Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Hello, all. (Read 2,107 times)
Planter
YaBB Newcomer

None
Hello, all.
Sep 18th, 2011 at 11:10am
Post Tools
New user.  I'm going to work on installing YABB 2.5 today.

IP Logged

jason1
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Re: Hello, all.
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 8:39am
Post Tools
Hello, all.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Hello, all.
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 4:01pm
Post Tools
Does anyone now seriously think that this forum shouldn't be using an anti-spam mod for these spam-bots? The excuses against it are kind of silly.

Spam in this forum is unacceptable, especially when it doesn't get swatted away in a timely fashion. Roll Eyes

As for the occasional hu-bots that may show up from time to time, JonB can't be expected to be on duty 24/7. As it is now, he's been gone for a couple of days, which obviously means that nobody else is around to swat away the spam as he so aptly does when he's logged on.

My recommendation is still the same; after an anti-spam mod has been installed in this forum, if there are any hu-bots that come after the spam-bots have been stopped cold, YaBB's admin approval for pre-registration should be utilized. It doesn't have to be done right away. Take the "wait and see" approach since this forum is clearly timid about taking on the spammers.

As for the issue of YaBB users needing "immediate help" because they're not registered in this forum, create a board for guest access if an anti-spam mod isn't being utilized. But of course, installing an anti-spam mod is the sensible thing to do.

Or maybe someone from BoardMod can step up to the plate to take over support for YaBB for those people who choose to use a forum that doesn't have spam. I'm guessing that BoardMod is able to effectively keep spam out of their forum. After all, members there are the ones who authored anti-spam mods in the first place, right?

To those of you who are still against installing an anti-spam mod because you don't really care if spam posts are mixed in with legitimate ones, you may want to consider that there will be people who'll turn away from this forum because of the spam.

This forum should be a showcase for how well YaBB performs. It shouldn't highlight the fact that spammers have control of it.

Lastly for now since I hope this post of mine will disappear along with the spam that precedes it, it's the "little things" like not caring about spam control that gives the impression YaBB isn't really serious about its forum software.

On that note, too, think of how a developer might feel about creating an anti-spam mod for YaBB that Yabb's own forum doesn't care to use. As it's already obviously happened with other open source developers for YaBB, that disrespect will be a sign to move on to other forum software.

Just saying.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
Edited to correct a spelling error.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2012 at 4:04pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top