Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) YaBB Design (Read 2,871 times)
Lopa

YaBB Design
Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:33am
Post Tools
Corey Chapman wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 5:57pm:
I was really just curious as I've seen these older and even newer systems overtake YaBB very quickly.  We're behind in a couple other areas, not just the database, so I was wondering which systems have the "looks", "features", and "feel" that everyone wants.

IMHO YaBB like most other forum software should run with only ONE default theme (My preference is the "Blue" 2.4 default?) and leave the theme mods up to other people

We've talked about this Corey - What makes YaBB themes difficult is no-one wants to stuff around with editing umpteen files be it perl or .templates - and that's where people drop off, because they can't get themes that they want to use that suits their site or the message they are trying to get across.

Adding extra things/mods should be easy for them - providing one doesn't or hasn't modified the "base code" just to make a theme - and that's where YaBB falls in a hole.

It's not theme-flexible and that's where config files come into play when creating themes - Look, I've dropped this in a few places on this board - But if anyone wanted to change the appearance, they only need to edit a .cfg file and NOT touch the core files, which means of course NO mods are affected.

Too Easy to create new themes - And that's what the "Base-Default" YaBB theme needs to add irrespective of what theme is ultimately chosen for YaBB!

One would be surprised as to how easy this is (Though not finished) for a non-perl person like myself - But then after all it's only html called with a .cfg file.  Wink

Which YaBB lacks!  Grin

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cranky65/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

Edit:
Afterthought:

This is supposed to be a support board - all mods and templates should be available here!  Roll Eyes

edited subject
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:16am by »  

I make mistakes - That's how I learn.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: The Future of YaBB Design
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 3:47pm
Post Tools
Lopa wrote on Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:33am:
But then after all it's only html called with a .cfg file.  Wink

Which YaBB lacks!  Grin

mmmm not so ... Our MOD (Modifing) site, "BoardMOD.org" does use the cfg file.  Install any of the different templates available there (instructions available), add the cfg file and select the new template in the forum settings and walla .. new skin w/CSS.
  Our own YaBB Codex explains where to upload premade Templates, how to edit CSS and on BoardMOD, there is even a template MOD that allows selection of different colors (CSS), allowing numerous looks with a simple drop down box.
  Skinning is extremely easy with YaBB.

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 10:28am
Post Tools
Quote:
mmmm not so ...

Ok CJ - you've caught me with my pants down because I haven't looked at BoardMod because I didn't really see any reason to.  Wink

I took YaBB - bare-bones, - as is - no frills - and thought I could make some themes for this!

And being used to template.cfg hooks and vars - I decided that, that's how I was going to run with this or drop dead for the want of doing it over and over with different hooks for each theme? etc, etc.

The point I'm trying to make is that the "Default.template" theme has neither hooks, vars or a .cfg file - Neither does any other file.pl that I can see.

And that's what YaBB core files are lacking - Default hooks so that they don't have to be modified with Apache ModWrite or whatever to install a theme?  Cry Cry

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:06pm
Post Tools
Lopa wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 10:28am:
they don't have to be modified with Apache ModWrite

and not that nor BoardMOD are required to install themes/skins to YaBB.  Simply upload the templates, add the cfg file and done.   Maybe you should have availed yourself of the procedure.

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 11:23pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Maybe you should have availed yourself of the procedure.

I have,
Learned Nothing,
We're on different wavelengths,
We're getting off topic,
Will pick it up again later in a different thread or the template forum.  Wink

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

YaBB Design
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:14am
Post Tools
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:17am by »  

IP Logged

Lopa

Re: YaBB Design
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:11am
Post Tools
CJ, you are being more than helpful, but we're not on the same path.

I understand Carsten's  Formula 1 Template Configuration, and I do understand .css and html.

I stopped running support sites for themes for various forum software - because I was doing all of the work and all of the paying for it and for very little thanks as expected, until I got tired of it. Also my "Private Web Space" - though it does have .php and .pl it does not come with MySQL Cry

Else I probably wouldn't be here at YaBB!  Grin Wink

Maybe I should rent some space with GoDaddy for a month so I can access a MySQL DB and put some of this stuff up - or load it all into XAMPP grab some html shots and post them where I am - Don't know - will work something out.

I downloaded army_green from BoardMod - And as I said earlier "Something has to modify the .pl files" whether it be apache modwrite or anything else that MUST write to the core files to effectively install a complete theme as complex as that.  Cry

So I installed army_green.mod - took the liberty of re-naming it.mod and editing the script to match - Tried to install the "Renamed One" and got about 13 errors "Can't Find" etc.

I deleted the BoardMod cache - Can't uninstall army_green - - - - - -  Angry Angry Wink

And it goes on!  Cry

I can stop all of that and the fact that BoardMod will no longer be required to install and/or modify core .pl files for themes - and uninstall them with a flick of a switch rather than have to use BM or do it manually.  Tongue

So I'm going to ask a question in another thread - and if it can be done - Then I'll have all of the tools and script to explain it in full detail. If it can't (which I doubt) then what I'm trying to do just becomes a learning experience and a waste time.  Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:11am by Lopa »  

IP Logged

Jet Li
Legacy Dev Team
Development Team

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:22am
Post Tools
Lopa wrote on Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:11am:
I deleted the BoardMod cache - Can't uninstall army_green

Hold CTRL and click the Checkbox to checked. After that uncheck the Checkbox without hold CTRL Button to uninstall it.

PM me for YaBB Installation Service
WWWGTalkFacebook  
IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 8:26am
Post Tools
Thanks Jet Li,
btw - I'm using 2.4 for this exercise.  Smiley

I overwrote all the Source/files.pl with a fresh lot of files - re-wrote some of the army_green.mod - installed the mod - removed BoardMod from my pc because I now neither need it to modify or uninstall any other extreme themes that I may want to add to the core files.

In other words - I will probably never have to edit the .pl files ever again to modify or change the mark up for army_green from tables to divs to create a "different" look or change the css etc Wink.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 2:23pm
Post Tools
I downloaded army_green from BoardMod - And as I said earlier "Something has to modify the .pl files" whether it be apache modwrite or anything else that MUST write to the core files to effectively install a complete theme as complex as that.

BoardMOD is NOT required to replace/install a template.

I can stop all of that and the fact that BoardMod will no longer be required to install and/or modify core .pl files for themes - and uninstall them with a flick of a switch rather than have to use BM or do it manually.

See above .......

@ Lopa  That is the ONLY thing I am saying ... MODifing is not necessary to add a theme in YaBB.

First should be aware that the html is to be stripped from the *.pl files (eventually), that is one of the goals of a future version (possibly the next, maybe another).
  Second ... as I have stated MODifing *.pl files has never bee a requirement to install/change a template.  As you have already noticed, generally the only html in *.pl files are line breaks, bold attributes, etc. that usually doesn't effect a new template look.

The MOD you referred to above (Army-Green) is actually not a Army-Green MOD.  It (I believe the one your referring to) is the MOD to add the rounded frame, not the actual Army-Green template.
  We have been developing templates here and over at BoardMOD for "years" and 99% of the time have never had to use modwrite nor the BoardMOD program.

Your development sounds like something that could/should be incorporated into YaBB.  But just trying to get you to understand, in the past and as of now we do not modify nor require modification to simply change templates.

http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1219804989
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1241892021 "Fear not ..."

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 9:07pm
Post Tools
Thanks CJ,

I understand where you are coming from when you talk about default-type styles and hardly any effort to install them etc.

Like here: http://www.boardmod.org/templates/templatevault.php

But that's not what I'm playing with - because it's too easy!

Army Green
http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1242285669

Quote:
Quote:
Some areas of YaBB is hard coded in the  source files  (.pl files) so to get the full effect of this template.. I have made an optional mod file that will add the wrap to the register,  recent posts, member list, post page, and search result pages, so while this template can be installed without using the mod... it just wont have that *complete* look

While I agree with that it can be installed without affecting some of the .pl files, the MOD does however expand the look of the army theme.

Quote:
Quote:
Also worth mentioning.. is that installing the optional mod will NOT mess up regular templates  feel free to test it out on my test forum

Maybe it doesn't mess up anything because it's .css driven, but it does create problems because it assumes that no one else wants to use the same locations with different mark up for a different style? and because it writes to Core files which creates problems with alternative themes, file upgrades and code changes.

Which is something that I'm working on to bypass using my experience with other forum software. And while I may be no expert with perl code, I can read into most of the stuff that handles the templates - Well I'm getting better at it anyway?

So! I'd just like to carry this on as a hobby rather than a project, and when it all comes together for me - myself - I'll run it past all concerned.

And as for taking the html out of the perl files - I would be more inclined to go through all of the files and clean up 99% of "Warnings" generated before I would go any further. And I'd also make it a hobby - rather than a project.  Wink

IP Logged

lprime
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 4:10pm
Post Tools
quick question I just installed the 2.5 edition but I like the old "blue" 2.4 default theme better were can I find it...I've looked in the template boards and so on but no luck...I'm gonna be honest I really didn't look to hard anywhere else tho, thought I simply ask  Tongue

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 6:21pm
Post Tools
The Blue is included in the Y.5 AE Upgrade package, the AE template was only included in the full install package.

IP Logged

steelhead
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 7:48am
Post Tools
WOW! I surmise multiple templates are...............DOAH

As  much as I like PERL

YABB has to give the small entrepreneur the tools it takes to make some money with this software so we can kick something back in.

OFF TOPIC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top