Poll
Poll Question: Which forum features/design should YaBB more closely resemble?

« Last Modified by: Corey Chapman on: Oct 8th, 2010 at 7:29pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Future of YaBB Design (Read 30,172 times)
Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
The Future of YaBB Design
Oct 2nd, 2010 at 3:35pm
Post Tools
We're curious...  If you could merge features and design from multiple forum systems to change the way YaBB is today, which software system(s) would you want YaBB to model?  YaBB has been a leader which led to most of these other systems, but they all have their own "flavor."  What is the future flavor of YaBB?

IP Logged

Lopa

Re: The Future of YaBB Design
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 12:22am
Post Tools
Dunno Corey,

I'm working on giving it a new look not only for myself - But for anyone who wants it.  Wink

I make mistakes - That's how I learn.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:16am
Post Tools
The forum's starting to look absolutely loads better. Very nice!

And I think YaBB should try to look like YaBB, and not try to look like any other forum software.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:16am
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:16am:
The forum's starting to look absolutely loads better. Very nice!

And I think YaBB should try to look like YaBB, and not try to look like any other forum software.

Totally agree with above.
If a user wanted yabb to look like another software then it would make more sense to just use it instead.

Features are another matter, in the past I required a calendar but had to wait before upgrading due to it being a mod and developer being busy, others might have went elsewhere instead of waiting.

I really do not think you folk appreciate how good this forum is, the design is sleek and software is user friendly. Once database (mysql) comes online you will blow away the competition.

I think you should advertise in wider communities for help (more developers) as this really is worth fighting for and supporting.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Robert Washer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 12:07pm
Post Tools
This design is really awesome! Smiley You really should keep it like this! Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 12:24pm
Post Tools
to be honist yabb is fine the way it is but it needs (sub boards/sub forums) the profile needs to be more like a social networking home page in this time of social networking as this wod move yabb more to why sum ppl ues social networking when it shod be a forum and yabb is up for this as it is updateing how it is looks and works its time to put yabb back on top and keep it there

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 12:36pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 12:24pm:
but it needs (sub boards/sub forums)

Its on this forum installed. Just wait for it from Corey. Currently we testing. Its in YaBB 3.0 beta.

Follow the Process on this topic: YaBB Bugs/ToDo List
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2010 at 12:37pm by Jet Li »  

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 1:39pm
Post Tools
Facebook destroyed my family forum, maybe its something to be aware of for future development?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

tester20080326
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 5:24pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 1:39pm:
Facebook destroyed my family forum, maybe its something to be aware of for future development?
It is even worse with myspace.  You may have a site at myspace for years, and suddenly myspace deletes it without any questions, and then just says oops, our mistake.  Unfortunately, once they have deleted a site at myspace it cannot be recovered, and is gone permanently.   That is why you keep finding thousands of duplicate sites on myspace, because the owners want to do some small protection against their content and site formating getting deleted, which seems to be an accepted thing that occurs with myspace and it seems with facebook too.  Also, if I recall correctly, a while back content ownership taken by facebook was a big deal.  This meaning that facebook was taking complete ownership of what ever got posted to facebook.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 5:51pm
Post Tools
I think, rather than dreaming about future possibilities, YaBB needs to concentrate on finally getting YaBB 3 out, and not allowing other things to get in the way of that.  I think YaBB has had too many false starts, caused by trying to be 'trendy'.  I suspect another false start could be the death of YaBB.

The flat file has worked well, but definately has upper limits, which are, I suspect, detracting many would be YaBBers away.  For example, a full search of my site takes approx 15 minutes of CPU time - far from ideal!

Yet the flat file is ideal for small site, and is dead easy to set up.  So get YaBB3 out now, and you have it covered from small hobby sites right up to massive, busy sites.

Delay YaBB3 too long, you'll have too small a group of followers to allow YaBB to survive. And that would be sad.

Lack of information about YaBB3 must also be hurting.  The current YaBB3 incarnation is already a year late, and the previous incarnations faded into death with little information coming out.

My own view, get YaBB3 out ASAP, then quickly afterwards release (inevitable, given the architecture change) bug fixes and the new features.  But I am but just one person....

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 5:52pm
Post Tools
The above post was not intended to sound as negative as it comes across  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 5:57pm
Post Tools
Asking about the design is nothing to do with a false start or delaying YaBB 3.  I was really just curious as I've seen these older and even newer systems overtake YaBB very quickly.  We're behind in a couple other areas, not just the database, so I was wondering which systems have the "looks", "features", and "feel" that everyone wants. 

Getting the database version out has been a challenge probably due to the skill developers have and the difficulty of rewriting existing or new code to make it work with a database.  That hurdle has existed for about 8 years.  It's much easier said than done, so if a few people that have Perl and/or database coding knowledge would like to join the team, they are more than welcome.  With only a few active developers who are all currently tied up, not much is going to happen as you can see.  This one hurdle is a tough one but once overcome would revive the project I believe.

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 6:25pm
Post Tools
My thoughts ... I can't suggest any system I would like to see YaBB be more like because from what I've seen, YaBB has more features than any of the other systems out there.

Which isn't to say there aren't still improvements that can be made, but that YaBB is far enough ahead for me that it is a matter of 'this feature would be a cool addition' rather than 'wish YaBB were more like X.'

And since the two biggest needs are for databases and subboards, and rumor is those may be available in a matter of days or weeks, I think YaBB is doing well, overall.

As to the look of the forum, when I came to visit today for the first time in a couple of weeks (have been getting a new computer set up), the current template seemed slightly over-bright, just a tad garish, but within a couple of minutes I was used to it, and it now seems fine.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 7:23pm
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 5:57pm:
Asking about the design is nothing to do with a false start or delaying YaBB 3.  I was really just curious as I've seen these older and even newer systems overtake YaBB very quickly.  We're behind in a couple other areas, not just the database, so I was wondering which systems have the "looks", "features", and "feel" that everyone wants.  

Getting the database version out has been a challenge probably due to the skill developers have and the difficulty of rewriting existing or new code to make it work with a database.  That hurdle has existed for about 8 years.  It's much easier said than done, so if a few people that have Perl and/or database coding knowledge would like to join the team, they are more than welcome.  With only a few active developers who are all currently tied up, not much is going to happen as you can see.  This one hurdle is a tough one but once overcome would revive the project I believe.

You have kind of agreed with my point in a round about way - you have limited developers (to the point Y3 is in jeopardy?), my view is they need to concentrate on Y3, not take their eye off the ball to play features/templates etc.

Sadly, my Perl skills are too basic to assist. The best help I can be is as a showcase of a fairly large YaBB site running on very modest resources.

IP Logged

chillipepper

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:54pm
Post Tools
This new Template is 100% absolutely better,Well done guys  Wink
Will look forward to 2.6 soon...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top