Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic 1st perl forum experience (Read 2,116 times)
Weiyan
YaBB Newcomer

1st perl forum experience
Feb 1st, 2011 at 12:26am
Post Tools
In past months and years, used php forums and blogs. When I want to be a serious programmer, started learning perl again. This means in past I had learned perl but not successs. I googled "powered by perl" and find this site. Download a copy in my localhost. This flat file forum is very interesting, it seems impossible in PHP.

One thing I discovered this forum is superior to others is the text editor which I am typing this post.

Herry up to go to swimming. Back soon. Tongue

IP Logged

The Boy

Re: 1st perl forum experience
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
Weiyan wrote on Feb 1st, 2011 at 12:26am:
This flat file forum is very interesting

And it works incredibly well. I have a site with well over 1,000,000 posts, so it scales really, really well. And being flat files, offers scope for different forms of automated maintenence  Roll Eyes

The downside is the search facility is awful on larger forums, as it has to open each thread file, one at a time, to search it Shocked

IP Logged

Weiyan
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:45pm
Post Tools
Your site is very fast. Befre convert to perl,  I think mysql is heart of every website. After browding powered by perl sites, i find flat file not an inferior technology.

Regarding serch issue, should you consider google/yahoo site search?

I want to ask you a question, you are right to not answer. Do you put the yabb.pl in "cgi-bin", or just put in "forum", like  most php script run in everywhere of the web site?

Regards. Cheesy

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:41pm
Post Tools
Weiyan wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:45pm:
Do you put the yabb.pl in "cgi-bin", or just put in "forum", like  most php script run in everywhere of the web site?

"Most" updated/new web hosts allow Perl scripts to be run from any folder, even including the root or a folder you create in the public_html or www folder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top