Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) unable to open post (Read 6,186 times)
Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
unable to open post
Feb 17th, 2011 at 10:01pm
Post Tools
My wife has just posted a new topic to out cPanel based YaBB forum, which we have found unable to be opened. The topic islisted in the General Board, just as any other topic would be, and the following message accompanies any attempt to open the topic.

Error: Unable to open /home/proactiv/public_html/yabb/Boards/.txt
Verbose: No such file or directory

Please assist me in understanding this problem.

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: unable to open post
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 10:21pm
Post Tools
I have just attempted to repost the same message and received the same error message when I tried to post. Logged in as the Administrator yesterday, I changed some settings, mostly regarding who could access the posts, so as to make the forum closed. I also changed the field Forum Name under General Forum Settings. Would that have caused this fault?

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 10:34pm
Post Tools
I now notice that since the last posts were made yesterday, any new posts by current members are being labeled as posted by Ex Member. I certainly haven't excluded any members in my role as administrator.

Also, it was three days ago that I made admin changes, and posts have successfully been made and read since then. It's only since last night that these errors have occurred.

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 10:43pm
Post Tools
This has completely fallen apart.
Now I can't even log in, either as member or even administrator.
What the..?

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 11:31pm
Post Tools
It looks like my entire membership has been wiped. I am still logged on on another computer, and don't want to log off, as I am sure I won't be able to log back on. The reason for the membership wipe is probably that I tried to rebuild the membership list.
Why did all my members become ex-members in the first place?

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Membership completely wiped and no access to YaBB
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 2:18am
Post Tools
I hate to start a new topic about something I've already asked about, because I feel like I'm shouting.

This is a big issue for the communication lines of our business and I'd really like to sort it out.

I was able to sort out the privacy concerns I had with YaBB thanks to some great help from Derek Barnstorm, and YaBB has been working beautifully until this morning.

The administrative changes I made were to disable guest access to the forum, and I changed the forum name a little. Neither of these changes appears to have been a problem, as everyone has been able to contribute normally since then. Until this morning.

I posted on this board that my wife had attempted to post to the General Board and that the topic was not able to be opened, returning this error:

Error: Unable to open /home/proactiv/public_html/yabb/Boards/.txt
Verbose: No such file or directory

Thereafter, I tried to post the same message and another member posted a new topic, which both yielded an identical response.

On reviewing the General Board, I saw that all new posters were listed as Ex Members. I don't know how I was able to log in if I wasn't any longer a member, and I don't know why anyone was removed as members. I am the only administrator and I certainly didn't do it.

I logged in as the Administrator and clicked on the link to view the Member list and it was empty. Seeking to remedy this, I clicked rebuild list.

Now I cannot login at all, even through cPanel, from where the YaBB was installed.

I am currently logged in as a user, not administrator, on another machine, from before the member list rebuild. I don't dare logout from that machine.

Do I have any option other than to copy all of the topics posted and completely re-install YaBB and all its users?

Thanks for your help, I'm feeling a bit confused at the moment.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Membership completely wiped and no access to YaBB
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 2:51am
Post Tools
Hi,

Are all of the members still there on your server?

In the 'Members' folder open the username.vars files you're having issues with in a text editor and see if all the info is still there, or if any of them have become 0kb - Do the same thing with the .txt file in the 'Boards' directory.

If indeed those files have become blank, then I'm afraid you will need them from a back up. Have you got a back up?
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011 at 3:47am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:06am
Post Tools
Hi Derek,

I have just found my way in to file management through cPanel and checked the .vars files and the .txt files in the boards directory.

There is data in all of those files.

What do I do to fix them?

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:25am
Post Tools
What's happening when you try to log in as Admin? Is it a Username/Password mismatch?

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:43am
Post Tools
yes

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:48am
Post Tools
Okay. Download admin.vars from your server and manually change the password. So change the highlighted here:

Code
Select All
'password',"ISMvKXpXpadDiUoOSoAfww" 

Save it and upload it back to your server and then try logging in with the new password.

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 5:28am
Post Tools
Hi Derek,

So now it works. Please ignore the next paragraph!

I'm having all sorts of trouble here. I have tried to reply to your last post and nothing seems to be happening. The reply window starts to open but never does. It eventually just reverts back to your last post.

I have downloaded the file and altered the password. I'm sorry to say I don't know how to upload it. I have tried editing the file in cPanel's file manager, which appears to have worked (in that if I download the file, or edit it again after saving, the changes are there,) however I still can't login.

I am given this message:

Error: Username / Password mismatch.
The Username you specified does not exist or you entered a wrong password.

Is this because I haven't uploaded the file from planet earth, is there a minimum number of characters or a ratio of alpha to numeric characters I need to use....?

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 5:45am
Post Tools
I've never used cPanel so I'm not much help with how they expect to to handle files I'm afraid.

But, the password just needs to be a word (it will get encrypted when you log in) - any old word for now will do, you can change it again after. So like this:

Code
Select All
'password',"bubble" 

And then you should be able to log in with:

User: admin
Pass: bubble

Edited:
Actually, if you're using your right email address, try using the 'Forgot Password' feature.

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011 at 6:03am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Puttboy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 7:51am
Post Tools
I have tried logging in with the changed password, to no avail.

Typing "admin" into the User name and the altered password results in the Username / Password mismatch error.

I tried using the Forgot Password radio button and got an email to the account through which the administrator is registered. Yay. So I went to login as admin and copied and pasted the password the email link gave me... username/password mismatch. Boo.

Tried typing in the password, same result.

Started again, by re-entering the email address and clicking Forgot password, I just keep getting the same result.

What am I doing wrong?

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:42pm
Post Tools
Mmm. Undecided

Let's just try to get you Admin rights for now then so you can try the rebuild functions again.

You said you have another account which you can log in with? So, either use that account or register another account and in the username.vars file find this:

Code
Select All
'position',"" 

And give yourself Admin rights by adding this and saving it back to the server:

Code
Select All
'position',"Administrator" 

Hopefully you'll be able to access the Admin center then and try the 'Rebuild' functions again.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:47pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top