Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Linux Server, Sky email (Read 1,806 times)
Alan Bennett
YaBB Newcomer

Linux Server, Sky email
Feb 13th, 2011 at 10:51pm
Post Tools
Hi

I am on a Linux server and want to use my sky email account. Sky uses an SSL connection for smtp on port 465, surely I should be able to implement email notifications on my Forum, using the same credentials I use for downloading smtp email into MS Outlook on my Windows PC?

IP Logged

The Boy

Re: Linux Server, Sky email
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:39pm
Post Tools
Alan Bennett wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 10:51pm:
Hi

I am on a Linux server and want to use my sky email account. Sky uses an SSL connection for smtp on port 465, surely I should be able to implement email notifications on my Forum, using the same credentials I use for downloading smtp email into MS Outlook on my Windows PC?

I'm not sure Sky would be happy with you using their mail service as a bulk/automated mailer Shocked

Does your hosting provider not provide a smarthost for mail?

IP Logged

bikerchris-uk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 1:21pm
Post Tools
I'd agree with The Boy - hosting services normally let you create new email accounts although it has to be said, they may not have the required security.

Who are you hosted with?

IP Logged

bikerchris-uk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 1:24pm
Post Tools
In addition, I would personally never use your personal email account - you may end up getting hundreds of emails a day if it becomes successful, sky may not appreciate you and ban you.

Initially, I would setup a forward, such as forum@yourwebsite.com and have it re-directed to your sky email account initially. If it gets busy, at least you'll know whether an email account from whoever provides hosting to you, will work on your forum.

I hope that makes sense?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools