Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Straaange problem... (Read 11,122 times)
jmattioni
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Straaange problem...
Reply #45 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 10:52pm
Post Tools
I'm also am suddenly getting the "encoding error" problem with my forum running Yabb 2.5.

This worked for a while until today I was notified by a user that it wasn't. I don't know what could have changed since I haven't touched it since installation a few weeks ago.

I tried the gzcomp change with no help. The error just changes from an "encoding error" to a "connection reset" error. I can't get in admin or user the site at all.

Joe Mattioni

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 11:57pm
Post Tools
Searching the web for Content Error, it "seems" to be related to Browser software and Host servers.  Every thing from blogs to forums and Joomla, Sony Music. Bravia, NetFlix sites are getting the error.  Not just Perl (YaBB) seems to be effecting PHP sites as well as some others.
 Advise is to contact your Hosts ...
  Compression not supported is an error due to the type of transfer compression "between" the browser your using and the site's server your visiting.
   YaBB software allows you to choose external Gzip, Zlib or No compression ...
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:04am by »  

IP Logged

Richard IV
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #47 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 7:38pm
Post Tools
Captain John,

I know this will sound silly, but I went over the CHMOD-settings on the server this afternoon, and couldn't logon as an admin, but then I looked at the local Settings.pl, changed gzcomp back to "1", uploaded it, and I could logon, and... The AC loaded properly, I will go to the test part of the forum now and will try posting, replying, moving and deleting, just to see if every thing is working both as admin and as plain member

IP Logged

Richard IV
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #48 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 8:02pm
Post Tools
jmattioni wrote on Dec 22nd, 2010 at 10:52pm:
I'm also am suddenly getting the "encoding error" problem with my forum running Yabb 2.5.

This worked for a while until today I was notified by a user that it wasn't. I don't know what could have changed since I haven't touched it since installation a few weeks ago.

I tried the gzcomp change with no help. The error just changes from an "encoding error" to a "connection reset" error. I can't get in admin or user the site at all.

Joe Mattioni

Hi Joe, thank you for trying, I was just in a test run  - which seemed to work well when the original problem returned, and persisted: "The Connection is reset, please try again" I have seen that a few times after changing gzcomp and uploading the corrected Settings.pl... Perhaps I either should fall back to an earlier version (2.1) or forget about it alltogether...

Anyway thanks for trying! BTW: How did you try as admin? The default password has been changed, so that won't work, and the other admins have unrelated passwords.

Richard

IP Logged

jmattioni
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #49 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 3:57pm
Post Tools
Richard,

I had already set a new admin password right after installing, back when it was working ok. At this point with gzcomp set back to the default of 1 I can get the initial forum index page to come up, but get a blank page or "content encoding error" when trying to log on as admin or as moderator.

I've reported the problem to my host provider and they seem to think they have an issue, but with the holidays I imagine it may take a while. I have my doubts it's the host since it worked throughout my testing and for a couple of weeks live.

I have confirmed that my host runs Perl 5.8.8 and so this could be an issue with Yabb 2.5 which seems to want Perl 5.10. Perhaps an earlier version would work. I just don't understand why my testing went fine and then it suddenly broke after a couple of weeks of use.

Can anyone tell me if Yabb does automatic updates? Something changed either in Yabb or on my host, I just can't seem to figure out what.

The default forum supported by my host is PhPBB and I'm pretty much ready to go that route.

Joe Mattioni

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 6:58pm
Post Tools
jmattioni wrote on Dec 26th, 2010 at 3:57pm:
Can anyone tell me if Yabb does automatic updates? Something changed either in Yabb or on my host, I just can't seem to figure out what.

YaBB does not do auto updating ....
A Host does updating, maintenance and security changes.  Just a defrag of their server can change CHMODs.  A Security update can change permissions, a server move can corrupt files.  A Host server is not much different than a home PC, it runs multiple software, hard disk file fragmentation and occasionally has "glitches".

IP Logged

Richard IV
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #51 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 9:38pm
Post Tools
jmattioni wrote on Dec 22nd, 2010 at 10:52pm:

Joe Mattioni

Hi Joe,

The strange thing is, on occasion the forum will work, after a undetermined number of reloads, and when I am "in " and post something, the preview may not work, but storing the post will work, perfect even but then logged off for the day and attempting to log on again, the next day, it won't!

I also tried to run it without the "www" before the domain name, (because I saw that suggested here on this forum) changed the URL settings in paths (through the Admin Center on one of the rare occasions I could load it), but I think the Guardian was blocking me then, as I got an error saying so much of that this action was not allowed from outside the domain Cry

Richard

IP Logged

Richard IV
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #52 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 11:59pm
Post Tools
JonB and Captain John,

As far as I am concerned this thread can be closed, I have opened a new domain and copied YaBB to that new location, and it seems to work flawlessly and fast. If you want to look for yourself: [url=The New Location]http://www.thebeshavenforum.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl[/url] I will remove the YaBB installation on the "old" location right away.

Thank you both for the time invested in this problem, it was very much appreciated and - as it seems - CJ was right Wink

Richard

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Post Tools
Glad you got it running.   Your Welcome ...

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #54 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 1:11am
Post Tools
Good Luck at your new home...