Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
 25 A Public Perspective (Read 14,052 times)
Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Re: A Public Perspective
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:20pm
Post Tools
I agree the Permalink feature needs improvement, but at least it's a start.

What does everyone else think about the recently added license for changing YaBB.pl?

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 2:39pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:36am:
With a .htaccess file, you can eliminate the YaBB.pl, index.pl, index.html or any filename from the URL.  Notice that we have done it here... http://www.yabbforum.com/community/.  In fact, I can make it so it never shows YaBB.pl very easily.

Yeah, I've used .htaccess to to tidy up the URL myself before now, but hiding YaBB.pl is going against the license now isn't it?

Corey Chapman wrote on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:36am:
Also, "friendly" and more meaningful "indexable" URLs is a built-in feature within the YaBB admin center.  I just don't have it turned on here.  This is in the advanced settings called PermaLink which puts the date, board name, and topic title in the URL using / like folders and removing all the ; and topic ID #.

Michael is right about Permalinks - it doesn't actually change the URL in the address bar, it just adds a link in the message index and message display for the topic.

Another slight issue with Permalinks is that it displays a link in message display under each individual post, but it still only links to the topic and not the actual post - which can seem a little confusing.

IP Logged

Michael Prager
Boardmod Team
Development Team

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 9:40am
Post Tools
I recently noticed that this permalink feature is not as powerful as it could be. It does NOT replace any links, it just adds an additional link to the message index for every topic  Tongue

Nail here for a new monitor! --> [x]
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:36am
Post Tools
With a .htaccess file, you can eliminate the YaBB.pl, index.pl, index.html or any filename from the URL.  Notice that we have done it here... http://www.yabbforum.com/community/.  In fact, I can make it so it never shows YaBB.pl very easily.

Also, "friendly" and more meaningful "indexable" URLs is a built-in feature within the YaBB admin center.  I just don't have it turned on here.  This is in the advanced settings called PermaLink which puts the date, board name, and topic title in the URL using / like folders and removing all the ; and topic ID #.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:47am by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:20am
Post Tools
Zoro wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 6:50am:
The YaBB.pl to index.pl fee needs to removed and the default setting should be set at index.pl, or with the option clearly available to administrators to choose.  At first, this may appear to be counter-productive, but there are advantages.
YaBB.pl may be fine to promote within this specific website, but elsewhere, it appears confusing since the forum messages contain a word, namely YaBB, which is unrelated to those websites. index.pl is marketable to any website, with the forum messages blending naturally with their websites' indexes such as index.htm, index.html, and index.shtml., especially LAMP (Linux, Apache...) servers.
No fee for this option simply makes it more appealing and marketable
Promoting index.pl instead of YaBB.pl will increase the use of YaBB community forum software over others

If you don't mind me saying, I do totally agree with Zoro on this - I have been meaning to mention it myself for some time now.

I know it probably seems quite trivial, but I do think something as simple as the URL can put some users off. Just by renaming YaBB.pl to index.pl would make the URL look a lot cleaner. Users could then even delete index.html from the yabb2 directory and access the forum with 'http://yoursite.com/forum/' without the need of using a redirect.

I would really like to see proper search engine friendly URL's in YaBB though, even if it was just an option for people on a *nix machine, and friendly URL's would ultimately mean having to hide YaBB.pl anyway...

Just my two penneth.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:31am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Zoro

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 6:50am
Post Tools

We are kindred spirits my friend.  I have been managing a non-profit website for many years and continue to do so with limited funding, often times supporting it with my own finances... a labor of love.  The sense of being environmentally and socially responsible and associating with similarly-minded businesses and organizations, effectively drives my passion forward and makes the world a better place.

It is a balancing act to manage a website and find ways to support it without having to pollute it with numerous ads as you often see throughout the Internet.  We are fortunate the YaBB website continues to be a breath of fresh air in the Internet.

Onward to this public perspective discussion:
  1. The YaBB.pl to index.pl fee needs to removed and the default setting should be set at index.pl, or with the option clearly available to administrators to choose.  At first, this may appear to be counter-productive, but there are advantages.
    • YaBB.pl may be fine to promote within this specific website, but elsewhere, it appears confusing since the forum messages contain a word, namely YaBB, which is unrelated to those websites. index.pl is marketable to any website, with the forum messages blending naturally with their websites' indexes such as index.htm, index.html, and index.shtml., especially LAMP (Linux, Apache...) servers.
    • No fee for this option simply makes it more appealing and marketable
    • Promoting index.pl instead of YaBB.pl will increase the use of YaBB community forum software over others
  2. We agree.
  3. We agree.  As you noted, the new homepage has the community forums link on the left side of the header on the new logo.  The right side where the image of the 5 YaBB forum examples appears, links back to the root homepage.  Thus, I clicked on that image twice believing it will display the forums, then noticed I'm at the same place.  The link should also go to the community forums.
  4. The feature of Member Profile Photos alongside the selection of an avatar would be unique to YaBB.  In general, the forum software should have an emphasis on community features.   Profile Photos, Profile Setting  (public|friends-only|off), Community Calendar, and AJAX Chat/Shoutbox (integrated|popup) features effectively makes YaBB a community forum software. Additionally, these functional changes 1 and 2 should also be implemented.
  5. We agree.  YaBB is one of the best systems at having "on/off" features controlled by the administrator.  Linux with Perl enables developers to pack features into this forum software to transform it into a community forum software.  Features will be the deciding factor in the rise in popularity of YaBB and its sustainability in the forum market.
The Open Source community is more suited to be socially and environmentally responsible, and the future of YaBB will be a source of inspiration for many years to come. While the sofware is free, I firmly believe administrators who have downloaded, installed, and built their successful online community with this software will reciprocate and donate to the YaBB project which allows them this freedom.

Zoro
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:02am by Zoro »  

“Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression...” — United Nations declaration
“The great and glorious masterpiece of man is to know how to live to purpose.” — Michel de Montaigne
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” — Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 7:53pm
Post Tools
Thank you for the great suggestions.  I'll reply to each.

1. The $50 file name change was added with the launch of this new site as a suggestion by the team.  We have debated it many times in the past and never officially added it as an option.  Our thought this time was that YaBB.pl as the filename is a promotional tool because YaBB then comes up directly in search engine results and it puts the YaBB name out there very publicly as a free and non-annoying (such as banner ads) advertising method for our free project.  The site runs completely at my expense and has cost me a lot of money over the years, so my hope was that if anyone every purchased it, it would be $50 to help cover costs.  Thoughts?

2.  I agree on the link colors.  This is actually an issue with the site CSS clashing with the forum CSS.  I have fixed some things with it here or there since the new site launch, but there are still several CSS issues I have to solve that have been a pain.

3.  I thought the same thing as you which is why I added the text "community forum" on the orange logo on the top left of all the pages.  It's one large graphic that links to the forum, along with the news articles on the main page linking to specific topics.  I also added a floating div to the top right of all the sub pages that links to the forum if you haven't notice it.  It actually shows your username if you are logged into the forum.  If you have a suggestion on where else to add a link, please let me know.

4.  The user ability to upload profile avatar pictures was enabled here, but I have to figure out a few things on the server setup to get it working again now that we are hosted by SourceForge.  The setup is a bit tricky, and that is one I haven't fully fixed yet.  As far as adding pictures to your profile as a photo album, this feature does not currently exist as a feature in YaBB by default.  This would be up to the devs if they think it is a commonly useful feature to add.

5.  YaBB is one of the best systems at having "on/off" features controlled by the admin and in some cases the user.  The biggest complaint we see in other systems is how bloated they are.  YaBB chooses wisely on what features to add to avoid this and provide ways to turn them off in most cases for people that want a clean and simple communication tool.  I believe YaBB has been a leader in this area.

IP Logged

Zoro

A Public Perspective
Aug 24th, 2010 at 7:12pm
Post Tools

Dear friends,

Congratulations on the new homepage! 

Companies invest millions of dollars to receive feedback from the public in order to market their products.  Since I enjoy the benefits of Perl and this community forum software, I would like to give my thoughts on some issues which are important to this project.
  1. Copyright removal donation of $150 is an acceptable option.  But, there should not be a $50 cost for administrators who simply wish to change YaBB.pl into index.pl to match the layout of their existing website indexes, for example, index.htm, index.html, or index.shtml.  There was a previous forum message on this subject before it was moved which detailed this issue.
  2. The orange color in the logo is nice, but the orange text displaying the forum messages link in this community forum is excruciating for viewing, effectively making it more difficult to follow the threads.  I realize we have the option to alter things, but this specific community forum is the showcase of YaBB. 
  3. Reaching this Community Forum from the main page was difficult to find.  I realize it may be easy for some, but it's difficult for the general public to reach the showcase forum to learn more of the benefits of this community software.
  4. Some community features are not implemented, such as member Profile pictures.  Again, there was a debate of the resources needed, etc., but I believe that option should be an administrator's choice depending on their server capacity.  The benefits of allowing a member the ability (admin option) to add five (5) photos to their profile, and the option to have their profile displayed to "everyone", "only their friends", or "off", would make YaBB a unique community forum with a feature which has been proven successful throughout the Internet.
  5. In summary, be open to requests and implement features with an administrator option to turn them on or off to appease both developers and administrators.  Development should not be based on what other forums may or may not be doing.  Sometimes, you may have to lead the way...
All the best for the open source community.

Zoro

“Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression...” — United Nations declaration
“The great and glorious masterpiece of man is to know how to live to purpose.” — Michel de Montaigne
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” — Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top