pm
Post Tools
It's a matter of the devs not having much time to work on things for the past few months.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #36 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:43pm:
The next release is far from ready yet

Cry

Will the next version be the database one, or will there be an intermediate update before that particular holy grail?

(I won't hold anyone to it, just current plans - I'm suffering reliability issues at the moment, my query is to assist with the decision to put up with firefighting, or to do some little mods to protect the site (which will involve batch jobs to put all posts into a database, so when users do searches, I can fire SQL queries in, rather than load 80,000 files every time a user searches - so quite involved))

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #35 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:43pm
Post Tools
The next release is far from ready yet, anyway, so there is always time to play with design changes.  It's still a fresh update from what we had.

IP Logged

Carsten
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:29pm
Post Tools
Just to clearify: I did not make this new look for "YaBB Next Edition" i just fixed the css and menu bar to make it work with the "yabbforum.com" css/template and look more like intended by the author.

That said, i am a little disapointed about the 'new' look. I had the impression it was desided to give the next edition a different and more modern 'look and feel' - i don't really see that.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:34pm by »  

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #33 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:15pm
Post Tools
Personally, I didn't have any problem with the last iteration of the template, as it always seemed the orange letters were large enough to be read easily ... but there were some odd occurances which didn't look perfect.

The new version seems to get rid of those, and I have no problems of any sort with it.

Thanks, Carsten, for pitching in!

IP Logged

abc2030
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #32 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 5:04pm
Post Tools
much better, good job!

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #31 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 4:13pm
Post Tools
Thanks.  I applied that and the menu changes now.  Everyone, let me know what you think (don't forget to clear your temporary files before refreshing).
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2010 at 4:14pm by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

Carsten
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 11:49pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:59pm:
If someone wants to tackle that for me, please do.

FYI i attached a edited default.css for you in the 'Staff Concerns' board on Nov 19th, 2010 at 3:56am.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2010 at 11:56pm by »  

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:59pm
Post Tools
Actually, I agree the link and text colors/sizes here aren't great.  I've known that since I put up the new site over the summer.  I haven't had a great deal of time to spend on it, but I've run into a road block getting the CSS to behave due to using 2 stylesheets with classes named the same.  Short of changing how that's done, the CSS sheet for the forum needs to be changed to combat it so the site one can be left alone.

If someone wants to tackle that for me, please do.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:00pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Zoro wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:42pm:
Please help us and yourselves, and change it.  

How about looking at the screenshot of any released version to know what your forum could look like with a specific version.  As with any YaBB forum, it can be redesigned by each admin and even completely changed with a new template from the BoardMod.org site.
 We have always run the Next YaBB version Beta here first before releasing it to public, for testing, viewing and comment, Thank you for that.  The orange text is a matter of free choice ?  Something against that ?

I think I see Zoro's point - this is the showcase forum for YaBB.  We all know that it can be changed, and the Orange is not the standard, but potential new YaBBers will come here first, and first impressions last.

Comments meant to be nothing more than a constructive point of view Smiley

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 12:58am
Post Tools
Zoro wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:42pm:

How about looking at the screenshot of any released version to know what your forum could look like with a specific version.  As with any YaBB forum, it can be redesigned by each admin and even completely changed with a new template from the BoardMod.org site.
  We have always run the Next YaBB version Beta here first before releasing it to public, for testing, viewing and comment, Thank you for that.  The orange text is a matter of free choice ?  Something against that ?

IP Logged

Zoro

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:42pm
Post Tools
Jet Li wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:20am:
Again. Its only on this forum. Not the YaBB Beta Package.
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1286033749/19#19

Thank you for your message.  Yes, I realize this orange text appears on this forum.  However, this is The Forum Showcase which administrators view when deciding the selection of forum software for their website.  Administrators should not suffer with this excruciating orange text and perhaps decide the forum is not visually appealing to them and opt to choose some other software.

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:44pm by Zoro »  

“Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression...” — United Nations declaration
“The great and glorious masterpiece of man is to know how to live to purpose.” — Michel de Montaigne
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” — Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #25 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:20am
Post Tools
Zoro wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 4:40am:
but the forum text is excruciating on the eyes.  Please.

Again. Its only on this forum. Not the YaBB Beta Package.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1286033749/19#19

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Zoro

Reply #24 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 4:40am
Post Tools
Zoro wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 6:50am:
We agree.  As you noted, the new homepage has the community forums link on the left side of the header on the new logo.  The right side where the image of the 5 YaBB forum examples appears, links back to the root homepage.  Thus, I clicked on that image twice believing it will display the forums, then noticed I'm at the same place.  The link should also go to the community forums.

In addition to the YaBB logo containing a link to this showcase forum,  please adjust the right side of the top header to also link to the community forum.  Currently, the beautiful image of the various forum styles links back to the root website, rather than the actual forum as the image implies.  Frankly, I clicked on them several times before I had to begin "searching and wandering" for the direct link to the main page of the forum.

Also, the orange color for the logo is great, but the forum text is excruciating on the eyes.  Please.

“Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression...” — United Nations declaration
“The great and glorious masterpiece of man is to know how to live to purpose.” — Michel de Montaigne
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” — Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #23 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 6:56am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Oct 16th, 2010 at 6:07am:
In the end... still free.  Still open source.  What's your issue?

None - None and None!  Grin

I did read it just to be sure that there wasn't too much overemphasis on what was being proposed here.

Yeah! It's ok - Preamble is good - Then a few contradictions after that - but all in all much the same as the GPL "Unmodified"  Tongue

Quote:
YaBB has been completely ripped off in violation of GPL (take E-Blah's original source code and "new" features later on or YaBB SE aka SMF's original templates and graphics).

I think we all know that - Next week eBlah will no doubt have a "Variable" driven template system all created by the holy one himself.  Cheesy

But to me the GPL is the GPL - No fights, no arguments about who can or can't do what with what, and that's the way I like it.

You're entitled to charge for copyright removal as the founder of the script, but anything after that is in a pretty grey area.  Wink

I make mistakes - That's how I learn.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top