Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Is flat-text file as data storage safe? (Read 1,137 times)
The Boy

Re: Is flat-text file as data storage safe?
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 7:54pm
Post Tools
Quote:
The Boy wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:55pm:
That 0.1% of the time is what backups are for

I like that response !

Blimey, does that mean we agree on something at last?  Smiley

In all honesty, in just under 5yrs of my YaBB site, I have only had to go to the backups due to, errr, "human error"  Embarrassed  Grin

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 5:43pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:55pm:
That 0.1% of the time is what backups are for

I like that response !

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:55pm
Post Tools
To add to this, I run a fairly busy YaBB site, with well over a million posts.

Data corruption is a rarity, generally only happens on the odd occasion we've had to power cycle our Linux server due to lockups/crashes.  Even then, 99.9% of the time, the built in maintenence functions in the Admin panel resolve these. That 0.1% of the time is what backups are for Wink

Data integrity, from a security point of view, is all down to your settings on the files, and the security/patching of your server, and this makes no difference if its a database file, other files, or the sensitive goings on of world governments...

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 3:03am
Post Tools
Unsafe in what sense???  Hacking???

Realisitically, databases like MySQL are probably more vulnerable to attack than flatfile systems. Why? because the database engine and its filesets (databases) are self-defining and the methodolgies are widely undetrstood.  Databses do have great advantages also (like that self-defining thing) - the interface and logic are irrelevant to the data - so you can use other tools (languages, API's, reporting and analytics) with the dataset (also why its more vulnerable)

The most important consideration in the security of a YaBB forum is probably setting file and folder permissions correctly.  If you follow the Codex/Quick Start Guide you should not have problems.

The only truly vulnerable data in YaBB are the usernames, e-mail addresses and passwords. Once a user is registered, YaBB does not store the user password anywhere in  plain-text, rather its stored in a one-way hash code (meaning its next to impossible to recontruct the password).  Even the admin cannot retrieve a password, they can only be reset (there's an e-mail PW recovery/reset option for users to reset their own PW's). 

All the data files are stored in a fashion that only the YaBB 'script' has direct access to them.

BTW - in the near future YaBB will have the option for you to run it in flatfile mode or use MySQL (and yes, you will probably be able to convert from one to the other).

I hope that's a start on the answers you were seeking...

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

supertanno
YaBB Newcomer

Is flat-text file as data storage safe?
Feb 3rd, 2011 at 8:25pm
Post Tools
I'm planning on getting YaBB, but the flat-text storage is withholding me, because I personally consider it unsafe (I could be wrong). Am I right? Does it have any advantages? Any disadvantages?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top