Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Delivery of Activation Email Fails (Read 784 times)
magneticblue
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Delivery of Activation Email Fails
Jun 21st, 2011 at 6:22pm
Post Tools
Hello,

I have YaBB 2.3.1 installed. I require any user to register and send an activation email and I prefer YaBB SMTP Engine...

YaBB reports that activation email sent succesfully, sometimes it delivers the emails but most of the time it fails without any errors and no email delivery. It's like emails are completely lost.

How can I track them? Where should I look for the lost emails?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Re: Delivery of Activation Email Fails
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 2:13am
Post Tools
magneticblue wrote on Jun 21st, 2011 at 6:22pm:
I prefer YaBB SMTP Engine...

The YaBB mail system "must" be setup as to the mail system supported on the server mail system.  On Linux/Unix that usually is sendmail,on window servers it is usually SMTP, but must match what the Host sets up for their servers.

Usually emails not being found is caused by the members mail box system.  Particularly free email sites "junk" any email that contains an URL.  Yahoo & Gmail have a default option for email received that is junk, be automatically deleted.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Delivery of Activation Email Fails
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
Hi

Two thoughts -

Depending on your host, the type of plan (setup) you are on, and a lot of 'other stuff'; you might be be able to get a mailserver log.   the mailserver log can tell you if they made it to the inbound mailserver for the particular account, but not if it made it to the inbox. It can also tell you all the failed deliveries and sometimes the cause for the failure.

Cap'n John made a good point about Yahoo & Gmail. They both use elaborate analysis to try to weed out the spam, and you can get caught in that.  Both actually default to delivering spam to 'bulk mail' folders that are periodically emptied based on another formula.  You have to configure Yahoo and Gmail to deliver the Bulk Mail to a client like Outlook or Thunderbird.   Its also relevant if the mailserver reflects the domain name, and the 'from' address. Meaning - an e-mail dispatched on a 'named' mailserver with the from name being on the same domain gets a higher score.

So a mail from 'joe@blow.com' by way of SMTP.blow.com is more likely to be delivered than the same mail from 'joe@blow.com by way of smtp.reallycheaphost.com.

The best advice is to include a message about "check your SPAM folder if you have not received our e-mail in X hours"  I said 'X hours' because many hosting companies batch dispatch e-mails or use a deferral proxy -- it makes their bandwidth cheaper.  You would need to test this stuff. If its for your business, it could make a lot of difference.  Not so much if its a personal interest thing and they will mail you wanting to know what happened.

Good Luck
Cool

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:23pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top