Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Forum not loading correctly... (Read 2,472 times)
jgmp
YaBB Newcomer

Forum not loading correctly...
Dec 22nd, 2010 at 7:41pm
Post Tools
I've been a YaBB user for almost 9 years now, and I have heavily relied on these wonderful support forums in the past for issues that have come up (especially since I am not well-versed in a lot of these "techie" aspects of YaBB).

Well, I'm here again, because I'm experiencing some issues with my forums not correctly loading. Back in September, the forums would not correctly load for myself and my visitors.  The main board or a sub-board would begin to load and then abruptly stop (within a few seconds), sometimes revealing snippets of HTML code.  It seems to be random in where the forum stops loading - it reveals a different HTML code each time or stops loading at random spots of the forum.  I contacted my server to check on any possible server hiccups, because I was also experiencing slow loading times for the main website and photo galleries.  In that time, I did a much-needed upgrade to YaBB 2.5 AE.  Unfortunately, I still experienced the same non-loading issues after the upgrade. 

By the time the server support staff were able to get back to me and get more specifics (over the span of 4-5 days), the problem seemed to self-correct! 

Well, I'm again experiencing the same problems with the forum not loading properly, but I am NOT experiencing any slowness with other parts of my website (main website and/or photo galleries).  I contacted my server again, but they basically told me that they cannot give any third-party application support.

I have attempted to perform the maintenance controls, hoping that might help - but it just times out and whatever page I am working on does not load properly again. 

So, I am hoping to receive some guidance on what my next step(s) should be and see if I can get my forums back up before Christmas. 

Thank you!!!

Julie

p.s. Forum URL: http://www.nadia-bjorlin.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl ; (not sure if this will even help, since the forum is not even loading properly)

IP Logged

Tysonmm
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Forum not loading correctly...
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 8:00pm
Post Tools

IP Logged

jgmp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 8:13pm
Post Tools
All chmods were checked and double-checked when I did the upgrade back in September.  The forum was functional and running great after things seemed to self-correct, so I have not personally changed anything since then.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:26am
Post Tools
Oh yes ... Hosts' doing maintenance on servers can and do change CHMODs, that is why we often tell users to check these, especially when a forum is running good and all of a sudden things start happening.
Another Host subject is when they update or change security settings or fail to upgrade their Operating Systems or addins such as Perl, so many don't, unless users complain.
  As for loading in the browser ... seems to be alot of that going around (not only in YaBB) Netflix, Sony, Bravia, Joomla and sites using php.
  Problem "seems" to be Content Error, Compression type not supported.
Compression is used "between" the browser and a website, Check with your Host on the type of Compression they are using.  YaBB has settings to allow external Gzip or Zlib or none.

IP Logged

jgmp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 2:25am
Post Tools
Quote:
Oh yes ... Hosts' doing maintenance on servers can and do change CHMODs, that is why we often tell users to check these, especially when a forum is running good and all of a sudden things start happening.

Okey dokey - I went back and re-did the CHMODs. However, I was still not able to access my forum without time-outs.

Quote:
As for loading in the browser ... seems to be alot of that going around (not only in YaBB) Netflix, Sony, Bravia, Joomla and sites using php.
 Problem "seems" to be Content Error, Compression type not supported.
Compression is used "between" the browser and a website, Check with your Host on the type of Compression they are using.  YaBB has settings to allow external Gzip or Zlib or none.

I was actually able to find some information about this from my server's knowledgebase.  I had to edit my php.ini file with more information about 'zlib.output_compression' with the following changes (not sure if this information is helpful): 

zlib.output_compression = On
zlib.output_compression_level = 7

...however, these changes that I've made have not made any difference - I'm still receiving errors and time-outs.

IP Logged

jgmp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 2:27am
Post Tools
Oh, I forgot to add that that previously, the compression read this:

zlib.output_compression = Off

IP Logged

jgmp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 4:46pm
Post Tools
Just seeing if there are any other 'fixes' I could try.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 6:47pm
Post Tools
jgmp wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 2:25am:
still not able to access my forum without time-outs

Try different browsers ... this is a communications error .. not a YaBB error.  We allow using the 2 stated or none to conform to what the Host has setup ... they specify the type required, needed or used.

jgmp wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 2:27am:
Oh, I forgot to add that that previously, the compression read this:

zlib.output_compression = Off

The above in php.ini ?  Doesn't have anything to do with YaBB.

For YaBB, see attachment ......
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2010 at 6:56pm by »  

Advanced.jpg ( 64 KB | 196 Downloads )
Advanced.jpg

IP Logged

jgmp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:47am
Post Tools
I *think* we are up and running again.  Had to choose 'No Output Compression,' and it looks like everything is running again.

IP Logged

jgmp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:51am
Post Tools
Nope...spoke too soon. The different sub-forums and some threads are loading, but not all the way.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 3:27am
Post Tools
jgmp wrote on Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:51am:
The different sub-forums

Sub-forums ?  YaBB has not released a forum using sub-"boards"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools