Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Search Engines (Read 5,456 times)
sachin
YaBB Newcomer

Search Engines
Aug 20th, 2011 at 10:36pm
Post Tools
Hello YaBB, As you know i newly created site: www.indiancarz.com and have lots of issues... I must say for your every help till now. At present, dont know why in my site cant show any Search Engines. This is happens from last 2 to 3 days... Now i dont know i change some settings from admin panel or what? Please help me...

IP Logged

tonyvic

None
Re: Search Engines
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 5:15am
Post Tools
Hi,
MSN Search was crawling your site at 05.10 GMT today!

IP Logged

tonyvic

None
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 5:15am
Post Tools
Ooops, forgot screenshot. Embarrassed

searche.PNG ( 33 KB | 102 Downloads )
searche.PNG
IP Logged

Captain John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 6:46am
Post Tools
@ sachin Search engines do NOT search everyday or more than once a day.  And of course depends on the activity on your site ..

IP Logged

sachin
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 1:45am
Post Tools
Thanks for your help... Actually i made 1 mistake... Actually by mistake i done some changes in robots.txt file. Now i clear that.. Anyway, Thanx for replying....

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:20am
Post Tools
sachin wrote on Aug 20th, 2011 at 10:36pm:
Hello YaBB, As you know i newly created site: www.indiancarz.com and have lots of issues... I must say for your every help till now. At present, dont know why in my site cant show any Search Engines. This is happens from last 2 to 3 days... Now i dont know i change some settings from admin panel or what? Please help me...

Whether you changed settings or not (and looks like you did and fixed it on the later posts), it takes days for search engines to put your site on a search engine. And unless you type in your exact site on the search text box, you will never be number one on a general search.

In general searches, the top 10 listings are paid listings, with Number 1 costing 6 - 7 digits a month to be there.

What ever position you end up getting, is the position you are likely to stay in, a SEO might get you up a few slots but not within the top 10 of an general search because those are paid positions.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 11:25pm
Post Tools
Elfen wrote on Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:20am:
... unless you type in your exact site on the search text box, you will never be number one on a general search.

In general searches, the top 10 listings are paid listings, with Number 1 costing 6 - 7 digits a month to be there.

That's not true at all. One of our most active sites happens to have a No. 2 listing on Google (out of about 9,790,000 results). The No. 1 listing with our chosen search string that perfectly describes our site is a Wikipedia entry. Since 1997 we've pretty much always been in the top 10 on both Google and Yahoo. Ours is an unpaid listing, and so is the Wikipedia listing.

Our chat forum has a No. 3 listing on Google.

In any case, whatever your site endeavors to be, if you're true to what it's supposed to be, search engines will pick up on your site. It's not rocket science.

Meanwhile, until your site picks up its popularity, but only if it's deserved of course, exchange links with the most popular sites in your category. If an exchange isn't possible, then link those sites anyway, and eventually your traffic will grow exponentially.

By the way, don't be fooled by anyone who promises you a top 10 listing on Google. Think about it. Even if a company can do this for you, this can only happen with 10 sites. Duh!

So don't sweat your place on Google. If you build it, and you're true to what your site's supposed to be, people will come to it eventually. If you make your site a place that people want to return to, then your growth will be exponential.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:24pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 25th, 2012 at 11:25pm:
Elfen wrote on Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:20am:
... unless you type in your exact site on the search text box, you will never be number one on a general search.

That's not true at all. One of our most active sites happens to have a No. 2 listing on Google (out of about 9,790,000 results). The No. 1 listing with our chosen search string that perfectly describes our site is a Wikipedia entry. Since 1997 we've pretty much always been in the top 10 on both Google and Yahoo. Ours is an unpaid listing, and so is the Wikipedia listing.

Our chat forum has a No. 3 listing on Google.

In any case, whatever your site endeavors to be, if you're true to what it's supposed to be, search engines will pick up on your site. It's not rocket science.

Meanwhile, until your site picks up its popularity, but only if it's deserved of course, exchange links with the most popular sites in your category. If an exchange isn't possible, then link those sites anyway, and eventually your traffic will grow exponentially.

By the way, don't be fooled by anyone who promises you a top 10 listing on Google. Think about it. Even if a company can do this for you, this can only happen with 10 sites. Duh!

So don't sweat your place on Google. If you build it, and you're true to what your site's supposed to be, people will come to it eventually. If you make your site a place that people want to return to, then your growth will be exponential.

What is the exact text you are putting in the search box? I highly doubt its a loose or generic term since to get it that that high up it would have to be very exclusive.

I say this - I'll use the example of "Bronx Auto Parts Scrap Yard" as a business title. You search "Auto Parts", Bronx Auto parts will not be anywhere near the top 100, with the top 10 going to companies RS Strauss, AutoZone, Sears and several others. If you detail the search to "Bronx Auto Parts", then you will end up in the top 25 with RS Strauss, AutoZone, Sears and several others will being in the top 10 because they have outlets in the Bronx. Now if you search for "Bronx Auto Parts Scrap Yard", it will be in the top five but not number 1 unless its the only entry in that list and by that you need to put in "Bronx Auto Parts Scrap Yard + (its address)."

Its it loose and generic terms that have paid slots for the top 10. That is a fact with Google, I have worked with them for a while and against them in other search engine companies. There is no way that a search engine will make money unless it charges for its services, and putting you up higher on a loose termed search list is how they make money. Its not and never will be a link popularity contest.

Think about it. Google did not run ads until mid 2007 but was a billion dollar company before it added blogs and google mail. How did they make their money? By charging those who want to be on the top 10 of a loose termed search list.

Because of SEO's can change where one is on a search list (there are hacks to put you in the #1 slot), google is thinking of revamping their SEO rules because they are losing money. You stated that you have a Wiki Article? That answers a few questions. You may not be paying Wiki or Google to be placed so high up, but Wikipedia is. So is YouTube and a couple of image sites, which will always place them in the top 5 listings. This ensures them that they will always get the first clicks and they can then sell the data of who went where from Google back to Google and to other markting agencies for more money.

Give me the exact term you are using on Google or any other search engine and I will place screen shots of them here showing where they are at. If it is a loose termed listing, then you're doing something or paying for it. If its more exact in its search request, then there is no denying that you are so high up because there so little competition for those requests.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 1:04am
Post Tools

In general, Google's ad spots smartly sandwich the 10 top spots on each and every one of their page results. So while Google generally has 2 ads on each page, sandwiched in between those ads are 10 unpaid search results.

Translation: The top 10 spots are not paid advertisements. Usually only the first spot is.

The main reason that Google makes the money that it does is because it does a great job at giving people the content they're searching for, which in turns gives them traffic, and that translates into advertising dollars.

The search phrase that many people use to get to our site is actually quite generic, but it's also the name of the site itself. That's basically the reason that we've always ranked so high. Well, that, and the fact that we actually showcase a great deal of content that matches both the search phrase and the site name itself.

Our business model is exactly the same as the one Google uses, although arguably, we were one of the first sites online that generated advertising dollars.

Facts (referenced here for Google):

Google began in January of 1996.
Our site began on April 10, 1997.

The domain name for Google was registered on September 15, 1997.
The domain name for our site was registered on February 23, 1998.

The first funding for Google was in August 1998.
The first earnings for our site were in October 1997.

Somehow throughout the years they managed to make a lot more money then we did.  Roll Eyes

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

WebMe

None
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 5:55pm
Post Tools
Just to make one thing clear here. The only way you can pay to appear in Google search results is via Adwords and all paid for listings are clearly labelled. It is completely incorrect to say that any of the non-sponsored search results are paid for in any way.
Any search engine who did skew their results for financial gain would soon be discredited and disappear.

We offer YaBB compatible hosting. Ask for a free trial.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 3:35am
Post Tools
WebMe is exactly correct.

On a related note, items that are published online can appear within minutes of publication.

Some people still feel that the following meta tag will help:
Code
Select All
<meta name="revisit-after" CONTENT="1 day"> 

Or even:
Code
Select All
<meta name="revisit-after" CONTENT="6 hours"> 

However, it's my understanding that these kind of meta tags are ignored by major search engines like Google. I don't believe it will hurt to have them, but I believe they were only meant for the more primitive crawlers that were used many years ago.

Especially with Google, I'm pretty sure they have crawlers that can easily tell how regularly a site's content is updated as well as how "important" any given site's content is.

I know that with our site there are updated items that will sometimes appear in Google's search results within minutes. Obviously with news sites, breaking news can appear very quickly.

I suspect that Google keeps a history of some kind that lets it know how often any given site is updated. One of our sites in particular is updated at least once a day if not more, and these regular updates have been going on for many years. As such, sites like ours are most probably being crawled by Google in a timely fashion quite regularly.

Again, news sites are a good example of how quickly a site can be crawled by Google, which in turn will show up in their search results.

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2012 at 3:37am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 12:07pm
Post Tools
Google shows up on my site whenever anything is accessed on it. Then it follows the exact path that anyone takes on the board. It also sends bots on a regular basis that just grab other stuff not being accessed by anyone.

The puppydog version of Google is likely due to the Adsense ads I have on the site.

Its very strange to see it just mimic whatever you click on.

IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 12:10pm
Post Tools
Google shows up on my site whenever anything is accessed on it. Then it follows the exact path that anyone takes on the board. It also sends bots on a regular basis that just grab other stuff not being accessed by anyone.

The puppydog version of Google is likely due to the Adsense ads I have on the site.

Its very strange to see it just mimic whatever you click on.

Here are some search engine stats:

Bot Hunter Stats:
-------------------
Most Active Bot: Google Bot (Hits: 3411)
Most Recent Bot: Baidu (Hits: 1540)
Looking at: Board: ASAP: Seance
Total Bot Hits: 8588 (Avg/Day: 232)
Tracking Since: Jan 6, 2012

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 3:10am
Post Tools
BloodyRue wrote on Mar 18th, 2012 at 12:07pm:
The puppydog version of Google is likely due to the Adsense ads I have on the site.Its very strange to see it just mimic whatever you click on.

i have Adsense ads on my forum as well but the google Adsense bots dont check that much maybe every 2 day or so untill i go into a post i havent been in for ages lol

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 1:29am
Post Tools
WebMe wrote on Mar 17th, 2012 at 5:55pm:
Just to make one thing clear here. The only way you can pay to appear in Google search results is via Adwords and all paid for listings are clearly labelled. It is completely incorrect to say that any of the non-sponsored search results are paid for in any way.
Any search engine who did skew their results for financial gain would soon be discredited and disappear.

Actually, I was working with data from before 2007, when I worked with search engine companies. Back then, this was true and in my belief it still is some form. But as I recently found out in 2007, Google created a campaign against paid links that transfer higher PageRanks. So this was their policy then and in many search engines it still is. I believe that Google still does. Its the only way they can make their billions through mega conglomerate corporations but not for the everyday man like you and I. AdSense and other paid features for Google are not enough to give the billions it makes every year.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top