YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Pages: 1 2 
Topic Tools

New members, email default notification (Read 4,416 times)
 Aug 8th, 2011 at 3:31pm
There are no actions to perform.  

Huggy - helihulk 
YaBB Newbie

YaBB 2.5
New members, email default notification
Hope someone can help.

I am running YaBB 2.5ae, and when a new member signs up, the email notification in their options gor both PMs and Topic replies is set as default to 'No'.  This means that even if thru tick to receive replies they dont get them unless they go in and change to option.

How can I make these default as 'Yes' for new users when they register?

IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 3:59pm
Captain John 
Ex Member

None
Re: New members, email default notification
You can't ... Unsolicited Email is Spam !  That is why YaBB was designed to require the user/member to manually enable email notification, IF they desire it.

See YaBB Codex > http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1265743599

IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 10:12am

globetrotting 
YaBB Newbie

None
Hello,

Huggy - helihulk wrote on Aug 8th, 2011 at 3:31pm:
... when a new member signs up, the email notification in their options gor both PMs and Topic replies is set as default to 'No'.  This means that even if thru tick to receive replies they dont get them unless they go in and change to option.

How can I make these default as 'Yes' for new users when they register?

Especially for new members changing this odd default behavior is a very complicated procedure and it basically kills an effective flow of info right from their start.  It seems to me to be one of the main reasons, why member activities in YABB boards cannot thrive compared to more flexible board software and / or support that actually gives useful answers to the questions being asked.

The spam argument is not valid once the automatic notification is part of the registration terms. Our board members would be grateful for this default setting - and switching message notification off is easier than to switch it on.

I'd be very grateful for a helping answer to Huggy's question as well.

Thank you Smiley

IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 5:03pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
I think that Captain John was right about this, but there are obviously opposing opinions about automatically sending email to members. For me, simply put with few exceptions, sending unsolicited messages to members is spam.

Certainly, if you choose an opt-out model rather than an opt-in model so that members can enjoy the less intrusive choice, the proper thing to do is to state this in your registration agreement. Additionally, your site's privacy policy statement should reflect this as well.

To be perfectly frank, I'd love to change the settings so that members get notified whenever new messages are posted, etc. After all, this can potentially be a great marketing tool to make your forum more active. But again, IMHO this is very intrusive, and automated/spam messages can have the opposite effect.

I think people in general prefer an opt-in policy rather than an opt-out policy.

On a related note, I'm very pleased that the default setting for email addresses in our own forum was set by YaBB to be hidden from the public. In other words, members can opt-in to make their email address public versus having to opt-out simply because I've made that choice for them.

The same can be said for the option of whether or not a member's IP address is hidden from the public. I see this as a privacy issue, which is why our forum continues to keep IP addresses hidden from view.

Generally speaking, especially because of the socially sensitive subject matter in our forum, and throughout our site, privacy and anonymity is particularly important with members who are part of our community.

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2012 at 5:08pm by Bill Myers »  
Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:29am

globetrotting 
YaBB Newbie

None
Thank you Bill for your philosophical views which unfortunately do not answer the specific subject here which is what to change in the code in order to achieve an automatic reply / PM notification as default for newly registered members.

I personally am not interested in making the IP or email address public, but in a default notification of posters in case an answer has been posted in their topic.
Reason being that our board doesn't deal with small talk but with questions for information which in most cases can't be answered by anybody and immediately, so it usually takes some time until an answer arrives.
Newbies usually do not understand what needs to be done to be notified of a reply, so they will check for a response in the first days, then forget to re-check and ultimately miss when a reply is finally posted. Until they occasionally realise that their question has received a first answer, again it will take time until their response will be noticed and answered to.
This is downright counterproductive to a prompt exchange of information.  

As people do post their questions in different fora, the forum with the better notification system wins. YaBB the way it works now is not the early bird which catches these worms and if valid requests for amelioration like Huggy's and mine are being stalled or ignored, this is not going to change, I'm afraid. Sad

So could someone please indicate which changes to the code are necessary to make notification of topic replies the default behavior?

Thanks again Smiley  

IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 7:54am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
I suspect that YaBB's default settings for notifications can be changed, so I'm guessing someone here will be able to explain how to change this for you.

In otherwise general terms ...

I understand the point being made about wanting an opt-out versus an opt-in setting when it comes to notifications. There are reasonable justifications for it; think Facebook.

I personally think it's unwise to have an opt-out policy versus one that's opt-in. As such, I'm proud, glad, and happy that YaBB has the default settings it has regarding notifications.

But obviously, admins will do what they want in their own forums.

For others who may be considering an opt-out policy versus opt-in: I hope you'll consider the possible ramifications. Violations of terms of use, etc.

Another option to consider: Publish a well placed public notification of your own to educate people about their ability to receive the kind of notifications they may choose to activate. Maybe it can be part of your forum's news feed.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2012 at 7:54am by Bill Myers »  
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 1:16am

Derek Barnstorm 
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers
United Kingdom

YaBB 2.5
If you just mean that you want 'Notify me of new Notifications by eMail?' and 'Notify me of new PMs by eMail' set to 'Yes' by default in the User CP, then all you need to do is edit Register.pl:

Find:

Code (Perl)Select All
    ${$uid.$reguser}{'pageindex'} = qq~1|1|1|1~; 

And add after:

Code (Perl)Select All
    ${$uid.$reguser}{'notify_me'} = 3; 

It will obviously only work for future members though, not those who are already registered.

IP Logged  
 Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 4:47am

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Derek, has anyone told you recently (besides your mother?) how brilliant you are? Grin

IP Logged  
 Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:07am

Derek Barnstorm 
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers
United Kingdom

YaBB 2.5
He he! Nope. Not even my Mother. Cry

IP Logged  
 Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 11:40am

globetrotting 
YaBB Newbie

None
Well, I hereby do it - and sincerely mean it!
Thanks a lot for your help Derek, I truely appreciate your effort.

This will boost the speed of information flow on my board - and will be very welcomed by its members.

Thanks again!

IP Logged  
 Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 4:31pm

Derek Barnstorm 
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers
United Kingdom

YaBB 2.5
No problem. Smiley

IP Logged  
 Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 7:48pm

globetrotting 
YaBB Newbie

None
Sorry, me again.
After checking I noticed that my main issue, which is to have the topic reply function checked by default is not realised by the mentioned modification.
Could you please be so kind and tell me how to change the code so that the checkbox
"Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic."
below the Post Reply window is pre-checked and working by default?
This would be the most important change in order to make the board's flow of information safer and faster.

Thanks again  Cool

IP Logged  
 Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 4:58pm

Derek Barnstorm 
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers
United Kingdom

YaBB 2.5
In Sources/Post.pl find:

Code (Perl)Select All
        my $notify = ""; 

And re[lace with:

Code (Perl)Select All
        my $notify = qq~ checked="checked"~; 

IP Logged  
 Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 5:00pm

Derek Barnstorm 
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers
United Kingdom

YaBB 2.5
I can't modify my post for some reason. I meant 'replace', not 're[lace'. Roll Eyes

IP Logged  
 Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 6:49pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Derek, I don't know why Corey has the setting like this, but this forum evidently locks posts after 2 days, so we're not able to edit our own posts after that. Hence, my signature file.

I personally find locking us out of our own posts to be pretty irritating because I'm unable to correct mistakes I've made. That can be an unnecessary disservice for webmasters seeking help.

This setting makes no sense at all.  Roll Eyes

Especially because this is a support forum for YaBB, it makes no sense to lock posts that can include bad information that needs updating.

Hint, hint: Maybe Corey will change this for us at some point.  Wink

Edited:
Another possibility ...

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:18pm:
In my case, it's actually a bug - I'd forgotten about it until just now. If there is a post by an ex-member then it stops the ability to modify/delete posts:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1315657207

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 12:53am by Bill Myers »  
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
Pages: 1 2 
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.