Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Transfer Yabb 2.4 to New Server (Read 1,656 times)
The Boy

Re: Transfer Yabb 2.4 to New Server
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 7:59pm
Post Tools
Quote:
The Boy wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:32pm:
Filezilla always manages to pick the right type.

You're lucky ... I have installed a few (50+) and had problems with Filezilla in Auto transfer mode "until" I added some YaBB txt files with extensions that were not identified in the AscII section of Filezilla.

I must be lucky - and I do see regular issues of incorrect upload in the support areas of this site.

I must have installed YaBB about 30 times in the last month as part of my YaBB3 testing (and subsequent destroying Grin)

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 5:36pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:32pm:
Filezilla always manages to pick the right type.

You're lucky ... I have installed a few (50+) and had problems with Filezilla in Auto transfer mode "until" I added some YaBB txt files with extensions that were not identified in the AscII section of Filezilla.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Post Tools
Quote:
I too use Filezilla to download and upload installations ... the only thing you MUST do is use the correct Transfer Mode (everything under yabb2 folder MUST be transferred as AscII) and files under yabbfiles Must be transferred per file ext.
 Then the correct CHMODs MUST be verified.
That covers everything needed.

In my experience of Filezilla and YaBB, Filezilla always manages to pick the right type.

CHMODding can be a pain - I have shell access, and have a shell script to do my CHMODing (and CHOWNing), though the umask knackers up any new files created, so I just ensure that the virtual Apache user is the owner, and has 7xx perms on every file Grin

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 6:32pm
Post Tools
I too use Filezilla to download and upload installations ... the only thing you MUST do is use the correct Transfer Mode (everything under yabb2 folder MUST be transferred as AscII) and files under yabbfiles Must be transferred per file ext.
 Then the correct CHMODs MUST be verified.
That covers everything needed.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2011 at 6:53pm by »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:24pm
Post Tools
Hi,

jon666 wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 1:36pm:
However I don't really understand why I can't simply ftp all files down to my machine then ftp up to my new (Linux) server account.

You can do this. That's the way I would do it myself. The only thing you really have to worry about is the paths, but as you say, the paths are the same anyway, so you should be absolutely fine.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:33pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

jon666

Transfer Yabb 2.4 to New Server
Jan 21st, 2011 at 1:36pm
Post Tools
Have read official instructions on how to do this at http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190674425

However I don't really understand why I can't simply ftp all files down to my machine then ftp up to my new (Linux) server account. Have no mods or plugins and the only files I've ever changed are the templates and language  - never touched the .pl files.

I have linux on my pc and use Filezilla to ftp. Files I have modified in the past have always kept their permissions intact.

I do understand that I must change the start date of the forum but really can't see why any other change would be necessary. File paths and domain name will be identical on new server. Can anyone please enlighten me?
Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top