Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) whats happening with yabb..... (Read 4,616 times)
Jeff Smithey
God Member

Re: whats happening with yabb.....
Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 4:52am
Post Tools
Whoa with all the hostility at the get-go, haha. I used to use YaBB not all that long ago? Haha, I occasionally check out the forums every now and then, see if anything is happening. This is the one forum I have been on long enough to achieve that ranking to the left there.

Programming for no money or just getting work done, because you want to get it done can be a long process. Flowcharts, ideas/concepts broke down, thoughts on how to achieve them, and then putting them into motion, then fixing, then putting into motion... over and over and over again. That's a long process, haha. I am going to school right now for Software Development, just kinda to get that piece of paper and learn a few things.

I can tell you for sure that it takes me FOREVER to finish a website I am not going to get paid for and/or actually put a concept to the code process. I either figure out better ways to achieve effects easier routes to take. When it comes to the programming methods it takes a hell of a lot longer. Perl is not your Python or Java, Perl to me always looks like it can get a lot more intricate than those languages.

So, yeah I have seen since the day that I joined promises of YaBB2. I'll be the first to admit I didn't stick around for that, but I will be the first to say that YaBB is probably one of if not the oldest Bulletin Board software there is. The fact that any of these guys are still writing any of this code for this application is commendable. While so many other bulletin boards have died or had to start charging to get results out of their programmers...

Everybody loves to get free things, but will never put forth the work to make it faster. It's a simple case of put up or shut up, haha. Just saying... Give all the programmers a break ... you don't pay them. Or you could start paying them... yeah write Corey and everyone a check right now, the more zero's the more progress you get! Haha, fun game, no?

Current Stress Sources: Working on a completely new community site that I hope to go public with in a few months. So look out for that... or not. Whichever you want. Heh.&&&&
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #15 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 12:27am
Post Tools
The version with database implemented uses the Perl DBI module.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2010 at 8:42pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Sep 25th, 2010 at 1:21am:
@theBoy

As the likely engine will be MyISAM, native indexing (full text search) is a real possibility on a good setup.

I say that with the recognition that this is a double-edged blade, BUT the indexing will occur on the database server.

Just thinking out loud.

(lots of 'other' cools thoughts come to mind as well).

Wink

Thanks for info Cheesy

I suspect that it sounds like the database engine isn't confirmed, Y3 is still at least a year off  Cry

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 1:21am
Post Tools
@theBoy

As the likely engine will be MyISAM, native indexing (full text search) is a real possibility on a good setup.

I say that with the recognition that this is a double-edged blade, BUT the indexing will occur on the database server.

Just thinking out loud.

(lots of 'other' cools thoughts come to mind as well).

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:24am
Post Tools
YaBB has always worked on most if not all browsers to my knowledge... I've used it on IE 6, 7, 8 and FireFox myself.  Testing on IE 9 isn't really viable until it's out of beta, and there aren't a lot of people that can run it yet.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 6:54pm
Post Tools
I'm toying with going another way - as I back up my forum to a Windows host every hour, wondering about running a script on the windows host that puts every post into a SQL database, then creating a subdomain on windows host to run the search side of things via asp/asp.net

Guess it depends on how long YaBB3 is likely to be as to whether its worth developing that  Undecided

IP Logged

chillipepper

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 2:37pm
Post Tools
RonS2 wrote on Sep 21st, 2010 at 2:15pm:
I've tested it with FireFox 3.6.10 and IE9. It works on both.

Thats great But as IE9 is still a beta and xp users cant use IE9 sure testin with IE8 etc might need to be done as so many are still on xp  Wink

RonS2 its still an nice idea you tryed to give users with the bigger boards..

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 2:15pm
Post Tools
I've tested it with FireFox 3.6.10 and IE9. It works on both.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 8:43pm
Post Tools
I need something that works with the majority of browsers, be that IE (around 75% of my community), Firefox, Safari, whatever.

Hence, I'll have to wait until YaBB's search improves, and that is not really achievable until Y3

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 1:58pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Sep 17th, 2010 at 8:16pm:
(for me, mainly for one reason only, Y2's search is appallingly bad)

I set this up on my forum and use it with the latest version of FireFox
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Creating_OpenSearch_plugins_for_Firefox

Works Really Nice!

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
As someone who has also pondered Y3's arrival (for me, mainly for one reason only, Y2's search is appallingly bad), I too have (im)patiently waited for 'the next stage'.

Deti did a stunning job, and the lost of Deti shows.

BUT YaBB is bigger than 1 person, and does appear to moving onwards.

I think YaBB did lose its focus when one of the previous, abandonned Y3 went down the 'trendy' route, trying to reinvent itself, and needing to be a total rewrite in order to achieve some Holy Grail.  It was simply too big a task.  I'm guessing (hoping) its the reason for the massive timespam between 2.4 and 2.5

The current idea of evolution is more realistic imho.

I think because they took their eye off the ball, YaBB could do with some regular updates to help it play catch-up.  Thats possibly not achievable in itself, as the next 2 enhancements are fairly significant architectural changes.

Maybe, the db support should go in first, and the sub boards follow as a quick update after. Or vice versa.

That said, I like YaBB as it is (search aside!), but it does need a good freshen up!

IP Logged

chillipepper

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 8:59am
Post Tools
Thanks Corey for the reply,Am i reading right that there 2 new versions but none as been put in CVS

Will heres my 2cents worth
I think 1 big thing that as very much hurt yabb over last few years is the lack of an Database as so many host dont want anything that dont have an db backend..
I run my own server and i ok with flat files but i think in a very big intrest for yabb to get an workin db yabb.It must be so hard for an admin/owner of an yabb site which may have been runnin for years to get told that they will not keep there forum on there host servers.(That would make me sick)and this is where afew start to regret usein the software,,but with an db backend this could change for the good of yabb.for many many years on this forum i think from about 2006 theres been talk talk talk about workin on an db and every year theres nothin but just some roodmap to yabb3 which as never been kept upto date or just info for yabbers to wait for..also from what i read yabb was at the front of bb software but now as it might be the best file flat bb software we are fallin well behind as to what host server want and after all its the host that run the software.YES some host run to the bare min and host sites which are not the best for bb but we want yabb on as many host out there and people talkin about yabb for the right thing instead of flat files..

also i see there and other ver thats have subboards new template etc etc all workin but yet not in CVS again theres so many admin which have big Yabb boards and as been cryin out for this to be inputed into yabb..and as sub boards is the standerd in and all bb this should be released asap just to help out them bigger boards,

You say that your lookin for someone to put theses 2 verions into 1 and this could take abit of time even longers as dev team is very low and busy,this dont sound good but on the other hand there are 2 new workin verions..maybe get just 1 of them out and that would be an good new start and let get people talkin about yabb all for the right resons ay..all this bad talk is no GOOD..

I know all you guys want the best for yabb and puts lots of lots time into it and things do take time.but while people are are putin down our sytem and low on dev members and long waits between versions..(Yes i only its only afew months from last release) but after all the hype and an whoopin 14 months wait for 2.5 AE many people was abit sad to see what came out..plus many many boards had been kept 2.4.what makes this even worst is the of the roadmap that was layed out over 12months ago with Yabb3..no thats an deadend and for the time being we keepin the same codebase lets get something out that people want...

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 12:16am
Post Tools
My hope was that removing XIMinc as a sponsor and more importantly launching this totally new website would help revive the project.  A fresh face, more useful pages, and better site navigation... unfortunately has not been quite the push I hoped for.

There are two separate implementations not committed to CVS yet.  One has more Ajax, an event calendar, sub boards, a new template, and many other new features.  The other has MySQL support using DBI.  Now we have to figure out who wants to merge the database code into the other code and tweak it to work with sub boards too.  Once we get that task done, we'll have some of (if not the) biggest change YaBB has seen in its history.  Right now the plan is to keep using the same code base rather than rewriting.  If we can accomplish the list we've put together, we'll have the best version of YaBB by far yet.  We're really not drastically far from it, but not many devs have time right now.  I think once we get that out, that should definitely breathe new life into YaBB that the site has not because it's what everyone really wants.

IP Logged

chillipepper

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:53pm
Post Tools
Thanks guys for takein the time to post up alittle with whats goin on,and i 1 to know how much work all the team have put into yabb and still do..Just that i check on here and boardmod most days and have seen it slowly go down hill (well that what i think myself) am hopein the new release will help Yabb to pickup alot better,which might just bring afew more new coders and ideas.so i ask how far are we away from the next release? i do understand you can not give the date or even month but maybe an idea just so we know how long to expect to be waitin  Wink

on another note i have an question about if yabb had an database..
Would this make it better and easyer for other forum to convert over to yabb?
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:53pm by chillipepper »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 7:16pm
Post Tools
I'll agree totally with the Captain, and make an explanation:

When new ideas (think functionality - like Database Support or SubForums) are being tinkered with, the Source Code is forked (broken off into a new branch) generally one for each Big Idea.  In the meantime, the main branch (tree trunk, if you will) is being maintained (bug fixes and new features) to provide for a new release.

Meanwhile the experimenters work on 'their Big Bang theory' albeit separately.

So you know, we had 3 Big Ideas - Version 3 (lets not beat that one), SubForums, and Database Support - all in their own branches.

To bring any of them into the main branch (production release OR beta), all the code has to be tested as a whole (an 'alpha') with a prescribed set of features.

And the person who makes all that happen - Jet Li (aka Jeffrey)  Its a huge task.

Many Thanks to Jet Li  Wink

I hope this help explain things a bit.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top