Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic 500 server error (Read 2,705 times)
Elfen

Re: 500 server error
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:43pm
Post Tools
Only time I got a 500 Server error is with either syntax errors when modding the board or missing modules for a specific Perl Function. While YaBB has its own modules in case Perl does not have them, I ran into many assorted programs who do not and run into this problem.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:01pm
Post Tools
Update for anyone getting a 500 error while trying to install YaBB:

JonB wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 6:15pm:
OK

My 'guess' is that we are again dealing with Windows NTFS permissions.

Good luck
Cool

The above is related to a Windows install, but it got me thinking about my own 500 error on a UNIX machine.

By the way, reading through the discussion linked above has been helpful in terms of reminding me that setting correct permissions is an absolutely necessary part of installing YaBB successfully.

But then, that's a given.  Roll Eyes

As pretty much everyone's been telling me all along, I'm evidently not being careful enough about setting correct permissions. I'll have to pay more attention to this. Well that, and making sure that I upload each and every file properly (ASCII versus Binary).

The next time I try doing a fresh install, I'm going to get out of my own way.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 8:49am
Post Tools
Right. That's my memory of it, too. But first I need to get beyond the 500 error. I actually haven't worked on this since I last reported it; not particularly important right now. I just wanted to see if I could do a fresh install. I obviously did something wrong.

About 2 or 3 years ago when I upgraded from YaBB Gold 1.4 to YaBB 2.4 that we use now, yes finally, I did a fresh install with no problem; at least not any big problems.

I think the folder was just plain old yabb for the older version, and yabb2 for the newer one. But since I wanted all of the older links to work because I've been linking them from our site starting in 2002, I wanted to keep the same yabb folder name.

I know this isn't what one is supposed to do, but when I confirmed that everything was working in the yabb2 folder, including all member files, messages, etc., I put both the old forum and the new one into maintenance mode, and then very quickly renamed the yabb folder to yabb-old if I remember correctly, and the yabb2 folder to the original yabb name.

When that unorthodox method worked, I took the new forum out of maintenance mode, and everything was working great again. Because I had prepared everything beforehand, and made sure the new forum worked properly with all of the updated information, I don't think I was in maintenance mode for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

In any case, before I upgrade our forum from 2.4 to 2.5 ... if I upgrade it, and there doesn't seem to be a real need ... I want to make sure that it's working properly.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 8:26am
Post Tools
I could be wrong here but I think that when setup.pl is ran it creates certain files. Once these files have been created, if it sees them, it will not run again.

Not sure why it won't run for you on a fresh install.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2012 at 8:29am by WestwegoMan »  
<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 6:59am
Post Tools
The quotation below is from a member here who sent me a PM. I'll keep him anonymous, but you know who you are.
Smiley

In case it can be of some help, the following error message is what I received (guessing it's a bug in this beta version of YaBB):

Code
Select All
System Information

The following user(s) could not be messaged.
The username(s) is/are either invalid, or they have you on their ignore list:

Quote:
i just seen your post here http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1288262436#3
on getting a y2.5 500 server error did you get this sorted?

I haven't gotten this sorted out yet, but when I work on it again I'm sure I will at some point. It's just a test forum anyway to see if I can install the latest version of YaBB, so there's no rush.  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 10:24am
Post Tools
No help needed here. I'll figure it out. Just venting with an amused smile on my face.  Shocked

Go figure. Here I am, a reportedly experienced YaBB user since 2002 with a forum that continues to operate just fine (YaBB 2.4), and I can't even get a fresh install of YaBB 2.5 to work.

I'm getting a 500 server error with the Setup.pl file even though I followed the instructions quite carefully.

Well, obviously not carefully enough.  Shocked

Interestingly, just to see what might happen, I uploaded the Setup.pl file into the working folder of the forum that's operating just fine, and even with permissions that are correctly set at 755 with an ASCII upload, it still produced a 500 server error. That doesn't make sense unless that particular Setup.pl file is corrupted. Thinking aloud, maybe that's what's wrong.

No biggie. I deleted everything, and I'll try again in the near future. It's on a different domain, but it's on the same dedicated server that already has a working forum on it.

Again, there's no help to be given here. I obviously did one or more things wrong, and I'll surely figure it out soon enough.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 5:21pm
Post Tools
Ownership of files is a function of both the server's setup, and the access and installation methods used; and therfore is impossible to anticipate.  On most hosted servers (the greatest majority of YaBB *nix installs), the FTP client account is the owner of all the files in their vhost, so file ownership is not an issue.  (thats prolly why you didn't find an answer - I don't think I recall ever answering this one)

Are you on your own *nix server or a VPS?  If that is the case - my advice - I generally create groups for applications on *nix, then you are not tied to one user.  my opinion only.

Anyway - I'm glad you got it solved -  

Good Luck and have fun with YaBB.  

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

gt
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 2:36pm
Post Tools
gt wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:40am:
Searched this forum for 500 server error and got not one result which surprised me.

Fresh install on a Unix server, cgi-bin already working with another .pl script.

Path is correct on all scripts: #!/usr/bin/perl same as working script.

Tried the alternative chmod settings including the index.html and .htaccess chmod to 644.

Log file shows the normal 'premature end of script headers' so nothing to go on.

It's a sub-domain pointing to a server if that makes a difference.
http://epctc.tne.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl

Sorted it, I had to change ownership from root to the directory owner. A pity this wasn't mentioned anywhere...

IP Logged

gt
YaBB Newcomer

500 server error
Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:40am
Post Tools
Searched this forum for 500 server error and got not one result which surprised me.

Fresh install on a Unix server, cgi-bin already working with another .pl script.

Path is correct on all scripts: #!/usr/bin/perl same as working script.

Tried the alternative chmod settings including the index.html and .htaccess chmod to 644.

Log file shows the normal 'premature end of script headers' so nothing to go on.

It's a sub-domain pointing to a server if that makes a difference.
http://epctc.tne.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top