Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Still perplexed on "spamming" issues. (Read 15,706 times)
Jeff Walters
YaBB Newcomer

None
Still perplexed on "spamming" issues.
Oct 8th, 2011 at 4:10am
Post Tools
I was being "spammed" with false registered members from all sorts of emails like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, and a lot more. The ones that hit the most are 163.com, 126.com, tom.com, urmail.com yeah.net and a whole lot more.
I went and added all these IP's and emails to the "banned" list but they still show up everysingle day.
So I switched the new registered to "must have admin approval". Now no one can post, not even me!
I removed that to what it was before to "open registraion" and still no on else can post.
What, where do i look and what, where do I "check or click" to allow people to post? I am really getting pissed off at this and all "simple to understand English" comments are welcome.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Still perplexed on "spamming" issues.
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 3:04pm
Post Tools
Well, first, banning and blocking are two different things. The email domains are 'blocked' under Security Center->Antispam Settings
For the rest - when you banned all those IPs under 'Ban Members' you banned EVERYBODY's IPs

So - unban the IPs then put the email domains you want to block in the Antispam list - just the email domains (second text box) - ie: 123.com, etc.

The current email addresses you have banned should stay banned.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2011 at 3:12pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

ortegaj
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:12am
Post Tools
Is there a new  robot that beat the captcha feature of YABB 2.5 AE???

I've deleten new members from my forum (more than 3 daily) for the past 3 months.

Is there aother option like the one i use in every other site i create:   captcha [dot]  net ???

Please advice.

Thanks

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:02pm
Post Tools
If there's a new robot beating the 2.5 captcha it hasn't hit my boards.

for the rest:
  1. set the validation image to a higher number of figures and more complex figures than the default - like 8 figures with caps.
  2. block the known spam email domains under Antispam Settings -> Email Domain Filter
  3. add the Anti-spam mod (http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1315522544
  4. use 'pre-registration by email and admin approval of all registrations'
  5. under Antispam Settings - put the minimum number of posts before links and images allowed in messages and in signatures to at something a lot higher than 0.

At least this way, you won't be deleting them from your board, just from your registration log.

This method has taken me from 10 spam registration attempts a day to one a week. And new members can still get through - assuming their 'reason for registering' is not random garbage,

IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:43am
Post Tools
I just got this error, but the forum spammer mod has been working fine before this one:

Could not find YaBB.xml in ./ at ./Sources/Register.pl line 584

IP Logged

ortegaj
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:49am
Post Tools
Thanks man...I did all but one of that list.   Lets see what happen.

The only thing i couldn't find was the "pre-registration" setting.

Can you tell me where is it?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:09pm
Post Tools
Admin->Forum Settings->Members
It's about halfway down the page in a select box.

@BloodyRue
on my copy of Register.pl that line is calling for a function in XML::Simple (which is a Perl module).
Check and make sure the module is installed and didn't get updated into oblivion or corrupted. I think some other people have had similar issues but at an educated guess, if this is a brand new problem, then that module is a good place to start looking.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:21pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:44pm
Post Tools
ortegaj wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:12am:
Is there aother option like the one i use in every other site i create:   captcha [dot]  net ???

Hi,

There's a Mod for that here:

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1315959061

IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 10:45pm
Post Tools
I am wondering if the spammer was trying to hack the registration process and got that error. otherwise the mod is working fine on all the rest of the spammers.

i noticed a funky email sent by my initial yabb install and went to check why something was coming from yabb and not yabb2.

in there i found someone waiting in the registration log waiting to be authorized.

i didn't set the board up for that so i am assuming they hacked their way    into that.

i removed yabb.pl from the directory and did a redirection to the new yabb2 board for calls into that directory.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 2:18am
Post Tools
It does sound odd. I know some other people have had odd problems with getting XML::Simple loaded but since yours is working a majority of the time, then that's not likely to be the same problem.

IP Logged

lazykins
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 12:45am
Post Tools
I've got a problem related to this today. I've had my registrations on lock down for sometime. Something attempted to register with user name 12345. I can't delete it from my reg log! Instant delete doesn't delete it. I can't open the View Profile and decide link, I get a message about not being able to view raw data. Cleaning the log didn't work. Can I manually delete my reg log? Can I replace it with a blank?

I upped my captcha settings and tuned everything up a notch after this. Hopefully this was an actual person who is ticked off that they must wait for approval and not a spammer. There were no weird errors at that time, and no other activity on the logs.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Amy

IP Logged

lazykins
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 1:26am
Post Tools
Figured it out when i searched the forum a little further back. Del .pre file in Members dir. Clean log. Thanks YaBB people, for sharing!

IP Logged

crazydiamond23
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 1:00pm
Post Tools
lazykins wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 at 1:26am:
Figured it out when i searched the forum a little further back. Del .pre file in Members dir. Clean log. Thanks YaBB people, for sharing!

I am getting killed everyday by spammers. Admittedly, I need to upgrade and change the spamming rules but I am not very good with this stuff. I've noticed that lately my log is being wiped clean as well so this last reply really got my attention. Is there anyone I can contact to do an upgrade for me and change the spamming rules? Would really appreciate some help.

thanks
Tim

IP Logged

Bod.
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 9:13am
Post Tools
In the last few days the forum on a site I maintain has been hit with lots of "spam registrations". That is they are signing up, but due to us having to approve members, no spam is actually being posted to the forum (good).  But a bit annoying to the admin who approves/rejects registrations.

We have the captcha set to a length of 9, a mix of upper/lower case & digits. But still they come.  Could bump it up, but don't want to make it too hard for the genuine registrations.

From previous posts on this matter, the conclusion is that there are little fingers in a low cost back-land being paid a few bread crumbs to type away.  Is this still the conclusion?  Do we just wait until they tire of it?  

My altzeimer's is improving - I can't remember the last time I forgot something.

IP Logged

AmishCake

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 1:46pm
Post Tools
Well, changing the registration to a 6 digit captcha slowed it down at first, but today I woke up to 50 verified and 17 other registrations waiting for approval. Geez! Does it ever end???

E.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top