Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Question about BoardMod (Read 2,262 times)
batchman
Support Team

Re: Question about BoardMod
Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 7:52pm
Post Tools
Never had a single page try to not load on me. Was all nice and smooth.

IP Logged

TheNelson
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 7:12pm
Post Tools
Say, Batchman. When you were working through my site did you ever have any issues with the page not wanting to load - going into a server timeout problem or anything similar?

I'm trying to determine if the problem I have accessing the site is my ISP or the site server.

Thanks again for your assistance!

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
Did you remember to use the build birthday list button at the bottom of the calendar settings to build the birthday list?

Did you remember to upload both all the files that came with the mods, and all the files of the main files which the mod file changed?

Did you remember to activate the features in the admin center, and fill in the required settings, so that YaBB can display them?

And did you remember to CHMOD the new files, after uploading (and upload all perl files as ASCII?)

These are all easy details to miss, the first few times you use a mod, but you quickly get used to them, and they become second nature.

IP Logged

TheNelson
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 5:19pm
Post Tools
haha, congratulations...  Smiley

I have installed the topic description mod and the calendar mod. They both seem to have installed properly but they do not actually do anything in my forum...  Undecided

The topic description is shown when posting a topic but it does not allow you to input anything.

The calendar displays on the page, but no birthdays are listed.

I gotta get this figured out! Smiley

Thank you guys for your help. This is a lot of fun.

http://www.clubredline.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 4:01pm
Post Tools
I have good news for you ... today I downloaded the advertising mod for 2.4, (probably linked in Derek's post above) and installed it on my 2.5 forum.

It installed in BoardMod without a single conflict.

I don't use advertising on my site, so I can't test it in depth, but usually if it installs without a problem, it works just fine!

So the two mods you showed an interest in, one is already in the main program now, and the other, the 2.4 version will work. Congratulations!

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 3:17am
Post Tools
TheNelson wrote on Oct 24th, 2010 at 2:24am:
The other thing is that I do not see any boardmods for YABB 2.5, it seems as they only go up to 2.2:

http://www.boardmod.org/mods.php?cat=0&searchfor=&sortby=yabbversion&start=560&v...

Yeah, this can be a bit confusing to new users. Unfortunately, BoardMod doesn't seem to be updated in that way anymore. What you need to do is check the forum:

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl

You'll find relevant sections there for your version of YaBB, so all you need to do is download the mod file that you want from the forum - You're guaranteed to get the latest version that way, and you'll also be able to get support from the Mod author.

TheNelson wrote on Oct 24th, 2010 at 2:22am:
I tried one for inserting advertisements, one for extended profile options.

Extended Profiles is now part of the default YaBB package, so there's no need to install a Mod for it. See this in Admin Center => Forum Settings => Members:

Quote:
Use Extended Profiles?
If enabled, an additional item called "Profile Fields" will be shown in the sidebar to the left. There, you can add functions to the users' profiles.
Leave this unchecked if you don't use this feature to save server load!

The advertisement Mod hasn't been updated for 2.5 yet, but there is a 2.4 version here:

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1240070942

I haven't tried it to know if it runs with 2.5 though.

It's getting late now, I hope that made sense...
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2010 at 3:30am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

TheNelson
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 2:24am
Post Tools
The other thing is that I do not see any boardmods for YABB 2.5, it seems as they only go up to 2.2:

http://www.boardmod.org/mods.php?cat=0&searchfor=&sortby=yabbversion&start=560&v...

IP Logged

TheNelson
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 2:22am
Post Tools
I tried one for inserting advertisements, one for extended profile options.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 2:08am
Post Tools
Out of interest, which 2.2 Mod were you trying to install? Quite a few 2.2 Mods were built into YaBB and most other's have been updated to newer versions... Just curious...
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2010 at 2:16am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 1:39am
Post Tools
I know some of the BoardMod folders seemed to come with some mods already included in them ... which could be where the issue came from.

As Derek mentioned in his last post, you will need to download the mods that have been written or updated for 2.5, and install those.

A rare few of the 2.4 mods may install with no issues what-so-ever, but the further back you go, the more issues there are going to be.

With some practice and experience with BoardMod, mods, and YaBB, it becomes easier and easier to tweak some of those earlier mods to work with the latest version ... I use many older mods on my forum, because I've learned how to tweak them ... but when I wanted to use Carsten's Member List/ Member Map mod, I still had to ask him for an update, because it is just more advanced than what I could tweak through on my own.

Any mods you discover that are for earlier versions that you want to use on the current version, you can give it a try, but if it doesn't work, ask around, and maybe the author will update it for you ... on the other hand, a few mods are gone for good.

Still, though it can take a little bit of work, it is well worth it for some of the great customizations you can get.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 1:21am
Post Tools
Oh yeah, sorry... YaBB 2.2 Mods will not work with YaBB 2.5 - Only YaBB 2.5 Mods will work with YaBB 2.5.

Unless you know what you're doing with the code, then you need to stick to the Mods for your version of YaBB.

I guess maybe I misunderstood your original post...

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2010 at 1:35am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

TheNelson
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 1:11am
Post Tools
I got it figured out I believe but I still can't get any of the mods for Yabb 2.2 to work on 2.5. Even when doing a manual install the strings to be modified are not found... odd

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 12:52am
Post Tools
No worries... I hope you get on okay...

IP Logged

TheNelson
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 12:49am
Post Tools
Thank you

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 12:45am
Post Tools
Hi again,

Not at all no, you only need to modify and upload the files that BoardMod edits.

These links are a little old, but hopefully they'll explain it better than I can:

http://www.boardmod.org/docs/boardmodforthebloodynovice.html

http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/?num=1190677475

Have a read through and you should get the idea. Like anything else, it can seem a little daunting for a start, but once you get the gist, you'll realize how simple it is.

I hope those links help you a little more, but if you're still confused about anything, feel free to ask...

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2010 at 12:46am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top