Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Members' Email Notifications "just don't" in 2.4 (Read 1,222 times)
Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Members' Email Notifications "just don't" in 2.4
Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 1:14pm
Post Tools

Welcome ......
Jerry Krinock wrote on Sep 25th, 2010 at 7:22am:
But YaBB itself writes files in Members with 0644 permissions.

YaBB does not, it calls the Perl equivalent write, but the server OS does the actual writing to disk.  That's why we state or higher.  Example a 755 is ample permission to run the perl scripts (*.pl), "BUT some servers" require 766 or even 777 to allow.
  It's not the htaccess file, I have installed many (and I never change that file nor index.html to 666). but again, doesn't hurt.
  Good Luck.  "If" you have future problems (you shouldn't), see the YaBB Codex here:  http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1191987211
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2010 at 1:31pm by »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 7:22am
Post Tools
Thank you, Captain.  Progress is being made.

Quote:
possible ... that's why are setup guide states folders must be 755 or higher, files should be 666 or higher (but not executable) in ./Members, ./Boards, ./Messages and ./Variables.
Indeed, I found the documentation regarding permissions:
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190671906, and it is as you say.

So I changed the files in ./Members to 0666, logged in as my test user, went to my test thread, un-set "Get Notifications", re-set "Get Notifications".  Then a thread id was added to the value in .vars 'thread_notifications'.  I logged in as another user, posted a message and my test user received a notification.

Then I created another new user.  But YaBB created her three files in ./Members with 0644 permissions.  Arghh.  But wait, there's more.  Despite the 0644 permissions, when I logged in as this new new users, turned on Email Notifications, and turned on "Get Notifications" for a thread, the 'notify_me' and 'thread_notifications' in .vars were updated, and an email was sent.

So it seems to be fixed, but new users don't need the fix.  The only possible explanation I can think of is that there is one common file in ./Members, which is .htaccess.  Maybe this was 0644 and changing it to 0666 fixed the problem for all members.  Another possibility is that, as an experiment, I changed the permissions on ./Members itself from 0755 to 0775.  But documentation says that 0755 is adequate.

Quote:
Have you checked the ./Boards folder for a *.mail file ?  When a notification is made this file is written.  For example a Notification is requested for the "General Bd., the file general.mail is created.
OK, these .mail files seem to list users that have requested board-wide notifications, which is only me.  I don't think this is relevant.

Quote:
Have you checked the ./Messages folder for a *.mail file ?  When a notification is requested for a Thread this file is written.
OK, I see that.  It lists the members who have requested notifications.  Interestingly, again YaBB writes them with 0644 permissions.

Quote:
The username.vars file would then show:
'notify_me',"1"    <-<-<- By Email
'board_notifications',"general"
'thread_notifications',"1278001551"
Thank you!  That confirms what I suspected.

So it seems to be fixed, but I'm not sure and still confused.  That documentation says "ALL the other files should be set at 666, especially files under the Members and Messages folders."  But YaBB itself writes files in Members with 0644 permissions.

Enough for today, though.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 3:04am
Post Tools
possible ... that's why are setup guide states folders must be 755 or higher, files should be 666 or higher (but not executable) in ./Members, ./Boards, ./Messages and ./Variables.
Have you checked the ./Boards folder for a *.mail file ?  When a notification is made this file is written.  For example a Notification is requested for the "General Bd., the file general.mail is created.
  Have you checked the ./Messages folder for a *.mail file ?  When a notification is requested for a Thread this file is written.  For example 1278001551.mail
  The username.vars file would then show:
'notify_me',"1"    <-<-<- By Email
'board_notifications',"general"
'thread_notifications',"1278001551"
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2010 at 3:16am by »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 9:56pm
Post Tools
Regarding junking, I checked through the Trash (my email client is Apple Mail.app) and found nothing.

But now there's more.  Although I clicked "Get Notification" in this thread on this board, I didn't get a notification of your reply yesterday.  And it's not in my Trash either, at least not if it includes the search text "Yabb" anywhere, which certainly it would have.

Quote:
Does the yabb2/Members folder and files within have the correct CHMODs ?
Octal 0755, and the files inside are 0644.  That seems to be correct.

Regarding the .vars file lines which I pasted in, is it correct what I have assumed, that 'notify_me' means "Email notifications", and that if I have clicked the "Get Notification" button for a thread, its number should be listed in 'thread_notifications'?  If so, then I would say that since 'thread_notifications' is an empty string, that indicates the problem is that the notification is not being sent, because the "Get Notification" button and "Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic" button are not writing to the .vars file.  Correct?

Thank you!

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 12:42am
Post Tools
  Is it possible notification emails are getting junked ?  A lot of email clients junk any email automatically if not a legitimate reply or contains an url within.

Jerry Krinock wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 4:36am:
So then I dug into the YaBB Members directory, and in the .vars file for my test member, I found this:
Code:

'notify_me',"1"
'board_notifications',""
'thread_notifications',""

Does the yabb2/Members folder and files within have the correct CHMODs ?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Members' Email Notifications "just don't" in 2.4
Sep 23rd, 2010 at 4:36am
Post Tools
For months now, Members have been telling me that Email Notifications "just don't work" in my YaBB 2.4 Board.  But they've always worked fine for me (admin).

Tonight I confirmed that they are correct…

• In my board setup, I verify that I have checked ON "Allow users to enable email notifications for boards/threads listed in 'My Notifications' when a new message is posted?"
  • I log out and then back in as a test Member-grade user.
  • In the User CP ▸ Profile, I click User CP ▸ Profile ▸ Contact Info and set the email address to my personal email account, in which I receive hundreds of emails every day in my email client.  Then I click "Save Changes".
  • I click Profile ▸  Options ▸ Post and Board Notifications ▸ and set "Notify me of new Notifications by email" to "Yes".  Then I click "Save Changes".
  • I write a message in a new topic, and then before clicking "Post Message", I check ON "Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic."
  • I log out, and then back in as admin.
  • I reply to the message.
  • I wait 15 minutes and check my email

Expected result: Two email notifications, one to my "admin" email and one to my personal email.

Actual result: Just one, the usual to my "admin" email.

Repeated the whole thing, same result.

So then I dug into the YaBB Members directory, and in the .vars file for my test member, I found this:
Code
Select All
'notify_me',"1"
'board_notifications',""
'thread_notifications',""

Comparing with my admin account and doing a little reverse engineering, I believe that maybe 'notify_me' means "Email notifications", and that "1" is expected, but 'thread_notifications' should list the ID number of the thread that I just subscribed to.

So I logged back in to YaBB as my test user.  In Profile ▸  Options ▸ Post and Board Notifications, I found that "Notify me of new Notifications by email" is still "Yes".  Oddly, though, the "Get Notifications" button at the top of the thread I had subscribed to was enabled.  So I clicked it, and it changed to "Del. Notifications".  But upon refreshing the .vars file, I still see that 'thread_notifications' is an empty string.

I posted another message as admin, but again, my Member's email still has not received anything.

Someone please suggest what to do next  Smiley

Jerry Krinock

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top