Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Modify Button (Read 7,298 times)
Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Modify Button
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 3:18pm
Post Tools
I am grapping at straws ... making WAG, due to not having this problem on 3 different Y2.5 sites of mine.  And it seems not any other user of Y2.5 complaining of it here.
  Did you do the code edit for the template as I posted ?
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2011 at 3:21pm by »  

IP Logged

CorcyraGlobal
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 3:54pm
Post Tools
Hi Elrick,

Just a thought, there are two YaBB 2.5 distributions - the Full version and the Upgrade version.  The YaBB 2.5 Upgrade version only upgrades YaBB 2.3 or YaBB 2.4 installations.  The Full version is needed if the YaBB version is older e.g. YaBB 2.1 in your case.

However I am a comparative NewB myself, so I do not know the procedure for moving e.g from YaBB 2.1 to YaBB 2.5 to ensure that there was no forum data lost during the transition.

So I wonder Elrick what procedure you followed to move your forum software from 2.1 to 2.5?  I suspect that if you just moved the YaBB 2.5 "Upgrade" package files on top of a YaBB 2.1 installation, then some files assumed to be present in YaBB 2.3 were not found, and this may explain the anomalus behaviour.

Captain John of course would know better than me ... so forgive me if I have been at all unhelpful.

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 11:25am
Post Tools
Hi Captain John,

Indeed, a very puzzling event. Perhaps there are not many members here that upgraded from 2.1 to 2.5, hence no reported event as this one, which might be induced by the combination of 2.1-2.5 methinks.

Clearly a YaBB bug (or 'unintended feature' as there are a few of those in YaBB) resulting from the said combination - at least the discovery with the ex-member on the same page problem strongly suggests that.

I wonder whether there might be a workaround so that the presence of ex-member on a given page does not prevent the Modify/Delete buttons from being available on the posts. Alternatively one could modify the Profile.pl file so that members are denied the facility to delete their accounts, thereby creating more ex-members, by the removal of the “Delete User” button on their profile, yet being visible only to Admin. I am reluctant to implement the removal of the delete user button, depriving members from the facility but I think it might be the lesser evil, unless YaBB wizards have a better suggestions, which I think, eventually will be the case.

The code edit you suggested was dated July 2010 and the version I used in March 2011 already incorporated that code edit (I can see the file).

Hi CorcyGlobal.

Thank you for your very pertinent comments, as this could have been the case, but the upgrade from 2.1 was with Full version of 2.5 as the Upgrade package was not compatible for 2.1 – perhaps I should have upgraded first to 2.3, 2.4 and finally to 2.5. Nevertheless members like 2.5 even with its few snags. I am sure YaBB will eventually come up with a logical solution to this problem.  Many thanks for your contribution.

Persisting with the saga….

Elrick
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2011 at 11:29am by Elrick. »  

<div class=

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 1:01pm
Post Tools
OK

Hi, I think I have an explanation for you. Your last post pointed at the issue (and I had to debug weird thread on one of my forums yesterday that has some of the same kind of issues,)

Posts effectively have 'owners' - the poster that is the 'user'.  When YaBB generates a page refresh for that thread/topic and displays the post controls it has gone through a process -

Are you the owner?
Are you the Forum admin?
Are you a global moderator?
are you a member who has been appointed to moderate this board?
Are you a member of a group that can moderate this board?

YES! it really does all those tests for every refresh (index page generation!

Only the owner or and admin or moderator can modify or delete a post. 

Now, remember that YaBB has the time limit factor for members to delete or modify posts. When an ex-member post is part of the refresh, YaBB cannot determine the owner (or if the time limit has been reached or not), so it fails on the side of safety and does not allow the post of be modified or deleted.

I have not looked at that specific code, but I do know the logic.

OTAY???

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 2:55pm
Post Tools
Elrick. wrote on Jun 18th, 2011 at 11:25am:
The code edit you suggested was dated July 2010 and the version I used in March 2011 already incorporated that code edit

Oh?  You downloaded files from the CVS, not the released version ?  Y2.5AE was released (as downloaded form the Download page), "Then" a modification of the template was made and uploaded to CVS, but NOT updated in the Release package as most bugs found immediately or after the release package was made.

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #20 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 3:00pm
Post Tools
Brilliant, JonB!!

Very many thanks JonB for your elucidation on the possible causes. It does make sense, it is logical and the explanation goes a long way into shedding insights as to why YaBB reacts in this fashion when encountering the mentioned events on a given thread/topic page. OTAY!!!.

Naturally, the kernel of your explanation poses as well inevitable questions, namely: a) why does not happens on other 2.5 installations (not being upgraded from 2.1 to 2.5) as Captain John states about his forums, -  b) or on my previous version 2.1.  Surely, many 2.4 or 2.5 forum owners would have some ex-members in their forums and the issue does not seem to arise!!.

I wish I could use the synergy you bring to this problem by testing (recreating the event) on another 2.5 forum by way of creating a new account (test user), then posting a few posts as a new user. Subsequently the said new user deleting his account via the “Delete User” button on his profile thereby becoming an ex-member, and, then admin creating a second test account with another new user to access that thread where the first test user posted (now an ex-member) and posting a reply to that ex-member’s thread/topic.  If that newly created second new user’s post do not have the Modify/Delete buttons available on his reply post (due to the reasons you so eloquently outline) then you would have discovered new behavioural-pattern of Yabb (or 'unintended feature'). I also wonder whether any member here would be kind enough to run the described test on their forum so as to establish whether this is a 2.5 behaviour given the described events or just a fiat of the upgrade from 2.1 to 2.5.  It would be great to ascertain this!!!. Then one can look for possible solutions……

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein

….and I am thinking YaBB, YaBB, YaBB…….

<div class=

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #21 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 7:27pm
Post Tools
Actually. all you would have to do is to go the next step and read/interpret the code related to page building in the version you are running.

Wink

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #22 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 8:25pm
Post Tools
Ah!! You got me here JonB.!!!

I do not possess the faintest glimmer of what the meaning of  “code related to page building” is,
What it is, where it is, how to access it, what to read, what it means or what/how to interpret.
Your post struck a cord, the reverberations of which are utterly unintelligible to me.

The algorithm you used here, I am afraid, is beyond my depths.

I keep ploughing towards further ideas in this saga!! But I am grateful for your chiming in to this problem.

<div class=

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 2:22am
Post Tools
Well, Elrick of the well-oiled words. its really quite possible that you are the first that has noticed this particular issue.

Much like my 'weird thread' referred to, these things escape the notice of most. As it happens, I have two very bright and tenacious Global Moderators who will not allow anything to 'just pass'.  So one of them wishes me to restore Humpty-Dumpty to his perch. (we have a broken thread).

I posted a YouTube video of the Beatles' "Let It Be"...

Wink

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 19th, 2011 at 2:22am:
Well, Elrick of the well-oiled words. its really quite possible that you are the first that has noticed this particular issue.

Much like my 'weird thread' referred to, these things escape the notice of most. As it happens, I have two very bright and tenacious Global Moderators who will not allow anything to 'just pass'.  So one of them wishes me to restore Humpty-Dumpty to his perch. (we have a broken thread).

I posted a YouTube video of the Beatles' "Let It Be"...

Wink

Well Jon, I did "let it be".... until now that some members asked to delete their account (had to remove the option to delete their accounts to prevent the problem (bug) to reoccur and deprive members from modifiying/deleting their posts. So, now how do I delete their account and at the same time avoid the ex-member appearance on the last page of a thread that will prevent the modify buttom from appearing in their posts???. That's the $84 question!!. any Ideas folks????.

Many thansk for your continued support.

<div class=

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:14am
Post Tools
Elrick. wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 8:15pm:
So, now how do I delete their account and at the same time avoid the ex-member appearance on the last page of a thread that will prevent the modify buttom from appearing in their posts???.

Question .. Why "after" a Member's Profile is deleted, would the same user want to Modify their posts ?  Only the user, GMod and the Admin can edit (modify) posts, If user deletes Profile, they no longer wish to be a member of the forum.

If as Admin wants to delete a user, why would you want to delete posts from this user, if when posts were made, no modification was needed then ?
 There is a script available to clean posts from a user who has been banned and has made multiple posts. Specifically a heavy Spam remover.

See http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1310129824

Request: Would you attach the Display.Template from the default templates you are using.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:45am by »  

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:20pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Elrick. wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 8:15pm:
So, now how do I delete their account and at the same time avoid the ex-member appearance on the last page of a thread that will prevent the modify buttom from appearing in their posts???.

Question .. Why "after" a Member's Profile is deleted, would the same user want to Modify their posts ?  Only the user, GMod and the Admin can edit (modify) posts, If user deletes Profile, they no longer wish to be a member of the forum.

If as Admin wants to delete a user, why would you want to delete posts from this user, if when posts were made, no modification was needed then ?
 There is a script available to clean posts from a user who has been banned and has made multiple posts. Specifically a heavy Spam remover.

See http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1310129824

Hi Captain John,

Very many thanks for your prompt response. The ongoing issue at hand is not related to your statements above. Those are not the issues.

As explained on this thread, the core problem is an inherent bug on 2.5 whereby if an existing member delete their account then they become ex-members and when there is present a post with an ex-member on the last page of a given thread then the modify/delete buttons are not available to ANY member's posts on that last page, so they cannot modify or delete their posts within the time-limit or otherwise as the referred buttons are not available.

As a result, and in the interim, I had to remove the option for members to delete their accounts as this causes problems for ALL members when they try to modify or delete their postss if an ex-member's post is present.

But now some members who wish to cancel their membership they request I delete their account and this will again cause problems To ALL members.

As there seems to be no YaBB solution to this bug (or unintended "feature") I can only hope there is a way to remove certain files via the C-Panel to remove those accounts members want to delete without this strange event taking place!.

Thanks again for your support.

<div class=

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 7:41pm
Post Tools
Elrick. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:20pm:
when there is present a post with an ex-member on the last page of a given thread then the modify/delete buttons are not available to ANY member's posts on that last page

aaaaahhhhhh now understand ...

Elrick. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:20pm:
I can only hope there is a way to remove certain files via the C-Panel to remove those accounts members want to delete without this strange event taking place!.

mmm The Posts are referenced in so many different places, simply deleting from CPanel or by FTP is not practical.

But the MOD referenced above ... "might" be of use ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top