Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Desperate For Advice on Upgrading and Malware (Read 4,148 times)
Normpo
YaBB Newcomer

Desperate For Advice on Upgrading and Malware
Mar 26th, 2011 at 5:33pm
Post Tools
This forum was a big help to me 3 years ago when I finally upgraded to YaBB 2.2.1!  Now I really need to upgrade to whatever the latest version is because Google has me in their "Malicious Malware" database and FireFox 4 is blocking my users even though they say in their explanation there is NO evidence any attempts to initiate Malware. BlueHost (my hosting company) said I should (a) Restore my code from about 2 months ago (not the database) (b) contact Google to re-scan my site and "clear me" then (c)  upgrade my YaBB so that I have the latest built in protections.

Not sure of the exact order I should do this? Also, I have NO CLUE how to upgrade my YaBB. I know so very little about all this -- not a programmer and just know enough HTML to get by.

My website is poentrain2.com -- my users CAN get in okay with Windows Explorer but are being blocked by Firefox4 which uses the Google Webmaster database to identify malware.

What should I do?? Any help appreciated.

Norm

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Desperate For Advice on Upgrading and Malware
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Post Tools
Well I still use Y2.2.1 for one of my sites, without any problems.  But if for some reason you need to restore the code, it is advisable to Upgrade.
 The Installation zip file has a Quick-Guide included to show the steps needed to upgrade, there is also a upgrade_readme file also that may help.
  But note FF 4.0 and IE 9.0 are both beta editions of these browsers.  Meaning they are still considered under test and No software has been designed and tested for either of these yet.  Any software versions released after these browsers are released as RC (release candidate) should then be verified as compatible.
  I believe a few users have used IE9 to access YaBB 2.5 without any known bugs.
  I am presently using FF 3.6.16 and get this warning:
Quote:
Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for poemtrain2.com

What is the current listing status for poemtrain2.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 8 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 4 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-03-24, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-03-24.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including nw-company.cz.cc/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS11798 (ACEDATACENTERS).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, poemtrain2.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2011 at 7:26pm by »  

attackpage.jpg ( 52 KB | 221 Downloads )
attackpage.jpg

IP Logged

Normpo
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 7:54pm
Post Tools
Yes -- that is the same message I am getting. Sow what are YOU doing to resolve it if you are staying on 2.5?? I have emailed all 400 of my members to go in with IE Explorer but that is a work-around that is not a long term solution?? Any ideas?? I was told by BlueHost to contact Google Webmaster Tools (which I don't know how to do either) and ask them to re-scan my site after I have replaced all my HTML files with backups. The told me Firefox 4 is using Google's Malware database so anytime IT finds suspicious code embedded, it reacts with that message you posted -- even though whatever has been "embedded" has NOT caused any harm or initiated spreading anything beyond where it sits (that message says so).  I just hate all this "over-protection" some of us don't even want. My own computer and network are adequately protected from such invasions so I wish Mozilla would stop imposing their stiff on me. Do you know if there is a way to turn the Firefox malware protector to OFF!???

Thanks for your inputr

Norm

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 4:58pm
Post Tools
Hi

Sorry about your misadventure - BUT Bluehost has given you the correct info AFAIK

About fixing it -

If there is a problem, you will need to get to the bottom of it. Usually default.html has been hacked, but I don't know if that is/was the source of your problem.  

You need to locate the source of the problem, its usually a script that has been injected into default.html (that is where YaBB 'stuffs' its content). You should download defalut.html from your forum via FTP and and compare it to the origianl file (which you can find in the proper versions zip files on the YaBB Downloads page)  

default.html is normally found in cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/default folder on your server. You can always check you Path Settings in the YaBB Admin center to see where the Templates folder is located (in the directories entries).

Look for an 'include' statement or a HTTP address that has nothing to do with your host, or your forum.

Code
Select All
Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including nw-company.cz.cc/. 

If you haven't modified the forum, you could probably try just uploading a clean copy of default.html. Remember to upload in ASCII.text mode and fix the permissions.

NOW - Find out how to do the Google fix -

First you'll need some type of Google Login - a gmail account is the easiest.

THEN - follow this link - and sign in with your Google Account

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en

then - go to the Antimalware Forum..

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/label?lid=2fe2a8ee8e37c08e&hl=e...

They have Faq's and you can post any questions you may have.

READ THIS PAGE
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=1c3090220db34b1b&hl=...

Tada ~ (well almost)

Good Luck
Cool <== the cool Server Geek
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:12pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Normpo
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:10pm
Post Tools
Thanks so much -- I will research all that and let you know how I do

Norm

IP Logged

Normpo
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 9:34pm
Post Tools
Thanks again -- -- I did upload a "clean" default.html. But I have to tell you -- after 30 minutes on the Google site trying to do what they ask (see below) I was furious!! There was no way to navigate where they say to -- I had a programmer here and he too was "cursing out" Google for all the stuff they put us through. Yes they are trying to protect, but they really leave the webmaster out in the cold as to where the problem is and worse yet, how to get them to re-examine my cite to see if they can give it their god-like blessing! It goes beyond "protecting" -- it is prohibiting 400 members from getting on to my site!! All my 3.5 Firefox and IE browser people are fine and NOONE has reported any malware from their own protective computer programs. I am furious at this point! I just want them (Google) to re-test and then to tell us what they need removed.  I am beginning to feel like all the revolution folks in the Middle East -- I think we need to speaking out against this kind of policing if there is no assistance for remedies.
I left a post on the Google  Webmaster forum but I don't hold out much hope -- getting a support phone call is surely out of the questions -- "gods" do not use the phone  ~smile~

I appreciate your trying to help me -- any other ideas are appreciated -- I'll even PAY to have someone resolve it (Then maybe I'll start a class action suit against Google and Mozilla just to get their attention  ~smile~

Norm

IP Logged

Normpo
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 9:36pm
Post Tools
Ohhh forgot to put in their "wonderful" instructions for requesting a review -- the steps do NOT work!!!
"On the Webmaster Tools Home page, select the site you want.
    Click Diagnostics, and then click Malware.
    Click Request a review."

Norm

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 10:37pm
Post Tools
Well -

I'm not defending Google or Mozilla, but things that are 'free' on the internet, generally come only with DIY support, YaBB and some of the other very specific Open Source software - such as XAMPP, and hMail have very good forums where even 'its really NOT our issue' (like this one0 get hashed out - but they are the exception.  When you get into the 'for fee' services, many of the gig companies have excellent support staffs. I have a bunch of Yahoo Small Business hosted domains; they have excellent, 24/7 toll-free support manned by 'real' English speakers (just being a realist) that can and will solve even the most arcane server software errors and mail deliverability problems, including help debugging stuff like Outlook, smart-phones etc. and Zimbra. Their plans start very very reasonably, and are just about glitch free.  As for Google and Mozilla/Firefox,  you also have to bear in mind that in this case, THEY didn't cause the problem... 

You might also try posting on the Firefox forums as well - you never know when the right person will read it.

Anyway - tomorrow, I'll take a look at their instructions. For you - I think posting a "Global Announcement" on your forum, and a message on your YaBB Forum news - where its automatically displayed; announcing that you have fixed the malware problem - and that the matter of getting it off their 'malware sweeps' takes time might be useful.

BTW, Google Places requires them sending you a postcard with a printed confirmation code by snail-mail to the address you wish to 'stake out' (claim),  Estimated delivery 2-3 weeks  Shocked

Good Luck
Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2011 at 10:47pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Normpo
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 10:58pm
Post Tools
Good post, Jon -- good advice! I am just "wasted" over all this, I am afraid. Free or not, caused by someone other than them or not -- it is THEY who are "darning" the site and keeping my members out if they use Firefox. About 40 of them have switched to IE and they are fine.  I understand Google and FF are trying to be the "good cop" here -- but when you start blocking the public like this (and not a government agency) you BETTER provide a better solution process for the innocent webmaster.  I was able to get the site named "StopBadWare" and they act as my "agent" to get the site reviewed again. I'll see what happens with that -- otherwise I am instructing EVERYONE of my members to to un-install FF and go with IE and to write strong emails to them and Google about their inability to help. There has to be a better way -- and I see this becoming epidemic!!

You have been a great help -- I appreciate it.

Norm

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 11:24pm
Post Tools
Norm -

A surprise - and maybe a bit of help four you - I just tested your site on Google Chrome, and guess what??? no problemo,,as they say where it rains on the plain.

Those who are Firefox users, are more likely to use Chrome as a second browser, at least in my experience.

Safari - is doing something weird, it neither loads nor flags the page - just a blank screen.

But - Chrome works...

Cool

poem_chrome.png ( 119 KB | 119 Downloads )
poem_chrome.png

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:25pm
Post Tools
your source of index.html in the root of www.poemtrain2.com
Code (HTML)
Select All
<html>