Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Task Scheduling System (Read 5,296 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Task Scheduling System
Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:02pm
Post Tools
just seen this on a forum and think yabb can ues sumthing like this
Task Scheduling System
Keeping your forum in tip-top shape
A built-in schedule system in MyBB helps keep your forum performing at its best. Running behind the scenes on your forum, the task system will automatically execute different jobs at different times.

This includes things like:

Checking for database tables that are corrupt and need repairing
Rebuilding the daily list of birthdays to be shown on the home page
Updating the “most popular” thread and post statistics
Cleaning up old Captcha images, search history and thread redirects
Promoting users to new user groups based on the group promotions
Sending out mass-emails and newsletters
Lifting expired user account bans and suspensions

from http://www.mybb.com/features/tasks

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

The Boy

Re: Task Scheduling System
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:56pm
Post Tools
Doesn't YaBB do most of that already  Wink

Those tasks it doesn't do that I do need to perform...  ...well, thats what cron was invented for  Tongue

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 11:11pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:56pm:
Doesn't YaBB do most of that already  Wink

Those tasks it doesn't do that I do need to perform...  ...well, thats what cron was invented for  Tongue

Doesn't YaBB do most of that already  Wink

Those tasks it doesn't do that I do need to perform...  ...well, thats what cron was invented for  Tongue

as far as i know yabb dus not (auto rebuild board index) and (auto recount members) and that

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:58am
Post Tools
Nothing is auto, YaBB expects an admin to do something.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 11:34am
Post Tools
Doesn't YaBB do most of that already 

Those tasks it doesn't do that I do need to perform...  ...well, thats what cron was invented for 

as you can see cj sed

Quote:
Nothing is auto, YaBB expects an admin to do something.

and i think yabb can do with

xnoddyx wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 11:11pm:
(auto rebuild board index) and (auto recount members) and that

like auto remove members that haven't verified Email that can be after 30 day or what ever it is set to and so on
and i have seen more and more Webinstall scripts as in a small file pack that will install the website app for you but thort i wod just let yous know about this

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 3:53pm
Post Tools
Am I missing something? YaBB index rebuilds are only needed when the system corrupts itself.

I sure as hell wouldn't want an automated script to come along and do its worse when I knew there was corruption, I'd like a known good backup as a minimum first.

Day to day forum maintenence is pretty automatic on YaBB.  Yes, I have a few scripts that, for example, automatically lock threads that meet certain board and age criteria - these are the sort of things I run from cron. Along with YaBB backups (I don't use the built in backup tool  Embarrassed).  I have a busy 1,000,000+ post YaBB, and rarely need to touch any indexing, counts, unregistered members  Undecided

I'm sure I've misunderstood what you have said/queried, but unable to fathom what/why  Embarrassed

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 3:57pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 11:11pm:
as far as i know yabb dus not (auto rebuild board index) and (auto recount members) and that

It keeps those all sorted itself, except when the system corrupts them (eg, kernel panic, power cut, FS corrupt). Its for these (hopefully rare!) scenarios that the manual rebuild options exist. No need to run them as a regular thing (just as well, with a large forum, they can take over an hour Roll Eyes)

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 2:06pm
Post Tools
well it was a thort as i am seeing more and more systems with db having a (Task Scheduling System)
but hay what do i know its not like i havent been on the net from 1995 oh one min i have lol  Shocked

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 8:24pm
Post Tools
I can only go by my, somewhat large, YaBB forum.  Moderation aside, it doesn't need any regular maintence tasks *.  Once in a blue moon, I have to rebuild indexes (job job its rare, it takes well over an hour on my site Shocked), usually when we've had to power cycle the Linux server due to Linux's inability to sensibly handle its memory resources  Lips Sealed

* I do have some regular, automated tasks for backups, google submission, autolock threads etc from *nix's built in cron.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:59pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Feb 2nd, 2011 at 8:24pm:
I can only go by my, somewhat large, YaBB forum.  Moderation aside, it doesn't need any regular maintence tasks *.  Once in a blue moon, I have to rebuild indexes (job job its rare, it takes well over an hour on my site Shocked), usually when we've had to power cycle the Linux server due to Linux's inability to sensibly handle its memory resources  Lips Sealed

* I do have some regular, automated tasks for backups, google submission, autolock threads etc from *nix's built in cron.

but there are the ppl that have forums that dont know what cron and are more just click and go and dont like geting into the ins and out of the forum just want one that works

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 5:57pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:59pm:
just want one that works

and YaBB works !  Automating maintenance on a forum can bring about many problems on its own.  On a small forum it may not, but there is still the possibility of corrupting files (any time you open and close files, read/write back to the hardisk), Hosts maintenance has been known to change CHMODs, with them performing harddisk compression, backing up and defragging.
  Doing maintenance on a large forum can cause server timeouts and large server useage that could cause you to get your site locked down by your Host.
  Running regular scheduled Maintenance on a forum that doesn't need it, is asking for problems.
   YaBB has a built in Backup reminder, and Maintenance functions to cover any problem "if" needed.
   It is MUCH better to have an involved Admin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top