Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic What's happening? (Read 3,104 times)
Tah Zonemaster
YaBB Newcomer

Re: What's happening?
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 10:07pm
Post Tools
It would really be sad to let it die, but I can't help out with development as I don't know a thing about perl and my localhost doesn't support perl. If you need help with the website feel free to ask me, I would be happy to help you

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 3:17am
Post Tools
If you understood the struggles I have gone through in the last probably 7 of these 11 years to keep YaBB going, you would understand.  And the thousands of dollars I lost in the last two years with the bad economy (people did not want to pay no matter how many plans I added, features I included, or cost reductions I did), which existed primarily because of and for YaBB, that didn't help.  It started dying a very slow death when I stopped coding myself long ago and took an administrative and web development role.  We had very successful spurts of development and great versions since then that have kept it beating.  YaBB has been the start of many other still popular and successful systems and has been the proving/learning ground for many future developers.  However, after going through several rewrites and differences of opinion on the next big version, it has still gone nowhere.  

I appreciate the feedback and offers for help with hosting.  I realize SourceForge (which the switch to was because of ending XIMinc last year) has worsened YaBB's rep due to the poor host it is.  However, to spend time or money moving it to a faster server at this point will do nothing.  It did nothing before the move to SF.

What we need is developers with time and knowledge more than bug fixing.  Unfortunately the ones we had seem to be on an extended leave.  So I admit and am ashamed that I have not paid YaBB much attention for the past few months.

If there is a consensus to to keep YaBB alive for the sake of people that want to continue using it as is, modify it for their own use, and contributing mods then let's do it.  If it means no new versions will come out, and support will wean down to little then there is no point in paying for hosting.  If active developers come along, then I will be all for a paid host especially if donations come in.  

All we have heard this year is a lot of pleas and gripes but nobody offering a solution to the actual development of YaBB 3.

This is an open community.  Let's make a decision, and then I can make some sort of news announcement.  If there is no decision by the end of the year, then maybe I need to make the last announcement.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2011 at 3:19am by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:49pm
Post Tools
Carsten leaving, CJ being an Ex-Member (with no reasoning), and Support team members asking what is happening here do confirm that my difficult decision to move my site away from YaBB after 5.5yrs is the correct, albeit regretful, decision.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:46pm
Post Tools
I have finally accepted that this is the end for YaBB  Cry.

A year of running on Sourceforge has made YaBB a laughing stock. Nobody in their right mind would choose YaBB when the showcase site runs so utterly badly.  Even if there were any devs left working on YaBB - I don't believe there are - why would they give up their valuable time when it seems there is no leadership, and no usable hosting available. Its a bit of a joke, and that annoys the hell out of me  Sad

If I can run a much, much larger YaBB for less than the cost of Miss Emily's licence, I fail to see why we are lumbered with Sourceforge. And everyone knew it was tarnishing YaBB's image, yet it was left. Unwanted, unloved.

Corey - if you don't want YaBB any more, hand it over to someone who is prepared to run it, and put the time and effort in.  Though, I don't think it can be recovered now. Its passed the point of no return. Dead. Deceased. Gone.

I have found my way out of YaBB - I will be running my main site on a competing forum product by next weekend.

IP Logged

fireblade103
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:53pm
Post Tools
Sorry for my bad english.

If de hosting is the problem ,than i will host the site.
I will pay the cost for myself so Yabbforum can run for the people who need help.

And maybe the developers will come back en continue whith developing YaBB 3 MySQL.

So if corey  contact me , we can move YaBB to a new hostingaccount en the site will run as it should run.

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:04pm
Post Tools
I understand why we're on SourceForge, but as Derek said, it just isn't working. I know that YaBB has other problems right now, especially a lack of developers, but that doesn't change the fact that its hard to draw developers to the project when the home site barely loads.

It will be a couple of weeks before I have any free money, since I just had to get a new car, but in early October, I will donate $25 to help with web hosting, if we can get somewhere that can handle the site!

But at this point I have to agree the SourceForge hosting just isn't working out.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
What's happening?
Sep 14th, 2011 at 11:25pm
Post Tools
I was hoping that someone else would say something, but seeing as they haven't, then I'm very sorry that it has to be me - believe me, this is the last thing that I want to say or even to think about, but this is affecting my life and I'm sure a few others.

So, what's happening?

Corey, before I carry on, I totally understand that you have been doing this for 11 years and want to move on, and that you have nobody to pass it onto - I fully understand and respect you for that - but if you don't want to do this anymore then please don't keep us all hanging on and let us know the score.

This forum was in maintenance again for something like 40 hours, and when you finally logged in to sort it out there was no explanation to the forum users whatsoever. Have you even noticed that CJ is an Ex Member? I'm very sure that CJ wouldn't leave like that (I certainly hope not anyway - CJ, Please come back!), so it has to be a corrupted file. What's happening?

And, this forum is unusable and I know that yourself and everybody else knows that - this isn't working - this is totally killing YaBB - it's absolutely murdering it. Whether there are devs working on the project or not, we still need a forum that works. It's impossible to even try to give support here, because like I say, this forum is practicably unusable.

What happened to the $50 off Miss Emily for the license removal? That was six months hosting there.

Like I say, I don't want to say any of this, but unless this gets sorted out then I just can't go on giving support or come here any more - I'm very sorry to the genuine users who need support, but I'm sure they will understand - it's impossible for me to do anything else.

It's only courteous to let the forum users what is going on, so please can we have an explanation?

To repeat myself, I'm very, very sorry that it is me who has had to say something in public, and I'm probably going to be hated for it, but this is slaughtering YaBB - I can't stand by and see that happen without saying something.

I pay for web space every year just so that I can make YaBB Mods and test Mods - nothing else, just YaBB stuff - so if I can have web space that works (and believe me, I'm a poor person) then I can't understand why this place can't?

So, what is happening? My full respect for what you have done in the past, but, what's happening?

No doubt I will be dragged across scalding hot sands for this, but I've almost given up caring what people think of me when nobody else seems to care anyway.

If this is a waste of mine and everybody else's life, then please tell us...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top