Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New members, email default notification (Read 5,218 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: New members, email default notification
Reply #27 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:07pm
Post Tools
Thanks Derek; much appreciated!

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Post Tools
He he! No need to apologize. Going off topic doesn't bother me in the slightest - you don't have conversations in the real world which don't go off in different directions, and being overzealous about keeping things on topic will always run the risk of missing out on worthwhile discussions.

I always think it's pretty impossible to stay totally on topic - unless you're a robot, of cause. Smiley

I only suggested posting in the Praise and Feedback board because it's more likely to get a response there. I wasn't trying to 'moderate' - that's not my style, or why I'm here. Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:38pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:06pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 3:48pm:
Hehe - We was going off on a bit of a tangent then, eh? Smiley

We were? Oops! Six degrees of separation I guess. Roll Eyes

For my part in it, my apologies. At least now the posting bug is here in an appropriate topicWink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #24 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 3:48pm
Post Tools
You're very welcome.

Just to add.. regarding post #6, if you also want it to work for adding members from the Admin Center, then in Admin/Admin.pl find:

Code (Perl)
Select All
    ${$uid.$reguser}{'pageindex'}     = qq~1|1|1~; 

And add after:

Code (Perl)
Select All
    ${$uid.$reguser}{'notify_me'}     = 3; 

globetrotting wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:54am:
Sorry to interrupt the OT

Hehe - We was going off on a bit of a tangent then, eh? Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 3:52pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

globetrotting
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #23 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:54am
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 4:58pm:
In Sources/Post.pl find:

Code (Perl)
Select All
        my $notify = ""; 

And replace with:

Code (Perl)
Select All
        my $notify = qq~ checked="checked"~; 

Yep that's it, works like a charm, I'm very grateful!
(Sorry to interrupt the OT Wink )

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:13am
Post Tools
Derek, I didn't check the time of your postings. I just presumed that the bug you mentioned is real. I simply wanted to point out the apparent default time lock in addition to the reported bug.

I didn't have qualms about the time lock because I have a work-around for it. But now that you mentioned it, I took your advice to post my concerns here in Praise and Feedback just in case it matters. Thanks.

Regarding the expiration of domains, it's not particularly uncommon for domains to inadvertently expire. However, I would agree that Carsten most likely made a conscious choice to shutter his domain.

On the other hand, to shutter a domain that features one's name seems like it would be an unusual thing to do. I hope everything's okay with him.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #21 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 1:23am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 12:45am:
Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not so sure this is the case; at least not with us regular members. If or when Corey gets around to reading our posts about this, maybe he can tell us for sure.

In my case at least, I can modify my own posts if they're not older than 2 days. After that, my own posts are locked.

If you check the time of my postings out, you'll see that it had only been 2 minutes since I made the post which I couldn't modify, so "in my case" it was most definitely the bug which I mentioned.

"In your case", if you have qualms with the time limit to modify posts, then you'd probably be best off bringing it up in the Praise and Feedback board where it's more likely to get noticed. JonB is an Administrator too now, so he can also change that setting. Smiley

Bill Myers wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 12:45am:
He may have let his domain go, but it's still active; it just isn't registered at this time. Sigh; same difference.

Carsten's an intelligent guy who wouldn't make an uncalculated decision. I think it's pretty obvious what's happened. Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 1:47am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #20 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 12:45am
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:18pm:
In my case, it's actually a bug - I'd forgotten about it until just now. If there is a post by an ex-member then it stops the ability to modify/delete posts:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1315657207

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not so sure this is the case; at least not with us regular members. If or when Corey gets around to reading our posts about this, maybe he can tell us for sure.

In my case at least, I can modify my own posts if they're not older than 2 days. After that, my own posts are locked. Then again, maybe that's the bug.  Roll Eyes

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:40pm:
Sadly, I can only assume that Carsten's site will be permanently down. If you do a whois on his domain name you'll see that it expired at the end of february.

He was talking about finishing it last year, so I think he must have gone through with it this time.  Sad

He may have let his domain go, but it's still active; it just isn't registered at this time. Sigh; same difference.

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 12:47am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 9:36pm
Post Tools
Most of them were only available to download from his own site. He isn't the sort of person to leave people stuck though, so he'll maybe upload them to BM at some point.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 9:11pm
Post Tools
Bummer. Does any know one if all the mods are over in boardmod? If not, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Post Tools
Sadly, I can only assume that Carsten's site will be permanently down. If you do a whois on his domain name you'll see that it expired at the end of february.

He was talking about finishing it last year, so I think he must have gone through with it this time. Sad
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2012 at 8:54pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #16 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:25pm
Post Tools
Unfortunately, Carsten's site with the bug fix is still down.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #15 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:18pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 6:49pm:
Derek, I don't know why Corey has the setting like this, but this forum evidently locks posts after 2 days, so we're not able to edit our own posts after that. Hence, my signature file.

I personally find locking us out of our own posts to be pretty irritating because I'm unable to correct mistakes I've made. That can be an unnecessary disservice for webmasters seeking help.

This setting makes no sense at all.  Roll Eyes

Especially because this is a support forum for YaBB, it makes no sense to lock posts that can include bad information that needs updating.

Hint, hint: Maybe Corey will change this for us at some point.  Wink

In my case, it's actually a bug - I'd forgotten about it until just now. If there is a post by an ex-member then it stops the ability to modify/delete posts:

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:19pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
Derek, I don't know why Corey has the setting like this, but this forum evidently locks posts after 2 days, so we're not able to edit our own posts after that. Hence, my signature file.

I personally find locking us out of our own posts to be pretty irritating because I'm unable to correct mistakes I've made. That can be an unnecessary disservice for webmasters seeking help.

This setting makes no sense at all.  Roll Eyes

Especially because this is a support forum for YaBB, it makes no sense to lock posts that can include bad information that needs updating.

Hint, hint: Maybe Corey will change this for us at some point.  Wink

Edited:
Another possibility ...

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:18pm:

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 12:53am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 5:00pm
Post Tools
I can't modify my post for some reason. I meant 'replace', not 're[lace'. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top