Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic forgot password link not working (Read 2,001 times)
deborahalves

forgot password link not working
Dec 18th, 2010 at 9:47pm
Post Tools
Hello all
our forum, which has been running over a year now, has a glitch. The email that users receive (and they DO receive an email) when clicking on "forgot password" does not work. It is not a matter of line breaks, tried that.

I checked the error log and the customer gets:
User name/password mismatch.

This is not just one or two situations, it is generic across the board, none are working.

Please, any ideas????
Thanks, Deborah

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: forgot password link not working
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 4:20am
Post Tools
@ deborahalves  you don't state what version of YaBB your running.  I presume you checked CHMODs on the ./Members folder and the files ........

IP Logged

deborahalves

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 4:24pm
Post Tools
hi john
version 2.5AE
and i did NOT check permissions cause i didn't think they would just change magically but guess that can happen. 755 right?

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 5:55pm
Post Tools
Oh yes ... Hosts' doing maintenance on servers can and do change CHMODs, that is why we often tell users to check these, especially when a forum is running good and all of a sudden things start happening.
  Another Host subject is when they update or change security settings or fail to upgrade their Operating Systems or addins such as Perl, so many don't, unless users complain.
   When YaBB was first released the requirement for Perl or Perl modules were very limited, as YaBB is updated, features added the requirements need to be filled by the newer versions that incorporate them.
   We strongly suggest a Host provide Perl 5.8 .... actually the latest version is Perl 5.12.2 !  That's like your pc running Windows XP, since Windows has been upgraded to Vista and Windows 7 now ...  Noone would put XP on one of the New laptops or desktops with the new processors and expect new software to run correctly.

IP Logged

deborahalves

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 9:46pm
Post Tools
here is the actual problem:
the link in the reminder password does not work.

when you click the link, what it does is clears out the ID in Members/forgotten.passes and redirects the browser to a url like this:

http://imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?action=profileCheck2;redir=myprof...

and  it says at the top: "Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register" and gives an error in the system information box that says "you are not allowed to access that section."

HOWEVER, you can take the password jHW0gQzR and go to login and put in your user and this password and get in, but when you click the link in the email, the redirect does not work.

The forum is at: http://www.imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl.

thanks, deborah

IP Logged

deborahalves

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 12:06am
Post Tools
Can't anyone help me? Please?

Why can't I modify the "forgot password" email to read like the "registration with password" email, and just tell them their password, like:

Code
Select All
Your current password is : {yabb password} 

Would it show their current password by just putting that in?

Deborah
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2010 at 12:33am by deborahalves »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 1:09am
Post Tools
deborahalves wrote on Dec 21st, 2010 at 12:06am:
Why can't I modify the "forgot password"

You can > Admin Center - (left side menu) Forum Controls - Email Messages
English (Go) drop down - The Password Reminder Email > Go

But what makes you think changing something that has worked before, needs text content changing ?
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2010 at 1:12am by »  

IP Logged

deborahalves

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 2:34am
Post Tools
thank you but I do know that i can change the email in the admin. this was an idea i had and asked the question: "Would it show their current password by just putting that in?" That didn't make any sense that it would work since it is not an allowed field. I was just asking.

Quote:
here is the actual problem:
the link in the reminder password does not work.

when you click the link, what it does is clears out the ID in Members/forgotten.passes and redirects the browser to a url like this:

http://imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?action=profileCheck2;redir=myprof....

and  it says at the top: "Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register" and gives an error in the system information box that says "you are not allowed to access that section."

HOWEVER, you can take the password jHW0gQzR and go to login and put in your user and this password and get in, but when you click the link in the email, the redirect does not work.

The forum is at: http://www.imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl.

thanks, deborah

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:16am
Post Tools
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools