Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic YaBB SP2 BETA 6 Upgrade (Read 2,362 times)
VirgoMoon
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB SP2 BETA 6 Upgrade
Feb 11th, 2011 at 5:58pm
Post Tools
I am running "YaBB SP2 BETA 6" according to my admin page.  I don't see a reference to that in the version upgrade instructions with the latest upgrade package.  What version is this and how should I best proceed with an upgrade to the latest version?  Thank you so much for your time.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: YaBB SP2 BETA 6 Upgrade
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 6:19pm
Post Tools
Sounds Like YaBB 1 Beta 6.  Being that old suggest you follow the Quick-Guide included in the YaBB Installation download.
   I would make it a 2 part upgrade, Install Y2.1 and follow the directions for that upgrade, then Install a fresh install of Y2.5 and those upgrade instructions.

IP Logged

VirgoMoon
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 4:46pm
Post Tools
In attempting the first part of your suggested upgrades, I went with YaBB_2_RC3.zip .  When I go to converting the old Members, it seems to be 'mangling' the Members filenames.  For example, old member 'junior' with email 'j1@gmail.com' had file 'junior.vars', the converted filename is 'juniorj1@gmail.com' .   Is this name changing correct?

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 5:39pm
Post Tools
VirgoMoon wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 4:46pm:
In attempting the first part of your suggested upgrades, I went with YaBB_2_RC3.zip .  When I go to converting the old Members, it seems to be 'mangling' the Members filenames.  For example, old member 'junior' with email 'j1@gmail.com' had file 'junior.vars', the converted filename is 'juniorj1@gmail.com' .   Is this name changing correct?

That was a BAD decision, Y2.1 is the best to jump to from your version.

IP Logged

VirgoMoon
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Post Tools
I want to say I tried 2.1 last night and had the same issue, but I've since started over with this install.  I figured going a little further back in the upgrade chain would prove better results.  But, I'll try this again with the base 2.1

IP Logged

VirgoMoon
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 8:37pm
Post Tools
From what I can gather from comments in the various settings files, I have 'YaBB 2 RC 1'.  Upgrading to 2.1 didn't go well either due to file structure changes in there somewhere.  My next idea is to go with an incremental upgrade and go through each release from my apparent version until I get to the latest one.  The problem I'm running into, however, is that the instructions don't seem to be very clear in one particular aspect.  There are instructions on making a completely new and empty forum, and how to convert from a 1.x forum to the current (which is what kept breaking on me since I don't have a 1.x) but not on how to migrate the data from the old to the new.  It looks like I should be able to simply move the Members, Messages, and Boards directory data over to the new one or perhaps move the new code over to the old file structure, but it's not terribly clear.  Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 9:03pm
Post Tools
If your version is actually 2 RC, then .... upgrade to Y2.4, then Y2.5
Quote:
Once the uploading is complete, DO NOT visit your new forum just yet. If you are upgrading from a beta version of YaBB 2.0 earlier than YaBB 2.0 Pre-Release, specifically versions YaBB 2 RC 1, YaBB 2 RC 2, or YaBB 2 RC 3, then point your browser window to FixFile.pl and run this utility. This will update the file structure for your YaBB 2 data.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2011 at 9:05pm by »  

IP Logged

VirgoMoon
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 9:31pm
Post Tools
Thank you for your replies, Captain John.  I'm going to give this a break for a few hours, then take the route you suggested.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools