Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Member PM Multiple Recipients is Denied (Spam) (Read 1,209 times)
j razz
YaBB Newcomer

Member PM Multiple Recipients is Denied (Spam)
Nov 14th, 2010 at 5:06am
Post Tools
I am using 2.4.
It is a private forum (members only)

Here is my issue: I have a regular member who wanted to notify everyone on the board about an event that was to be held in honor of another person who was also on the board.  She did not want that person in on the surprise so she went to send out personal messages.  All of this is good up to this point.  Anytime she tried to select multiple recipients (namely 120 of them at first and then 50 and then 5 and then 3) and send the personal message it said that she couldn't due to message concerning spamming. 

I want her (or anyone who is a member) to be able to send out messages like this.  What do I need to change in Admin Center to remove the spam restrictions from personal messages?

Thanks for your time.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Member PM Multiple Recipients is Denied (Spam)
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 3:29pm
Post Tools
In Admin Center > Forum Settings - Private Messages tab

IP Logged

j razz
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 4:38pm
Post Tools
Pardon my ignorance on this, but I just don't know which setting to change.

She doesn't want to send a broadcast message I don't think (as that would go to everyone without discriminating against the one person she wants to leave out) right?

If you don't mind, please be a little more specific.  Thanks for the help.  I thought it would either be in that section or under the AntiSpam setting, but nothing is jumping out to me to change. 

Thanks again.

Screenshot.png ( 201 KB | 65 Downloads )
Screenshot.png

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 3:55pm
Post Tools
This is from Admin Help

Spam Protect - Enter Percent  
This feature is designed to limit spam by setting a limit on how many other Members a User may send a Personal Message to at one time. The number you enter represents the maximum percent of total Members a User may send PMs to at one time.
This option is enabled by entering a desired percent in the appropriate box found in the "Private Messages" tab found in the Admin Center/Forum Configuration/Forum Settings section.

The Zero to disable I think is misleading - I 'think' that means Zero tolerance (one at a time)

On my board it is set to 10 - we have about 150 members, so either 15 or 16 should set off the SPAM alert.

I will say we set it several minor revisions ago, (I think we started with 2.2 - and we had the problem then as it was a new forum) and I have not heard a complaint since.

So see if that fixes it...

Good Luck
Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:15pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:07pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 3:55pm:
On my baord it is set to 10 - we have about 150 members, so either 15 or 16 should set off the SPAM alert.

Correct .... a percentage of the total membership

IP Logged

j razz
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 2:45am
Post Tools
Thanks guys.  I went ahead and put 100 in the box and I will have someone to test it again.  Since our forum is private I don't think I will have any issues with spam via PM's.  Yeah, the disable setting is misleading- hopefully that was changed in 2.5 or will be changed in the next revision. 

Thanks again.  Very helpful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools