Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Mail Groups function does not work (Read 998 times)
Hayden Rorke
YaBB Newcomer

Mail Groups function does not work
Jan 13th, 2011 at 6:38pm
Post Tools
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me please...

I currently got YaBB 2.5 AE installed running on Linux server and everything is working great as it should apart from mailing the members function.

In the admin centre > 'Email Your Members'
comes up with the 'Mail Groups'
Selecting this should send the email to members belonging to that group but it does not.

However, on the same panel, if I click 'Mail Members' on the right top corner first and then, select the the 'Mail Groups' which is now located at the left bottom corner, it will tick the members belonging to that group and mail does get sent.

Because of this, if a member belongs to 2 or more groups, it can only send email the primary group that members belongs to and not to the others.  This has started to cause a bit of a problem.

Is this a bug of some sort or am I doing something wrong during set up?  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Mail Groups function does not work
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
Hayden Rorke wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 6:38pm:
Because of this, if a member belongs to 2 or more groups, it can only send email the primary group that members belongs to and not to the others.  This has started to cause a bit of a problem.

Is this a bug of some sort or am I doing something wrong during set up?  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If this was done any other way than just the primary (position) membergroup members would receive an email for every and all membergroups they are assigned to.  Duplicating the same email times every membergroup assigned to.  Not a good thing.
   "started to cause a problem" Why ?  Isn't (just one) email to an individual member enough ?

IP Logged

Hayden Rorke
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 6:58pm
Post Tools
Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply.

The board is used for a student society.  Initially the members will join and get allocated a post independent position (Group).  Due to the international nature of the students' backgrounds, we need to create secondary position within the primary position.

So, in other words, when sending out notifications, Primary position people will receive and email of an event, then within that Primary position, the committee members or group leaders who are allocated a secondary position will need to receive communications within.

For ordinary forum use, just one position per member may be enough but for our use, we need more than 2 or 3 in some cases.

Thank you for reading all this.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 7:25pm
Post Tools
2 separate and not the same email ?

So  an email is sent to the Primary group .. All receive ... correct ?
a second email can't be sent to just the secondary group ?

A bug fix was incorporated in our next Beta version for group mailings ... try this  http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1281485059/13#13
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2011 at 7:37pm by »  

IP Logged

Hayden Rorke
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:04pm
Post Tools
Hi,

Thank you once again for your quick reply.

And most of all, thank you very much for the link to the bug fix!!  This bug fix has now cured it completely!!

For others having the same problem, I'll just clarify my points for future references.

1. The board is used for student society holding roughly around 100 people.

2. Each members are allocated to positions (groups) which are 'post independent'.  Most are given one position (primary) however, some are given another position (secondary).  This works really well as who can view and post on certain boards can be controlled as well as emailing relevant information.  In our case, this distinguish "ordinary members", "committee members", "event organisers" etc.  

3. The symptom
When 'Email Your Members' is chosen from the Admin menu, it gets the list of groups first.  When this is selected to a particular group, this does not work at all.  It does not matter whether it is primary or secondary position.  It just won't send anything.

It sends out email, only when 'Mail Members' were clicked first which takes you to the next screen and 'Groups' chosen on that page.

4. Solution
The bug fix code above has sorted this problem.

I would like to thank you once again for your time and kindness in helping us out.  The students are trying to organise the forthcoming international cultural exchange event which required more position to be added for ease of communication and this will help us a lot.

YaBB is the best!!  Thank you very much!! Smiley

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 10:55pm
Post Tools
Welcome .....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools