Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic How can I make the message board private (Read 1,146 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: How can I make the message board private
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:51am
Post Tools
Create the categores that you want to make Private.   Use the Group selector to enable all groups to view them (ctrl + click)   Guests don't belong to ANY group  - thius no see the private category.

Then create at least one Board to place in each of them.  You can select the category when you are creating the boards.  Categories can pretty much have as many boards as you want.  Turn off 'show to all' this way Guests won't be able to see that the boards are there even if they are in a category with an open board,.

This should be a good start

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

FloorTekTalk
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:03am
Post Tools
1. I need one open to the public view Category. Public can Register/be approved automatically/and post.

2. Three Categories not open to public/private/admin approved only members.

You guys are very helpful and I appreciate all you are explaining/training me to do.
Thank you so very much...  Cheesy

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 2:20am
Post Tools
The 'first step' to making a forum private is to change the minimum permission levels in the Boards (first) and then the Caegories you wish to be private.  Catyegories are really only Containers, the permissions are set on the Boards.  

This is a bit tricky - So I will give it my best go -

IF Guest Access is on (disabled not checked) AND nothing has been selected in the Permissions settings, then the Guests can view the Board.
IF that is true and Guest Posting is enabled - they (Guests) can also leave posts without registering.
IF Guest Posting is disabled, they will be able to see any baords where a minimum level is set, but not leave posts without registering.

As soon as you select a miniumum level in Allowed to View Posts (such as YaBB newbies) - then that board becomes off-limits for guests, all the other permissions are additive...

Take a look here in the Codex.  Then look in your Admin Center, at the Boards 1st.

http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1198368987

Good Luck

Cool

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2010 at 2:31am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 1:47am
Post Tools
Depends on how private you want private to be.

You can set it up so that one board is available to guests to read and post, and other boards are only available for members ... but that can get a little spammy, and you'd have to limit registration to admin approval.

You could also set it up so that one board can be read by anybody (including guests), posted in by anyone who has registered, and the other boards require you to be part of a specific non-postcount-based group, which you manually assign members to. You can make it so that nobody not in that group even sees the other boards even exist, much less read or post there.

So which method was more what you were thinking? (Or something different all together?)

IP Logged

FloorTekTalk
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 1:00am
Post Tools
Oh, and my real name is Ray Darrah.
Setting this Flooring Message Board up at floorTekTalk.com

Smiley

IP Logged

FloorTekTalk
YaBB Newcomer

None
How can I make the message board private
Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:58am
Post Tools
we just uploaded the message board on our server and trying to set it up.
What I need is One Category open for public view.

Then 3 categories CLosed to public view. Trying to keep our board private on these three categories.

Any help is appreciated. I'm a software programing idiot and need all the help I can get...  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top