Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
 10 Multiple Templates (Read 4,094 times)
Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Multiple Templates
Reply #16 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 3:57am
Post Tools
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

steelhead
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #15 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 6:26am
Post Tools
Sounds easy enough
Quote:
ONE edit:  ONE word to ONE file to select the board

I was merely dreaming of a cool feature this program could have Cheesy

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #14 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:42pm
Post Tools
steelhead wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:24pm:
looking for a future built in easy way for the admin to assign the preferred template for the sponsored board.

What I'm doing at the moment takes ONE edit:  ONE word to ONE file to select the board - Whether it's an installed theme or not.

How easy is that?  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:43pm by Lopa »  

I make mistakes - That's how I learn.
IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #13 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:39pm
Post Tools
batchman wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 9:19pm:
If I understand him correctly, he's not saying a drop down for the user, but a drop down setting within the admin settings for the board (edit board in the admin center) where the admin could say that board x uses template x, board y uses template y, and so on.

Then it would be time for the chequebook to come out because that would be big job to put it all together, and is not something that I'm sure I could do!  Wink

It also doesn't make sense to me to want a Sponsor-Specific board that would be available for all users to select in their CP?  Huh

My line of thought at the moment is a Specific theme that can be changed and/or manipulated with variables to add anything that the Sponsor may want to add - without affecting any of the other themes. It can / could be made to use it's own buttons too as I have done at the test site with the buttons from "Opal" just for an example.

That's the way I'm thinking and that's what I'm going to stick to running with at the moment.

As for simply forcing an installed theme for a particular board - Someone else can play with that. Tongue

IP Logged

steelhead
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:24pm
Post Tools
Quote:
looking for a future built in easy way for the admin to assign the preferred template for the sponsored board.

Exactly

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 9:19pm
Post Tools
If I understand him correctly, he's not saying a drop down for the user, but a drop down setting within the admin settings for the board (edit board in the admin center) where the admin could say that board x uses template x, board y uses template y, and so on.

He's looking for a future built in easy way for the admin to assign the preferred template for the sponsored board.

I think.

I'll just shut up now.  Grin

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 8:55pm
Post Tools
steelhead wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 4:23pm:
The best case outcome would be to have a dropdown list on the board admin allowing you to select the template to be used on that board

I think I've lost your plot as an installed template is available to anyone and could hardly be made Board-Specific, as Captain John indicated?  Huh

To be "Sponsor-Specific" the theme doesn't need to be installed, and in my opinion shouldn't be available to all members to select as their overall theme?

Kind'a defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

If you want to force a theme that you do have installed, then I assume that that could be done with a one line (string) somewhere in the template code to do exactly that.

I don't know if you noticed - But at the test site - One cannot select the red theme I'm using to test this with.  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2010 at 8:56pm by Lopa »  

IP Logged

steelhead
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 4:23pm
Post Tools
Thanks for your help and interest I'm looking forward to see how this develops.

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm not a programmer.

The best case outcome would be to have a dropdown list on the board admin allowing you to select the template to be used on that board

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 8:25pm
Post Tools
@ steelhead

I want to look at some other possibilities of "calling" an uninstalled theme (or alternative templates) rather than an installed theme which everyone could access anyway.

If I can't, then it will need some help from someone who knows exactly what they are doing - rather than learning. Wink

Either way I'll share it when I've finished thrashing it to the best that I can do.  Cool

Update:

I've had another play with it using the "Forum default" theme which is still as it comes, and it's looking pretty good. Tongue

New demo - Link in my sig! Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2010 at 2:09am by Lopa »  

IP Logged

steelhead
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
WOW!

Looks like it would work for what we are trying to do. Would you like to share with us how you did it?

IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 2:16pm
Post Tools
I've been having a play with this and using a config file to manage it Wink

It really has got some possibilities in that one could add extra stuff into the "Selected Board" that wouldn't appear anywhere else.

Bit of a demo:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cranky65/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

This Board:

Just a Test Category

And give me a break - I'm messing with two very conflicting themes, but I'm sure it could all be smoothed out. Cheesy

Edit:

Also, it's only available in the Forum default theme.  Tongue
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2010 at 2:07am by Lopa »  

IP Logged

steelhead
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 4:29pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the help.
Will this feature be available in YABB 3.x.x? If it is I will probably wait until January.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 12:32pm
Post Tools
The back of my brain says there might be a (or was) mod to  do that -

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?catselect=mods_y2

my brain is also old - LOL

Cheesy

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Lopa

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 10:40am
Post Tools
steelhead wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 6:10pm:
Is there any way to do this?

It wouldn't be easy but I doubt it's impossible.

If it was php I could probably be more specific, but not knowing perl it would need an argument "Something" like this to determine what board and what page the person is looking at.

Code
Select All
if ($ENV{"PATH_INFO"} == 'http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=test' || 'http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?virboard=test' && -e MY-OWN.CFG or .CSS FILE) {require 'MY-OWN.CFG or .CSS FILE';} 

Not sure what the code is exactly or where it would be added to the .pl files, but like php - perl no doubt would have a "location-string" and also I have no doubt that someone would want to be paid to work it out for you, because it is a little complicated. Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2010 at 10:53am by Lopa »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 8:40pm
Post Tools
Not for individual boards.  Template selection for the default forum is selected within the Admin Center, per individual members within their profiles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top