Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Unable to open ./Paths.pl: Permission denied (Read 2,642 times)
supertanno
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Unable to open ./Paths.pl: Permission denied
Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 6:57pm
Post Tools
Though I have considered Webmin before, there is a problem due to the fact that the VPS is free, and thus it only has 128 mb dedicated RAM.

As for the FTP thingy, the FTP user is root - just like the SSH user. Password is the same, too.

I'll do some permission work again - hopefully there won't be any issues now.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
Well - LOL - a merry mess we have here  Wink

I'm unsure what is wrong, but the owner of Paths.pl probably should be the FTP user account (which could be a group).  It almost certainly should not be root. Making a known file '777' is inviting a security problem - Particularly so if the owner is 'root'  Read the link below (anyone can stuff the file now AND can execute it)

As for why that solution works no and didn't before, it probably also entangled in the ownership  issue. It probably didn't work initially as the FTP user wasn't the owner, nor a member of a group that had rights to the file.

As its an unmanaged VPS, its virtually impossible to say what state the server was in when it was provisioned (it was in the state the systems engineer that built/set up the script said it was).  When a VPS is provisioned using a provisioning system, its main parameters (where things are and who they belong to) are generally known - kinda like how phpMyAdmin always has the control user - pmauser.  BTW - most of the core of all control panels written for *nix servers is Perl.  The 'outsides' are often PHP, but the guts are largely Perl.

Important - Although this is about WordPress, it apples equally to YaBB, and explains it in way better detail than I could:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

I had an unmanaged VPS for a while, and switched to a managed one as it was too 'unmanageable' (and I am fairly knowledgeable).  I had to keep adding stuff (and learning those extra tools). I also have other people's sites and public forms on there, and I had to give that aspect due consideration.

There is ONE indispensable tool for unmanaged servers - its a FREE control panel essentially - I put it on my two managed VPS's when I got them - Webmin!  It does everything a Control Panel does +++ MySQL administration and backup.  I think it could make your life a lot easier.

http://www.webmin.com/index.html

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2011 at 4:24pm by JonB »  

webmin.png ( 41 KB | 106 Downloads )
webmin.png

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

supertanno
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 11:17am
Post Tools
Nevermind, I have managed to somehow get rid of the problem by - again - changing the permissions of Paths.pl to 777 (something that didn't work at first). Thanks anyway though!

IP Logged

supertanno
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 11:03am
Post Tools
Quote:
supertanno wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 8:34pm:
Edited:
I solved this one when removing the following lines from Setup.pl:

Code (Perl)
Select All
fopen(COOKFILE, ">$vardir/cook.txt") || &setup_fatal_error("$maintext_23 $vardir/cook.txt: ", 1);
      print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_user
";[/edit]
      print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_pass
";
      print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_sess
";
      fclose(COOKFILE); 

Now there is a fix, we would have never thought of Jonb.  If the program doesn't find the file it is looking for, simply remove the lines from the program that looks for the file !   Cool Wink Grin Grin Grin   Cry Cry Cry Undecided

...Is that meant satirely or..? Not that I really care, just wondering (no, really, I couldn't care less).

Anyway, I read somewhere on this forum cook.txt wasn't needed for the setup or YaBB itself to run, so I figured I could as well delete it Wink.

The Paths.pl problem is still there though, so if anyone knows a fix, do let me know!
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2011 at 11:06am by supertanno »  

IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 6:39am
Post Tools
supertanno wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 8:34pm:
Edited:
I solved this one when removing the following lines from Setup.pl:

Code (Perl)
Select All
fopen(COOKFILE, ">$vardir/cook.txt") || &setup_fatal_error("$maintext_23 $vardir/cook.txt: ", 1);
	print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_user\n";[/edit]
	print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_pass\n";
	print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_sess\n";
	fclose(COOKFILE); 

Now there is a fix, we would have never thought of Jonb.  If the program doesn't find the file it is looking for, simply remove the lines from the program that looks for the file !   Cool Wink Grin Grin Grin   Cry Cry Cry Undecided
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2011 at 6:43am by »  

IP Logged

supertanno
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Post Tools
Alright, new problem: it now all of a sudden gives the cook.txt error again. I checked the permissions of the variables foder, changed it back to 755, then changed back to 777, error still there :S. Help?
Edited:
EDIT: I solved this one when removing the following lines from Setup.pl:

Code (Perl)
Select All
	print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_user\n";[/edit]
	print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_pass\n";
	print COOKFILE "$rand_cook_sess\n";
	fclose(COOKFILE); 

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2011 at 8:45pm by supertanno »  

IP Logged

supertanno
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 8:07pm
Post Tools
Is your VPS managed or unmanaged?

It's unmanaged, I do everything myself

Does your VPS come with a Control Panel?  If so, is it Cpanel or Plesk -- or something else (Host's own homebrew, Direct Admin, webmin, etc. )???

No, nothing at all.

Did you use a Control Panel or FTP to upload the files??

FTP

Lastly, does your Control Panel offer a 'root' shell connection or, do you know how to make that kind of connection with an SSH tool like tunnelier?  (SFTP + shell access).

I have shell access (PuTTY) and thus also SFTP. I have root access.

FTP cannot change the file owerships permissions, so if the FTP user is not the owner or a member of a controlling Unix group, any achnges will be irrelevant.

I changed ownership in the shell, checked it with FileZilla, the ownership was set to 'html' with the user set to 'root'. I couldn't figure out how to change the user to 'html', so I figured changing the ownership was enough. I've changed it all back to 'root' now.

Having said that -- and forgetting CHMOD -- what does FTP or our control panel report the permissions on Paths.pl to be at this moment???  DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE, just get the reported info.

At this moment, the permissions are set to 755 (-rwrx-xr-x).

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 1:36am
Post Tools
a few questions

Is your VPS managed or unmanaged?

Does your VPS come with a Control Panel?  If so, is it Cpanel or Plesk -- or something else (Host's own homebrew, Direct Admin, webmin, etc. )???

Did you use a Control Panel or FTP to upload the files??

Lastly, does your Control Panel offer a 'root' shell connection or, do you know how to make that kind of connection with an SSH tool like tunnelier?  (SFTP + shell access).

My  -off-the-top-of-my-head- guess is this is a user or group file ownership issue.

The way to find out is to be able to see the ownership of the file(s)

http://www.perlfect.com/articles/chmod.shtml

FTP cannot change the file owerships permissions, so if the FTP user is not the owner or a member of a controlling Unix group, any achnges will be irrelevant.

Having said that -- and forgetting CHMOD -- what does FTP or our control panel report the permissions on Paths.pl to be at this moment???  DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE, just get the reported info.

Good Luck

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

supertanno
YaBB Newcomer

Unable to open ./Paths.pl: Permission denied
Jun 24th, 2011 at 4:00pm
Post Tools
Alright, I had some problems while performing a clean install of YaBB 2.5 AE on my VPS, first with cook.txt (fixed with http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1299560222), HOWEVER...

After I autofill the form (and I checked every field) and save the changes, I get the following message:

Quote:
An Error Has Occurred!

Unable to open ./Paths.pl: Permission denied

I tried setting the permissions of Paths.pl to 777, but it didn't help.

I also tried setting the owner of all directories to html as mentioned in the codex: http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1235236210. That didn't help either.

What should I do?
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2011 at 5:35pm by supertanno »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top