Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Error when converting YaBB 1.4 to YaBB 2.5 AE (Read 9,356 times)
Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Error when converting YaBB 1.4 to YaBB 2.5 AE
May 4th, 2011 at 1:33pm
Post Tools
Hello.  Could really used some help.  Finally got around to upgrading my old 1.4 forum.  I followed the directions exactly as laid out in the YaBB 2.5 Quick Start Guide,...installed the entire package, etc, etc.

Tested the newly installed empty forum, and all was working.  I started the conversion, and it was rolling along fine, then got this error at 22% complete on the Member Conversion:

System Information

Unable to open ./Members/Apollo_Creed.vars
Verbose: Disk quota exceeded

I choose the "Back" link, which is the only active link on the page.  This brings me back to the Members Conversion page, where there is no more activity.  I refresh the page, the conversion *seems* to start again for 10 seconds, and then brings me right back to the same error.

Now, I can't access the forum, or the admin page,...and get this error in FireFox:

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

I did not get this error before I started the conversion.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Error when converting YaBB 1.4 to YaBB 2.5 AE
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2011 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
First -

A. occasionally YaBB will hiccup on a Back button action like that if the cookie has expired in the interim.

B, Never-the-less-

clear your browser cache and cookies (most admins have a 'for keeps' YaBB cookie),
restart the browser and then retry your operation.

If this is not successful -

Turn off compression in the Admin Center.  

Forum Configuration > Advanced > Advanced > Use Output Compression? (change to No Output Compression)

Clear the cache again, retry

Good Luck
Smiley
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2011 at 3:35pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2011 at 7:44pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 4th, 2011 at 3:34pm:
First -

A. occasionally YaBB will hiccup on a Back button action like that if the cookie has expired in the interim.

B, Never-the-less-

clear your browser cache and cookies (most admins have a 'for keeps' YaBB cookie),
restart the browser and then retry your operation.

Thanks.  I tried that, but now another error.  I restarted "Setup.pl" and attempted to continue the conversion.  A second after I choose "continue", I get this error:

An Error Has Occurred!

The CHMOD of the ./Boards are not set correct! Can't write this directory! Disk quota exceeded

I have rechecked and redone CHMOD on all files and folders involved, yet each time I try to continue, I get this error.  Odd that when the conversion failed earlier, it was only 22% through the MEMBERS conversion.  Why would it even be trying to work on BOARDS before MEMBERS is complete?

JonB wrote on May 4th, 2011 at 3:34pm:
If this is not successful -

Turn off compression in the Admin Center.  

Forum Configuration > Advanced > Advanced > Use Output Compression? (change to No Output Compression)

Clear the cache again, retry

Good Luck
Smiley

As I said earlier, once the original occurred, I was no longer able to access the Admin center or the forum itself.  Seems that only Setup is loading right now.

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2011 at 9:06pm
Post Tools
FYI,...I've also tried to restart the conversion with a different browser, but no-go.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2011 at 9:09pm by Plissken67 »  

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2011 at 10:04pm
Post Tools
Well, after spending probably 15 hours of line-by-line code reading, looking for an answer to this problem, I called my host company and found out they have a 20,000 file cap on my account.  Very odd.  I am using less than 1% of my allotted disc space, but they say they locked down my account due to the amount of files, which is over 100,000 presently while in the middle of the conversion.

Would have been great had they explained that I had such a limit when I created a new account with them, but they did not.  They only told me that there was a disc space limit.

So, on the phone with them now, and trying to avoid having to pay additional fees to allow a greater amount of files.  Hopefully they'll see my point that I shouldn't have to pay for a higher file allotment when my disc space allotment is less than 1%.

Thanks for the help, and sorry to bother you with a NON YaBB issue.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2011 at 12:45am
Post Tools
Well - Good Luck

I ran into the same problem just yesterday while helping someone, and was about to point out the 'root' problem - ":The CHMOD of the ./Boards are not set correct! Can't write this directory! Disk quota exceeded "  I'm a bit surprised they are holding your feet to the fire on file count (unless the plan is very very low cost or free), disk space is usually the issue.

A tough way to learn, here's hoping they can be reasonable

Good Luck
Smiley

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2011 at 12:48am by JonB »  

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2011 at 5:39am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 12:45am:
Well - Good Luck

I ran into the same problem just yesterday while helping someone, and was about to point out the 'root' problem - ":The CHMOD of the ./Boards are not set correct! Can't write this directory! Disk quota exceeded "  I'm a bit surprised they are holding your feet to the fire on file count (unless the plan is very very low cost or free), disk space is usually the issue.

A tough way to learn, here's hoping they can be reasonable

Good Luck
Smiley

Thanks, Jon.  I did convince my host to increase my file limits from 20,000 to 200,000, at no additional cost.  Paying $16.00/month, which is well above the really cheap hosts, from what I know.

Once they unlocked me and increased my file limit, I was able to complete the conversion!  Still need to install a few of Carsten's mods, and run maintenance on the new install, but I think I should be in good shape.  Knock on wood.

FYI,...excited to run 2.5, with expanded Spam controls.  For several reasons, over the past year, I had to turn over day-to-day operations of my forum to someone else who didn't actually keep an eye on things.  Well, during that time, I had about 7,000 spam-related accounts created, most from a handful of users or bots.  Combined, maybe about 15,000 posts.

So, all this means is now I will now have to go through all of these accounts to find the legit users from the spammers.  Won't be difficult to figure out which is which, but will be very time consuming.  Hopefully with the new controls of 2.5 in place, I can keep most of these fools off my boards and keep the forum running smoothly once I reopen it.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2011 at 9:41am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 12:45am:
I'm a bit surprised they are holding your feet to the fire on file count (unless the plan is very very low cost or free), disk space is usually the issue.

Not really - under *nix type filesystems commonly used by hosting providers, eg ufs, ext3 etc, with YaBB, inodes are more of an issue than disk space when you have thousands of small files.  My own YaBB has around 400,000 files (which is bad for *nix performance), but takes less than 1Gb of disk space.

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2011 at 10:36am
Post Tools
Hello again.

Seems I have at least one problem post-conversion which I can't seem to solve.

I ran all of the recommended maintenance controls on the forum after the conversion, but all of my boards still show ZERO posts and ZERO topics on the main forum page.

When I enter each board, all of the topics and posts seem to be there.  In fact, the values for REPLIES and VIEWS noted for each topic seem to be accurate.

Also, LAST POST info is also missing.  "N/A" is noted in place of all values that would normally be there.

Is there something else I need to do in order to restore all of this?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2011 at 11:11am
Post Tools
To follow up,...

I did a test post in one of the boards,...successful.  But it had no affect on any of the info being updated for that board,..topics, posts, etc.

Also noticed this on the index page:

The forum contains a total of 0 Posts within 0 Topics.
The most recent post is ().

Below that, when I selected the "View the x most recent posts", my test post was listed.

I then sent that post to the Recycle Bin,...successful.  But again, it did not update the info for that board,...topics, posts, etc.

I figure this must be an easy thing to fix, but I can't figure it out.  Must relate to the "forum.totals" in the BOARDS folder, no?

Again, any help appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2011 at 11:11am by Plissken67 »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:41pm
Post Tools
I just did a conversion for a 1.4 forum and found the same problem.

I got no board totals, no matter how you recount.

I'm going to say possible bug.

Angry

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:41pm:
I just did a conversion for a 1.4 forum and found the same problem.

I got no board totals, no matter how you recount.

I'm going to say possible bug.

Angry

Ughh.  Not what I wanted to hear.

I'm under the gun to get this working, and obviously can't run the board this way.  Although I've already put in a great deal of time into this, should I start over and upgrade 1.4 to a an earlier version,...2.x?,...and then upgrade that to 2.5?  If so, which version should I go to first?

Thanks.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - May 5th, 2011 at 6:39pm
Post Tools
I am testing something in the next couple hours, I will let you know

I have reported it as a possible bug

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - May 5th, 2011 at 6:47pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 6:39pm:

Thanks.

I'll be here waiting.

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2011 at 7:13pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 6:39pm:

Just noticed something else,...

Seems I can create new cats and new boards, but only 1 cat is visible on the forum index.  Have tried creating new ones, deleting, moving, etc,...none of it makes any difference.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools