Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Local host install (Read 8,808 times)
JimTR
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Local host install
Reply #15 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
Ok so now it works on the desktop (ip 192.168.1.67) no problem but if I log on via another machine on the network by typing "192.168.1.67/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl" this machine appears to read the paths set (localhost) really this should be 192.168.1.67 and displays the board in a format without css & images (as the paths read localhost/*.* rather than 192.168.1.67/*.*). Any option then selected then fails with a 404 error so I guess I have missed yet another point !

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 5:42pm
Post Tools
Try using your desktop IP instead of localhost for the url path settings in YaBB that aren't working properly.
(I've had this problem before. I ended up having to change settings on the second machine to identify 'localhost' as belonging to the server machine's IP. It was ugly.)

What's happening:  localhost is the local loopback IP (127.0.0.1)  - so when the second machine sees a call to localhost, it's looking at itself to find the path.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2011 at 5:47pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
@ Dandello

I agree, from a web development point fo view, there's relatively little difference between a Windows desktop with Apache, PHP and MySQL and a Windows Server with Apache and MySQL.  I used to use WAMP, but became a fan of XAMPP.  There are still some extensions that just don't have the Windows binaries, and it takes a  lot of work (plus the right compilers) to 'shake & bake' your own.  Those, admittedly, are mostly exotic stuff and for that you should be developing on the same OS, in my opinion.

That said - these are enormous differences in  IIS production environments or in Windows Domains. Including the fact that the Windows IP stack is different on workstation flavors from the same Server versions (more IP sessions - among other things). The Windows Server family also has literally dozens of specialized server variants 

@ JimTR

Well you have it working, and that's the big part.  Wink

I can knock out a few of those

Bzip2 method is one of several compression methods for YaBB backup. (which you SHOULD learn about in Admin Center) YaBB can back it self up and store, email or allow you to DL the backup files). You will probably find that the tar and tar.gz methods are available since you are on Linux.

Net::SMTP:TLS and Crypt::SSLeay are both for communicating with an SMTP server using TLS(SSL for mail) such as Gmail or Yahoo Bizmail (that would be used sending notifications or 'email your members'). The outbound server is a third party (not yours or your ISP's) that requires a secure connection w/authentication. for a local server - not an issue.

MIME::Lite appears to be for attaching to e-mail - I suspect its used by YaBB Backup to attach the Archive to the outbound e-mail - in your case on a local server, non-critical

http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/MIME-Lite-3.027/lib/MIME/Lite.pm

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JimTR
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #18 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 6:12pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 5:42pm:
Try using your desktop IP instead of localhost for the url path settings in YaBB that aren't working properly.
(I've had this problem before. I ended up having to change settings on the second machine to identify 'localhost' as belonging to the server machine's IP. It was ugly.)

What's happening:  localhost is the local loopback IP (127.0.0.1)  - so when the second machine sees a call to localhost, it's looking at itself to find the path.

Ok fixed just changed the paths to read 192.168 ... etc  it worked .. perhaps not the best solution but good enough for software development !

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #19 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 6:21pm
Post Tools
Well, the other method would be:
In the httpd.config there is a line to set your server name to the IP address instead of localhost.

Now, the downside I see to using this is it may bollix up your previously installed apps as nothing referring to 'localhost' is going to work properly.

But you've now got everything working so congratulations.  Grin

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JimTR
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #20 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 8:14pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 6:21pm:
Well, the other method would be:
In the httpd.config there is a line to set your server name to the IP address instead of localhost.

Now, the downside I see to using this is it may bollix up your previously installed apps as nothing referring to 'localhost' is going to work properly.

But you've now got everything working so congratulations.  Grin

Thanks just one last thing before I go and annoy everyone in the CSS area ... do you fancy a challenge ?
to set up the BB software I help develop back in the 80's ?
required are :-
a PC with a processor greater or equal to 8086
ram greater or equal to 512kb

at least 1 modem

Dos V4 or greater ... some versions of the dos shell under windows do not work ... (XP does so perhaps W7 also ?)

a text editor

a fossil driver

knowledge of ANSI std for colours

I can supply the fossil driver along with the forum software (bb)

let's see if it takes 5 days  Cheesy

IP Logged

JimTR
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #21 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 8:20pm
Post Tools
JimTR wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 6:12pm:
Dandello wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 5:42pm:

What's happening:  localhost is the local loopback IP (127.0.0.1)  - so when the second machine sees a call to localhost, it's looking at itself to find the path.

Ok fixed just changed the paths to read 192.168 ... etc  it worked .. perhaps not the best solution but good enough for software development !

Hence why I like the no SQL approach ... the server the finished product may reside on has no mysql ... just sql (by ms ... is that short for multiple sclerosis  Cool ) so the deployment , when required, will work !

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #22 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 10:47pm
Post Tools
Ubuntu should not be that different from any other Linx Install, except Ubuntu Server is in text mode only and everything is done on the command window.

If you read over the Basics for Suse Linux install and realize the differences where Suse and Ubuntu saves their files, then you should be able to install your YaBB on Ubuntu.

Read: http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1216527632
(Yes, I wrote many years ago and those who follow it to the letter, are success 100% of the time!)

Now NOTE: You will need Ubnutu Server and not Ubuntu Desktop or any other Unbuntu Distro like Kubunu! Ubuntu desktop does not come with a webserver applications. Furthermore, Ubuntu Server does not come with a GUI (Desktop Windows systems), and Ubuntu Desktop does not come with a full Perl Package.

In thinking about it, looks like its time to set up an Ubuntu server, install YaBB on it and write it up to post here!
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2012 at 10:48pm by Elfen »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools