Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Forum stopped working (Read 2,533 times)
H
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Forum stopped working
Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 1:40pm
Post Tools
Thanks for this Jon. I do have FTP access when the forum doesn't work. Other people have been having problems accessing the forum as well and they've been keeping logs of it.

I approached the hosting company they told me that we are on an older server and we should upgrade to their "new" reseller package but this would cause a lot more upheaval than the forum is probably worth to us. What is really frustrating is that they say there isn't a problem with the server but I should upgrade - if there isn't a problem then why doesn't it work and why should we upgrade?.

I guess I'm now looking for an alternative inexpensive hosting company to just host the forum. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 4:27pm
Post Tools
The adage  'you get what you pay for' is just as true for webhosting as anything else.

Be that as it may - intermittent server availablity problems are almost always a server or connection problem.  Corrupt datafiles - will cause things not to work - but the problems will be consistent.  (functionality will be missing - OR the application just won't load)

So a good question would be - is it the case that when its not working, its not working for everyone... not just you - that you will need a helper on - unless you know that is the case.

Do you have a few static HTML pages?

If you can access them when you CAN'T access the forum - it pints to a server configuration problem of some sort with Perl. (it may have nothing to do with the language version).

If you can't access EITHER static pages or your Forum - be sure to get the extended error message, and do a traceroute to your server - either you or your host or your namesever provider might have routing issues.

When the Forum is not available, it might be useful to see if you still have FTP access.

Good Luck.
Smiley

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2010 at 4:41pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 4:46pm
Post Tools
mmmm the advanced test script returned a whole lot of info for me.

Here is some relevant to you:

/home/smforum/cgi-bin/yabb2
     /home/smforum/public_html
Perl Version: 5.006001
perl:
/usr/bin/perl
/usr/sbin/sendmail

A problem might be the Perl version needs to be upgraded on your Host's server.  For newer versions of YaBB we recommend at least 5.10, the current version of Perl is Perl 5 version 12.2

Send you Host a trouble ticket and request Perl be upgraded.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2010 at 5:21pm by »  

IP Logged

H
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 2:55pm
Post Tools
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've run the advanced test but it doesn't seem to return any results

http://www.stampingmadforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/advanced-test.cgi

Best wishes

Helen

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
H wrote on Nov 8th, 2010 at 2:16pm:
Is this even possible for a Yabb forum to work intermittently even though the configuration hasn't changed?

No ... If the server is setup correctly (CHMODs/Perl/User-Owner Permissions)

Clicking on your forums url, the responce is VERY slow and not ending (displaying) any error to the browser.
 Suggest clearing the highlighted comment code below (from YaBB.pl)
Code (Perl)
Select All
###############################################################################

### Version Info ###
$YaBBversion = 'YaBB 2.5 AE';
$YaBBplver = 'YaBB 2.5 AE $Revision: 1.22.2.4 $';

if ($action eq 'detailedversion') { return 1; }

# use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser); # used only for tests

BEGIN {
  # Make sure the module path is present
  push(@INC, "./Modules"); 

Then trying to run YaBB.pl from your forum url.  This should display any error to your browser when run.

"IF" the above doesn't give any errors reported to the browser, you might run the attached file to gather more info from your Host server to help with troubleshooting.  Upload this file (remove the extension of the file from .txt to cgi) to your yabb2 folder (same folder where YaBB.pl and AdminIndex.pl are).  CHMOD file as 755, run the file as you would YaBB.pl in your forums URL (http://www.yourdomain/cgi-bin/yabb2/advanced-test.cgi)
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:26pm by »  

advanced-test_cgi.txt ( 20 KB | 248 Downloads )

IP Logged

H
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 2:16pm
Post Tools
Still having problems with the forum working intermittently. We have been hosted by Webfusion for years without any issues up until now. This is what they have said -

"Following a thorough investigation of the server I can confirm that we have not been able to find any issues to cause the website to not work. Thus, we would recommend that you check the content of your website and test the configuration of your forums to ensure that it is not be set to stop. "

Is this even possible for a Yabb forum to work intermittently even though the configuration hasn't changed?

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 10:01pm
Post Tools

Who is the hosting company?

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 4:11am
Post Tools
Nope ... If it is the access to Perl, a newer version won't load either.

IP Logged

H
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:21pm
Post Tools
Yes, I replaced it when I uploaded the 2.5ae upgrade files so I'm assuming it must be a web host problem because nothing else has changed. Do you think there is any benefit to attempting to re-install rather than upgrade to 2.5ae before contacting them?

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:08pm
Post Tools
Good luck (did you try replacing YaBB.pl with a backup copy to eliminating possible corruption ?)

IP Logged

H
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:58pm
Post Tools
Thank you for your reply. I have re-checked permissions and they all seem to be as per quick guide instructions. I will contact the web host re the perl although it is supposed to be Perl 5.6.1 I just don't understand why it has suddenly stopped working then has worked again intermittently - I will contact them to see.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:46pm
Post Tools
It maybe 1 of 2 problems ... seems like YaBB.pl can not find the Perl module or YaBB.pl has been corrupted or has changed CHMOD. ( *.pl files must be 755 or higher ).

IP Logged

H
YaBB Newcomer

Forum stopped working
Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:36pm
Post Tools
Last Tuesday I got an email saying that the forum was unavailable - http://www.stampingmadforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl . I went to check - it wasn't working but a few hours later it was working ok, but since Thursday it has been unavailable again. I've checked with our hosting company and the server is still online (I can access the control panel, etc) but the Yabb is not functioning.

I was using version 2.4 so I thought I would upgrade to 2.5ae to see if that fixed the problem (following the instructions in the readme file) but the forum is still unavailable.

Please does anyone have any suggestions what could be the problem.

Thanks, Helen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top