Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Root Dir question? (Read 1,552 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Root Dir question?
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 6:59pm
Post Tools
You did the right thing.  Its hard to say exactly what a 'root' consists of on a Shared Host, but - for you at least - its the 'root'.

The right things to test at the outset probably are posting, creating a new member, e-mail notifications, and attaching files to posts.

Then you can get into the Admin Center and poke around, LOL.  If you have run forums before, YaBB is quite flexible. But you should familiarize your self with Creating Categories and Boards, and the concept of Groups, Membership and Moderators if you plan to have a community site.

Take a look in the YaBB Codex: http://codex.yabbforum.com/

I'm glad its working, have fun.

Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Citron
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 3:45pm
Post Tools
It is a Linux server on GoDaddy.When I go into my file structure, I see an html folder which I believe is the root because there is nothing above that. Within the html is a cgi folder. You are saying to put yabb files inside the html folder and yabb2 in the html/cgi. I have already run Setup.pl and everything setup fine and I have redirected people to the YaBB.pl when they type in my domain. The pathing must be fine otherwise setup would not work, or are there other checks to ensure all is good when inside the site.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 2:02am
Post Tools
A. - Is it 'your server',  a VPS, or a Shared Host???

My experience is its best to put things where they 'belong' - most Linux machines have a cgi-bin folder - that's the place for yabb2 - and either a 'var/www', 'htdocs', 'public_html', or some other DocumentRoot - yabbfiles goes under that.  Otherwise you often run into application handler issues, normally when Perl is set up,  cgi-bin is the Directory its default enabled for.

B. - Ahh - yes a redirect of some sort is in order. The 'real file' does have to be yabb2/YaBB.pl

I hope this is helpful.
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Citron
YaBB Newcomer

None
Root Dir question?
Dec 13th, 2010 at 11:32pm
Post Tools
So, I just move the cgi-bin/yabb2... and public_html/yabbfiles...  in to the root (Linux Server) so they are hanging off the root dir? My next question is how do I get people to hit the YaBB.pl so, they hit the login page when going to my site? Do I have to do a url redirect that puts them right at the YaBB.pl without them having to type /domain/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top