Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) I wish my template didn't have so much dead space (Read 6,545 times)
DMelanogaster
YaBB Newcomer

I wish my template didn't have so much dead space
Feb 12th, 2011 at 3:35pm
Post Tools
I'm attaching two pages from message boards: one is mine. I kind of hate it. The ratio of dead space to text is enormous. I think it looks ridiculous. The other attachment is a page from another board. It's an example of a template that is compact and does the job so well! How can I get a template like that for my board without having to redo everything?? is it possible?
thanks

ringopage.jpg ( 81 KB | 251 Downloads )
ringopage.jpg
beautifulboard.jpg ( 111 KB | 140 Downloads )
beautifulboard.jpg

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: I wish my template didn't have so much dead space
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 6:20pm
Post Tools
Sure ... the second image is using the Y2.4 Display.Template and the side bar is a simply addition to the html template.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2011 at 6:35pm by »  

IP Logged

DMelanogaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 4:49pm
Post Tools
Thanks for your response. My 'tech person' (a.k.a. my husband) tells me that we're using a version of YaBB that's more recent than the one you suggest. However, more important, he tells me that he's already customized the template (using help from somebody else) to the point that changing templates at this time would be an awful lot of work.

So -- one more question-- is there any way to eliminate the reasons for some of the extra space -- that is, the lines that say things like "The Land of Yabb" or "Newbie", etc. - and just have the line that gives the date and time and the line with the name of the poster?

I understand this may not be possible. I'm just trying to pare this thing down to its essentials so it looks at least semi-professional.  THANKS!

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
DMelanogaster wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 4:49pm:
he tells me that he's already customized the template (using help from somebody else) to the point that changing templates at this time would be an awful lot of work.

Not so ... changing the one (1) template, "Display.template" will not alter your customization.

Try the above ... before eliminating things.

IP Logged

DMelanogaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 3:50pm
Post Tools
Hi, my husband would like to know more about this:

"Sure ... the second image is using the Y2.4 Display.Template"

Can you say if this template has more of a name, and where can we find it? He says he has changed his original template and doesn't understand how changing this template would not change the changes he has already made to the existing file, but he's willing to take the plunge anyway. But he needs more information and direction as to which exact file this is and where he can find it.  Thanks a lot! (we are hoping not to explode all his hours of hard work)

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 6:35pm
Post Tools
DMelanogaster wrote on Feb 19th, 2011 at 3:50pm:
Y2.4 Display.Template

The Display.template is in the cgi-bin/yabb2/Template/default (or the default template folder for the Template your using).

DMelanogaster wrote on Feb 19th, 2011 at 3:50pm:
He says he has changed his original template and doesn't understand how changing this template would not change the changes he has already made to the existing file,

Mainly because most and normally any customization of the YaBB forum is totally done within the default.html and the default.css, most, never modify the Display.template.  YaBB has used almost the exact same file (Display.template) since Y2.1, Only Y2.5 modified it to change the format in the Message Post.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2011 at 6:41pm by »  

IP Logged

DMelanogaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 3:03pm
Post Tools
thank you My husband changed the template as you suggested. I'm attaching a screenshot. It eliminated the large 3D 'pipes'. I'm still wondering, though, if there is a way to eliminate a lot of the "noise" in the posts. For example, the left-hand column has stuff like

YABB ADMINISTRATOR
yabb administrator (Again?? why?)

Posts 8
The Land of Yabb
Can I possibly get rid of all of that? In the very template we're writing in right now, all that stuff (and there is much less of it) is in the top left, not all along the left, using up so much space. I'm sorry to keep bothering you! I appreciate your help. Just trying to make this as spare as possible. Also, is it possible to eliminate that whole line of Quote  Modify Split Delete or at least just have them as text and not those Icon-like things? I am trying to de-Cute my board.

I'm attaching again the second example, from College Confidential, of a spare, professional-looking message board, which would be my goal. Thanks!!

yabb.jpg ( 46 KB | 162 Downloads )
yabb.jpg
college.jpg ( 18 KB | 238 Downloads )
college.jpg

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 5:48pm
Post Tools
DMelanogaster wrote on Feb 20th, 2011 at 3:03pm:
YABB ADMINISTRATOR <Display name
yabb administrator (Again?? why?) Membergroup
Online  < Status

Posts 8  Total Posts
The Land of Yabb Location

Status, Location, User Text (not shown) and Gender can be hidden for display in the Admin Center
Show User Text in Message View?      
Show Gender Image in Message View?

DMelanogaster wrote on Feb 20th, 2011 at 3:03pm:
from College Confidential, of a spare, professional-looking message board, which would be my goal. Thanks!!

Then you have the option.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2011 at 5:51pm by »  

IP Logged

DMelanogaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 10:38pm
Post Tools
Sorry I can't find membergroup, total posts, or location anywhere in the Admin area! sorry to be a pest; can you possibly be very specific -- I go to Admin and then where do I go? thanks!

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 11:11pm
Post Tools
Hi,

Some things you can't disable from the Admin Center, so you'll need to remove the tags from the template file - Display.template:    

Code
Select All
   {yabb userlink}
        <div class="small">
        {yabb memberinfo}<br />
        {yabb stars}
        {yabb useronline}<br />
        {yabb userpic}
        {yabb usertext}<br />
        {yabb postinfo}
        {yabb location}
        {yabb gender}
        {yabb ext_prof}
        {yabb isbuddy} 

It probably looks slightly different to your template, but you should see what I mean.

IP Logged

DMelanogaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 1:57am
Post Tools
Wow, you have helped me so much with that! I have eliminated all kinds of stuff. I wonder if you could look at my latest attachment and tell me what the rest of the stuff I want to eliminate is called within the template file, so I don't go crazy and delete things that would be disastrous to get rid of??

So.. I would like to get rid of the title of the thread at the top of EACH post -- in this attachment, it's "Hello, I'm Ringo, help me finish my songs" -- (I want to keep it as the overall title of the thread, of course)  -- what is that called?

The other thing I want to get rid of is that icon in the lower right that is just to the left of that long number, and also I want to eliminate that number (in this case, it's 166.84.167.27).

And I also want to eliminate "the administrator" as a signature for all my posts. It's enough that it says Administrator on the upper left of my posts.

And I also want to eliminate "Back to top" on the bottom left.

Thank you for all your help! sorry if I'm supposed to know where to look for the instructions myself. I never seem to understand them.

forum_001.jpg ( 140 KB | 231 Downloads )
forum_001.jpg

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 2:30am
Post Tools
Of cause. It's all in Display.template still anyway:

DMelanogaster wrote on Feb 21st, 2011 at 1:57am:
So.. I would like to get rid of the title of the thread at the top of EACH post -- in this attachment, it's "Hello, I'm Ringo, help me finish my songs" -- (I want to keep it as the overall title of the thread, of course)  -- what is that called?

Find and remove this:

Code
Select All
            <b>{yabb subject}</b><br /> 

The other thing I want to get rid of is that icon in the lower right that is just to the left of that long number, and also I want to eliminate that number (in this case, it's 166.84.167.27).

Find and remove the highlighted:

Code
Select All
               <span class="small">{yabb ipimg} {yabb ip}<br />{yabb permalink} &nbsp;</span> 

And I also want to eliminate "the administrator" as a signature for all my posts. It's enough that it says Administrator on the upper left of my posts.

You don't need to remove anything in the code for this, just remove your signature in User CP => Profile => Options - Signature.

And I also want to eliminate "Back to top" on the bottom left.

Remove this:

Code
Select All
        <a href="#top">$display_txt{'643'}</a> 

Edited:
Oh...

It's enough that it says Administrator on the upper left of my posts.

That's just your displayed name - You can change it in User CP => Edit Profile - Displayed Name.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011 at 3:00am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

DMelanogaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 3:51am
Post Tools
Thank You So Much!!! your advice helped me so much. I really appreciate it. Love this forum!

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 4:00am
Post Tools
You're very welcome.

IP Logged

DMelanogaster
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 6:15pm
Post Tools
One more (??) thing:

I would like to make all of this invisible:

-------------------------------------------

Forum Statistics      

The forum contains a total of 8 Posts within 6 Topics.
The most recent post is Re: Hello, I'm Ringo. Help me finish my songs. (Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:51pm).
View the
most recent posts on the forum.
There are a total of 7 registered members.
You have 1 Personal Messages of which 0 are new.

The most users ever online was 2 on Jan 26th, 2011 at 11:16am.
The most members ever online was 2 on Feb 4th, 2011 at 1:02pm.
The most guests ever online was 2 on Jan 29th, 2011 at 1:45pm.
The most search engines ever online was 0 on Jan 24th, 2011 at 9:37pm.
-----------------------------------
My husband looked around and couldn't find the file(s). Do you perhaps know what they are? thank you !!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools