Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Error when trying to save forum settings (Read 4,531 times)
Jeff Parke
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Re: Error when trying to save forum settings
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 6:00pm
Post Tools
Thanks for that insight to where the variable is stored..

The above posting also says: "...then then[the] Setup is run..."

The Setup.pl is also NOT refereneced in the 2.3.2 upgrade documentation.  In the full install package, the Quick Start Guide says: Now that you have everything edited, uploaded and the proper CHMOD set, it's time to begin the final step in the process. To do this, you will need to point your browser to the Setup.pl. This is located in the same directory you installed YaBB in (http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl. Revise the URL as needed.).

The 2.5 upgrade package instructions in the README_UPDATE.txt file spells out a process that bypasses the notions of running Setup.pl.

So, I am very confused by the documentation.  I'm thwarted by the process of gleaning the fine points in this fashion.

FWIW, I just downloaded the 2.4 upgrade package, followed it's instructions (which are essentially the same as the 2.3.1=>2.5 upgrade process), and when I hit save from the forum settings window that I had dutifully left open, everything worked fine!!!  So my notifications are fixed.

But now I am leery of the process of upgrading to 2.5, having had it fail in a way so reproducibly similar to the gal who started this topic, and finding that the upgrade instructions leave so much to be desired.

Is it possible to redo the upgrade instructions for 2.3.1 to 2.5?  Because, they seem to be the same ones I might use if I try to go from 2.4 to 2.5, to wit:

If you are upgrading from YaBB 2.3 or higher you can use the upgrade package we provide to download and follow the instructions in the README_UPDATE.txt in that package. You will not need the files in this package here and you can stop reading here now.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:31pm
Post Tools
Jeff Parke wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:25am:
doing that file rename business (those files are from my 2.3.1 installation, yes - I don't see them in the full 2.5 nor the 2.5 upgrade distribution).

Yes the files are from the old installation, renamed and moved to the new installation and then then Setup is run.

You can manually edit Settings.pl
Code (Perl)
Select All
$NewNotificationAlert = 0;                        # enable notification alerts (popup) for new notifications
$autolinkurls = 1;                                # Set to 1 to turn URLs into links, or 0 for no auto-linking.

$forumnumberformat = 5;                           # Select your preferred output Format for Numbers
$timeselected = 2;                                # Select your preferred output Format of Time and Date
$timecorrection = 0;                              # Set time correction for server time in seconds
$timeoffset = "01\.0";                            # Time Offset to GMT/UTC (0 for GMT/UTC)
$dstoffset = 1;                                   # Time Offset (for daylight savings time, 0 to disable DST)
$dynamic_clock = 1;                               # Set to a value enables the dynamic clock at the top of the page
$TopAmmount = 15;                                 # No. of top posters to display on the top members list
$maxdisplay = 20;                                 # Maximum of topics to display
$maxfavs = 20;                                    # Maximum of favorite topics to save in a profile
$maxrecentdisplay = 25;                           # Maximum of topics to display on recent posts by a user (-1 to
                                                  #  disable) 

IP Logged

Jeff Parke
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:25am
Post Tools
I am getting the exact same error when I try to upgrade, following all the instructions in the upgrade distribution, as well as reading this and doing that file rename business (those files are from my 2.3.1 installation, yes - I don't see them in the full 2.5 nor the 2.5 upgrade distribution).

Anyway, I couldn't get it to go for hell or highwater.  I was able to fall back to 2.3.1, but my notifications aren't working properly on that and would love to hear more information about how to fix the annoying forumnumberformat error!!

BTW, I did try going through all of the tabs in the "forum settings" area, and every time got the same error as AmishCake.

-Jeff P.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:38am by Jeff Parke »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 10:43pm
Post Tools
I have to agree with AmishCake

Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

AmishCake

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 10:36pm
Post Tools
The full install? I didn't download that one since I was just doing an upgrade. If that is the case, the guide for the upgrade should really include this information.

E.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 4:04am
Post Tools
AmishCake wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 1:48am:
Where did you find this?

From the Y2.5 Installation zip file, under Quick-Guide  .... Honest !

IP Logged

AmishCake

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 1:48am
Post Tools
Where did you find this? It was not in the zip package for the upgrade. ???

E.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:47pm
Post Tools
Sorry to hear that ......  (all within less than an hour)

"Sounds" like you might have missed this part of the Quick-Guide for upgrading:
Quote:
Now copy the following files to a separate folder and rename them as it is shown here:
advsettings.txt => upgrade_advsettings.txt
secsettings.txt => upgrade_secsettings.txt
Settings.pl => upgrade_Settings.pl
then move the renamed files into cgi-bin/yabb2/Variables/ of your new forum.

If you have any special template files, you may wish to upload those files also, but they will need some modification before they will work properly with YaBB 2.5 AE.
Note:
If you plan on keeping your old YaBB 2.x Templates and CSS settings, do not copy over the new template files with older templates of the same file name or you will not get what you expect. These files have changed, so you will either have to modify the new template/css files that come with YaBB 2.5 AE, or follow the procedures in the link below to update your existing template files before overwriting the YaBB 2.5 AE template/css files.
We recommend you create a new folder in your new forum: cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/new_folder_name/ and put your old template files (html) in it. Now rename the .html file to new_folder_name.html. Rename also your old CSS file to new_folder_name.css and put it in the public_html/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/ directory. Repeat this for each of your existing custom templates in your old forum. Template and CSS Comparisons from earlier versions to YaBB 2.5 AE

Now verify CHMODs for all your imported files.
Log in your new forum as Administrator with the Admin username and password you used in your old forum and go directy to the "Admin Center" => "Forum Settings".
Note: doing ANY upgrade, it is very important to change the install date in the Admin Center > Forum Settings to a date and time "before" the older forums oldest member registration. If not done, Search will not function and the possibility of causing ex-members being generated. Save this page once with the Button at the bottom.
Then go to "Admin Center" => "Maintenance Controls" and run the "Rebuild Notifications Files" first!
Now run the other Maintenance Controls starting with "Rebuild Message Index" going through "Rebuild Members History."
Go to ALL tabs in the "Forum Settings" and "Advanced Settings" sections and verify all your settings. There are many new settings in version 2.5 AE, so take your time here. Click the Save button at the bottom of each page even if you do not change any settings on the page.
Go to "Maintenance Settings" and turn "Maintenance Mode?" off. Return to your forum. Refresh the page or clear the browser chache and start enjoying your brand new YaBB 2.5 AE Forum!
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:04pm by »  

IP Logged

AmishCake

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 1:21am
Post Tools
So now I have foolishly gone and looked at the forum and cannot access the Admin area. Going back to 2.3.1.

Sad

E.
IP Logged

AmishCake

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 1:06am
Post Tools
OK, here is a screen shot - I am unable to select any of the templates as the default. You see in the drop down that is opened, there are no options to select. The templates are there and the permissions are set correctly.

forum.jpg ( 54 KB | 131 Downloads )
forum.jpg

E.
IP Logged

AmishCake

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 12:54am
Post Tools
Well thanks for that, but everything was already set as in my old forum settings. I went ahead and re-ran all the maintenance functions while I was waiting for an answer here, and the forum settings page is now the new one. Apparently there is a "number format" setting which did not appear on the old one, and the upgrade instructions did not mention this.

Now that that is settled, I am unable to select a template. Back to the drawing board... Undecided

E.
IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 12:51am
Post Tools
In the past, there were time formats that were preprogrammed that you could select, and also one that you could manually create your own. Trying to create your own seemed to cause trouble if it wasn't done just right (at least I know it caused me trouble once). In the current version of YaBB this chance to create your own format no longer seems to exist.

If in your past forum you ever set a custom time format, you may need to make sure you now have one of the regular ones selected. This is selected in the Admin section, Forum Settings, the general tab. It is something like the 7th item down on the list.

In addition, sometimes all the settings in the setting menu need to be set to something 'correct,' so you may want to go through all the settings quickly, on all five of the tabs, to make sure something isn't screwed up in there somewhere, and interfering with things. This may have been adjusted so it is no longer a problem, but I know it sometimes has been in the past.

These are a couple of points that you can check on, that might solve your problem ... if not, you may need to wait for one of the others who has more in-depth experience with this type of problem. But at least it is a couple of things to check on.

IP Logged

AmishCake

Error when trying to save forum settings
Oct 11th, 2010 at 12:32am
Post Tools
I followed the upgrade instructions for 2.3.1 to 2.5AE and I am getting the following error when trying to save the forum settings page as per the upgrade instructions:

You have entered an invalid value for this item: forumnumberformat (Select default number format:)

I can't figure out which setting this is - any help, please?

Thanks.

E.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top