Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Has anyone had success moving AWAY from YaBB (Read 2,357 times)
The Boy

Has anyone had success moving AWAY from YaBB
Jul 25th, 2011 at 6:43pm
Post Tools
Not sure where this should go, as its not a YaBB support query, so put in chat area.

Has anyone had any success migrating away from YaBB 2.5AE? If so, where to?  I'm struggling to find a converter that properly migrates my large forum without losing fair amounts of data.

Still trying to decide if/what the end will be, possibly SMF, but need a way out of YaBB first, even if I have to go through multiple conversion steps

IP Logged

genghis

Re: Has anyone had success moving AWAY from YaBB
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:37am
Post Tools
I had 2 YaBB forums. Members of one of the forums decided to go to IPBoard since it had some features that they wanted and I didn't think there would be mods for anytime soon. At the time we had about 300,000 messages and I didn't want to lose them. So I set up a functioning YaBB 2.1 board, transferred messages and members and boards to it from the 2.5 YaBB, converted the 2.1 YaBB to an SMF  forum, and then converted that to IPBoard.  

I still have one YaBB board, and at times I prefer it over the IPBoard.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:38am by genghis »  

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 6:20pm
Post Tools
I like YaBB, but I don't believed it will be developed further, and I think I'm hitting the limits of its scalability.  Search aside (which is unsable on my site), speed is impressive to.

I keep trying older YaBBs to migrate away, but nothing seems to do a decent import - SMF1, unsurprisingly, is the one that does the best job, but definately still loses posts, and parts of many, many posts.

IP Logged

genghis

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:22pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 6:20pm:
I like YaBB, but I don't believed it will be developed further, and I think I'm hitting the limits of its scalability.  Search aside (which is unsable on my site), speed is impressive to.

I keep trying older YaBBs to migrate away, but nothing seems to do a decent import - SMF1, unsurprisingly, is the one that does the best job, but definately still loses posts, and parts of many, many posts.

I'm surprised to hear that - I didn't lose any posts.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Post Tools
I run all the YaBB maintence controls over it first, which hopefully does away with any corruption etc.

Seems quotes within quotes that are worse affected, but thats not scientific...

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 9:12pm
Post Tools
Just to add closure to this thread, my old YaBB site was successfully migrated to SMF2 about 6 weeks ago Smiley

Speed is an immediate benefit, its on average 3 times faster than YaBB, according to Google's Webmaster tools.  Obviously, as my site is run for virtually nothing, we can't throw big servers at it, so other site's mileage may vary.

There is a lot to like about YaBB, but lack of development, and poor scalability, given the resources I can give it, means I couldn't use it any longer  Cry

IP Logged

db
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2011 at 9:50am
Post Tools
For me that would be a sad decision  Cry Hope that YaBB team'll make smth new and great in the nearest future. We got rather good server but improvements in speed and scalability would be very nice - that's for sure.

For exmpl some social services intergration, various captcha modes and so on.

I use YaBB on Institute of Business and Law (Russia) web site: http://www.ibl.ru (Институт бизнеса и права, Санкт-Петербург)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top