Poll
Poll Question: Which forum features/design should YaBB more closely resemble?

« Last Modified by: Corey Chapman on: Oct 8th, 2010 at 7:29pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Future of YaBB Design (Read 30,148 times)
d3reference

Re: The Future of YaBB Design
Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:49pm
Post Tools
looks very good.

as a forum admin the 3 mosts important things are:
1) security (yabb is probably the best in this area compared to all other forum software). if u don't have security nothing else matters.

2) mysql db (perhaps the one advantage of not having a database, is there can't be SQL injection).  but there is no excuse for it happening anyways, should be easy to prevent.  i had to leave yabb for vbulletin b/c my site outgrew flat-file file system

3) search engine optimization features built-in (url rewriting etc). critical for owners looking to monetize their site. need something liek http://vbseo.com. ; my page rank went from 1 to 5 ever since using vbseo

conclusion)

looks are not the most important thing to me, actually probably one of the least important.  site just needs to "work", be simple, secure, and able to scale for growth (sql db), and easy to monetize

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #16 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 12:37am
Post Tools
Dear Corey:

First, let me thank you for investing (or should I say, re-investing) your time in this effort to get YaBB running again.  Earlier this year, I feared YaBB as a project was "broken for good". I'm speaking both as a member of the YaBB support team and the admin of four YaBB forms, so I think my view is pretty balanced.

First, I'm not very fond of the poll question itself.  It infers we (YaBB) don't have any good ideas ourselves, we should be 'someone else'.  I don't think you meant it quite that way, but that's the take I got on it at first glance (and why I didn't vote on it).  Maybe the YaBB choice on the poll should say instead "Leave the design the way it is, and add "functionality" (as others have already said).  Notice I didn't say "features".

In particular, I mean database functionality.  Very specific and on point -- One database, One engine support.  For now -- MySQL, MyISAM, others can wait.  As a corollary to that, I support the digging out "transcoding/on-the-fly transliteration" from YaBB and switching to UTF-8. It's my belief this ONE (albeit major) change can turn YaBB around.

Here's why I believe going to "database" can really turn the corner, almost by itself, and some other requirements.

A. - Properly implemented, it would allow current YaBB formus that convert to the database version to use 'hooking'.  (Even better -- later -- a simple YaBB API).  One of the big "holdbacks." is Perl itself -- a language that requires dedication and love to master.  With a database version, YaBB developers/admins will be able to use other languages (likely PHP) to build add-ons

B. - As noted in the prior paragraph, we have to get to UTF-8, as that is what almost all CMS's  use in their database backend.  Then, we can just 'pull' YaBB into WordPress, Joomla, or Driupal (that's 80% to 90% of what's out there) or vice-versa. (OK, a little over-simplification)

C. - Database will also enable us to more easily enable multiple login methods.  I see Jeff has worked on OpenID Login, which is also a good thing. I have a completed proposal for multiple logins,  I will detail it in a separate post (I've been working on it for some time).

There will be a hiuge code cleanup in this - and all the 'other cool stuff' we want for the new YaBB will be incredibly simpler.  

One last thing -- Please, Please, Please Ditch Forever the words 'YaBB 3' and any pages/sections about it -- It's a constant reminder of a failure to keep promises.  Software Development Is ALL ABOUT Promise Keeping.  No one wants to invest their valuable time in dead-end projects.  This is particularly true for personal interest projects where time is scarce, and there's no paycheck.  The software battlefield is full of dead soldier applications -- that the developers and adopters have literally poured their lifeblood into only to see it bleed to death.  

So I suggest we keep the YaBB we love, and make it better. We probably also need a new name and release hierarchy. I suggest YaBB-NX (New Experience) or something along those lines - I think the AE idea was a good one, let's keep it going

Quick summary -- YaBB Next Release = Database, no other features, only one thing - get database support working!

I know this team can do it, that's why I'm here.

(now I need that missing Cheers smiley)

Wink

BTW - this weekend's overhaul looks great  Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #17 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:38am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Oct 4th, 2010 at 12:37am:
Quick summary -- YaBB Next Release = Database, no other features, only one thing - get database support working!

Absolutely bang on correct imho. Its going to be a big architectural change, that even with the best will in the world, and best testing, there are going to be flaws that come to light once released, I would envisage a few quick bug fixes. Then after this, that is the time to release enhancements.

As to dropping flat file, I can see both sides of that.  YaBB probably attracts a lot of small sites due to its ease, and no requirement for a database server.  But to counter that, supporting one 'backend' would make the overstretched devs live's easier.  Multiple backends could also stiffle exciting new features, or worse, fragment YaBB badly.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #18 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:41am
Post Tools
BTW, Corey, I like the return of the blue - much easier on the eye, the orange/grey was a bit much.

When I upgraded to 2.5, I had to use a few of the 2.4 layout files to maintain the user details on the left, rather than at the top (which imho makes the thread pages tediously longer).  Will there be an (working Wink) option to choose either in future versions?

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #19 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:49am
Post Tools
Quote:
User Info Style in Posts for all Templates (Admin/User Option)

Currently future Version can set in Admin Center if you want left or top. Wink

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1286066452

The Boy wrote on Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:41am:
BTW, Corey, I like the return of the blue - much easier on the eye, the orange/grey was a bit much.

This is only on this forum. Original Color see Attachment.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:51am by Jet Li »  

boardlinks-color.png ( 39 KB | 173 Downloads )
boardlinks-color.png

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #20 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:52am
Post Tools
Jet Li wrote on Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:49am:
Quote:
User Info Style in Posts for all Templates (Admin/User Option)

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1286066452

The Boy wrote on Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:41am:

This is only on this forum. Original Color see Attachment.

Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

d3reference

Reply #21 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:24am
Post Tools
yeah its all about the database.  i would rather have a DB and a layout that looks worse than previous versions =)

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #22 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 2:07pm
Post Tools
Mods are very easy to install using boardmod.
Plus adding mods to other forum software is either hit or miss and some you would need to be a coder to get it right.

Very few Themes used in other software are pleasing to the eye, but in all fairness the last few used here have been excellent, even going back to 1.4

phpBB have two forums running (area 51) and there is an easy link at the bottom to boardmod  Smiley

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

king_of_caos
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #23 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 3:32pm
Post Tools
Hi All yabb people

Great New design - fantastic ....  

regards
King Of Cheesy Caos
Denmark

IP Logged

Unilat
Development Team
Theme Team

Reply #24 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
Haha, told you they would like the template Smiley

Hopefully the css issues from the main site will be changed to stop the conflicts soon?

IP Logged

Outumuro
Documentation Team
Operations Team

Reply #25 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 6:49am
Post Tools
What I believe Corey was asking was not so much the look of a given template or theme (I do like this latest one a lot)... but is more about features, functions and layout.  Function A is on the right instead of the left.  Feature X doesn't exist in YaBB (in the forum or as a mod), but is common in most other forums.  Forum Y implements Feature Z really well, how could it be implemented or designed better in YaBB?  This is what I got from Corey's poll and question.

Yes, YaBB is very secure... that has been one of YaBB's hallmarks for years.  Yes, database support is critical for the future... but it will take LOTS of testing, maintenance releases and security updates; adding databases will bring with it some security issues.  We have to be ready for that.

Sub-boards are needed too and coming.  This is something that the community and devs have wanted for a long time... and we're nearing that point.

Totally agree that UTF-8 is a must and long overdue.

I like that OpenID is coming.  This ia web standard that is finally seeing support from other app developers, and from browser developers.

True the focus needs to be on databases and sub-boards, and there are not as many coders on the dev team as would be preferable... but we're not working in a vacuum and too much focus can lead to burnout too.

Social networking features on a forum may sound like cheese bread to some, and hate to burst anyone's bubble... but social networking is a reality now.  Facebook, MySpace, Twiiter, and many other have taken a huge hit on and surpassed the popularity of forums.  I've been an admin since the BBS days 28 years ago, the BBS succumbed  to the Internet forum, now forums are doing the same... as social networking is the next step in the evolution.  We've all heard the phrase, "thinking outside the box"... that creates the next box, which is where we are now.

As forum developers, we can stick to our box and lose relevancy.  Or look not just ahead, but also today as what is the new box and how to work with it.  That said, we can do that and still work on databases and sub-boards too.  Such as not only adding OpenID logins, but also supporting the Facebook API in YaBB so FB users can login, like and share within YaBB; adding tweet & retweet options out to Twitter... at least these by default, and additional social networking options as mods over on BoardMod.

Just my .02 pesos. Wink

IP Logged

Trezax
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #26 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 2:37pm
Post Tools
I like the current template thats up now to be honest.

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #27 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 4:29pm
Post Tools
Short personal opinion ... I preferred having the topic tools just shown, rather than having to click an additional menu for them.

Might just be me, though.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #28 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 8:12am
Post Tools
batchman wrote on Oct 16th, 2010 at 4:29pm:
Short personal opinion ... I preferred having the topic tools just shown, rather than having to click an additional menu for them.

Might just be me, though.

I agree, and I also think that having to click to view the options will confuse new users...

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #29 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 9:30am
Post Tools
Personally I like them, but there's an Admin option to enable/disable them anyway, so you can stick to the normal buttons or text if you prefer...
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2010 at 9:37am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top