Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Topic/Thread Move Notification post (Read 2,860 times)
Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Topic/Thread Move Notification post
May 6th, 2011 at 8:04am
Post Tools
Quote:
This Topic was moved here from Programming and other Technical Help by JonB.

Hey JonB, or anyone else.  Is there a way to temporarily disable or completely stop these posts from appearing when a post/thread is moved or deleted?  I have gone through the Admin area a dozen times, so if it's there, I must be blind.  I have also searched this forum, as well as BoardMod, and I don't get any results that help.

Thanks.

Modified Subject
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011 at 3:21pm by »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Topic/Thread Move Notification post
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2011 at 1:59am
Post Tools
Plissken67 wrote on May 6th, 2011 at 8:04am:
Is there a way to temporarily disable or completely stop these posts from appearing when a post/thread is moved or deleted?

On every Move there is a ability to allow or not post a redirection note, each is different with the way moved.
 A Post or thread deleted never leaves a notification post.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011 at 3:22pm by »  

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Upgrade from yabb 1.4 all the way to current?
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2011 at 3:27am
Post Tools
Quote:
Plissken67 wrote on May 6th, 2011 at 8:04am:
Is there a way to temporarily disable or completely stop these posts from appearing when a post/thread is moved or deleted?

On every Move there is a ability to allow or not post a redirection note, each is different with the way moved.
 A Post or thread deleted never leaves a notification post.

Correct about the delete,...I didn't mean to say that.

But I still have no idea of how to stop the redirection posts when I do move a post or thread.  Is there a setting in Admin, or am I simply missing a switch on the post?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Topic/Thread Move Notification post
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2011 at 3:25pm
Post Tools
On Move/Spilt/Splice
"Choose what to leave in place of the post, if anything."

On Move to
 there is a Check Box to right of drop down window "Add Move to info"

Note: Eliminating the Thread Move or Split Notification post should only be eliminated on Old inactive Posts or threads, If active users knowing the thread or Post exists in a certain board and without the redirect, they will have to hunt or assume it has been deleted.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011 at 3:30pm by »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2011 at 3:31pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from Upgrading Existing YaBB Installations [move by] Captain John.

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2011 at 5:58am
Post Tools
Quote:
On Move/Spilt/Splice
"Choose what to leave in place of the post, if anything."

On Move to
 there is a Check Box to right of drop down window "Add Move to info"

Note: Eliminating the Thread Move or Split Notification post should only be eliminated on Old inactive Posts or threads, If active users knowing the thread or Post exists in a certain board and without the redirect, they will have to hunt or assume it has been deleted.

Yes, thanks, got it now.

Still,...too bad that the redirections can't be controlled forum-wide, and be turned on/off from Admin, since the process you described is only efficient when moving one thread or post at a time.

Unfortunately, I have several thousand posts of SPAM in my forum that I can not delete all at once without first reading each one to be sure I am not deleting a proper post.  Also, I want to ban those IPs and email addresses, so I need a fair amount of time to process each one before final deletion.

So,...my only choice is to delete all the SPAM from every board and send them all to the recycle bin for now, and then check them out later when I have the time.  To keep better organized, I would have preferred to simply move them into several hidden temp boards, representing each board where they were initially posted, but I guess the recycle bin will have to do.  It now seems moving them in large blocks, as opposed to deleting them would only lead to more time wasted, having to delete all the redirection posts left behind by a "move".

Thanks again for the info!
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2011 at 6:01am by Plissken67 »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2011 at 2:30pm
Post Tools
Plissken67 wrote on May 9th, 2011 at 5:58am:
To keep better organized, I would have preferred to simply move them into several hidden temp boards,
 It now seems moving them in large blocks, as opposed to deleting them would only lead to more time wasted, having to delete all the redirection posts left behind by a "move".

That is exactly what we do here, Spam is moved in to a Staff Category, Spam Board.  Yes, we have to delete the Move Notifications, but they all move to the top of the particular board where moved from, so easy to just click the Admin Box delete check box and click on Delete Selected.
 Then I go into the Spam Board, go to profiles of users and Ban each, at my leisure.
   Note: Deleting single Post will not go into the Recycle- Bin.  Then you lose the ability to Ban User (if Not done before Deleting or remembering Displayname to go to).
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2011 at 2:32pm by »  

IP Logged

Plissken67
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2011 at 6:41pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Plissken67 wrote on May 9th, 2011 at 5:58am:
To keep better organized, I would have preferred to simply move them into several hidden temp boards,
 It now seems moving them in large blocks, as opposed to deleting them would only lead to more time wasted, having to delete all the redirection posts left behind by a "move".

That is exactly what we do here, Spam is moved in to a Staff Category, Spam Board.  Yes, we have to delete the Move Notifications, but they all move to the top of the particular board where moved from, so easy to just click the Admin Box delete check box and click on Delete Selected.
 Then I go into the Spam Board, go to profiles of users and Ban each, at my leisure.
  Note: Deleting single Post will not go into the Recycle- Bin.  Then you lose the ability to Ban User (if Not done before Deleting or remembering Displayname to go to).

Yes, figured that out.  Only just installed 2.5, so re-learning a few things.

But again, with SO much SPAM,...last check, think I'm well above 6,000 posts, 4,000 threads,...this whole process takes too much time.  Much easier to control if checking daily, but I had to turn over the day-to-day to someone else, and didn't bother to check up on his progress.  Oh well.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2011 at 12:51am
Post Tools
You must be an active Admin to control spam, but surely every week or 2, should keep under check, especially if using Captcha and other options to prevent spam registers.

Your Welcome and Good luck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top