Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Still perplexed on "spamming" issues. (Read 15,302 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Still perplexed on "spamming" issues.
Reply #65 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 11:51pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 4:29pm:
Bill -

I really think you should take the plunge. Its not so bad.

XAMMP is incredible easy to install (and you can actually have multiple version of it also) ...

... I use Fbackup to back up the whole XAMPP folder each day ...

... So - go for it!  The water is only cold when you jump in the first time, and Carsten, Derek, Jet Li and others have lots of towels ready.

Cool

Thanks!

I'll take the plunge soon; probably sometime after the new year since I'm swamped with a lot to do right now.

I didn't know about XAMMP. I realize this sounds like a cop out, but I have staffers for server stuff; generally speaking, even though I do like to learn this stuff, and know it myself.

I didn't know about the Fbackup program either. It looks fantastic. I like that it can back up files as they are. That's how I do it. I'm religious about backing up, and use the Cobian backup software (also free). Admittedly, Fbackup looks more appealing on the face of it than Cobian does.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #64 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 11:34pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 4:40pm:
Quote:
Think Microsoft's software versus Apple's software.

I hate to dispel that myth, but Apple software is also full of bugs ...

I stand corrected. Right you are. I was just generalizing; Macs almost always work far better than PCs. I'm a PC guy myself, although I do have an iPod and an iPad.

Speaking of which, and this is off topic, but after upgrading iPad's latest firmware/software, my apps were at first missing, and then after I reinstalled them from a backup, they were all out of order. Arrgggghhh!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #63 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 4:40pm
Post Tools
Quote:

I hate to dispel that myth, but Apple software is also full of bugs, inadvertant 'we made the decision for you' issues between versions and stuff that just does not work as advertised. "fanbois" are just jacked in a bad spot, as they have railed against "M$" for so long they are reluctant to deal with reality other than on Mac boards. (I do Mac network support).  Oh, want to do something Steve didn't imagine, be prepared to learn bash scripting (they have their own version called 'Apple Script'.  Got a tricky permissions issue - welcome to 'term'.  and so on.

I'm not saying their stuff is poorly engineered, just that its far from perfect, and their culture leads to little self-deprecation.

I know, blah, blah, blah...  Grin

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #62 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 4:29pm
Post Tools
Bill -

I really think you should take the plunge. Its not so bad.  AND - as long as you backup you board(s) first - you can always switch back.  Confession (I make a copy of yabb2 and yabbfiles as well, that saves the unpacking part if I just need one file)

I will also reveal my 'top-secret YaBB methods' RIGHT NOW!

I have XAMMP (an Apache/MySQL/PHP/Perl) suite installed on this very machine.  And I always have three or four YaBB installations. Some are quick installs done just to verify things, and a couple (1-2.4 and 1-2.5AE) are permanent. I use them to test mods, new themes I make, and fixes and confirm suspicions on problems. When I have everything worked out, I do the BoardMod process with my 'real servers'.  No kabooms that way... Cheesy

I only run a few mods on my two very active boards - the IRC chat and Event Calendar.  I have five themes I built that folks can choose from.  I think I am going to add 'theme switcher' next as we now have a pretty good number of themes. 

XAMMP is incredible easy to install (and you can actually have multiple version of it also), so I have a machine where I can break things and not worry at all. When I am ready to 'mess with YaBB', I just run the Admin Center backup and I know I am OK.  I use Fbackup to back up the whole XAMPP folder each day.  I have my Wordpress development
code on this machine as well.  I'm also a team member over there on XAMPP as well.  Wink

So - go for it!  The water is only cold when you jump in the first time, and Carsten, Derek, Jet Li and others have lots of towels ready.

Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #61 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 12:14am
Post Tools
Edited:
By the way, as some of you may have noticed, this forum's links are sometimes incorrect ones. Try going to a particular topic; not just a post as that seems to work; and you'll see what I mean. Clicking Anti Spam for instance doesn't take you to the right place.

Should be: http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=antispam

Should not be: http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?boardselect=antispam&subboards=1

Thank you Batchman for your feedback! I know you're right, and I appreciate the help.

I think it's great that BoardMod was created; very impressive.

I'm still using the YaBB 2.4 version, and I've very rarely had any problems with it. Any problems I've had were quickly fixed thanks to help, and tips I read in this forum, and once very recently, direct help was given rather quickly.

As for adding mods, and implementing other features, including updating to the latest stable YaBB version, I guess I'm waiting for things to get back to normal here in this forum, and also on the  BoardMod forum, i.e., waiting to see if the experts involved can stabilize things, and get things up to speed. After all, if people who are far more intelligent than I am in the way of using their own forum are having problems with it, then it doesn't make sense for me to go forward with it myself.

Yes, I realize the forum is using a beta version, so bugs will be messing things up, but like a forum software reviewer wrote about another forum's software, maybe the people behind YaBB should only have, and use the latest stable version of their software online publicly. Mind you, this same reviewer happens to think very highly of YaBB, so his views weren't a slam; just a professional suggestion that actually makes a lot of since.

On that note, my waiting is kind of like what I did with Windows 7; I waited for a while to see how others did with it before I upgraded. I'll probably do the same with Windows 8.

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2011 at 12:26am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #60 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 10:03pm
Post Tools
BoardMod has a learning curve, just like YaBB itself (as you already noted.)

I will say, after you start to get used to it, you become better and better at it. Now if there is a mod conflict or a new version of YaBB with no corresponding version of a mod, about 90% of the time I update the mod myself.

And I still know no programming, I just have learned which changes are minor, and I can make them, and which are major and need more input.

On that 10%, Derek or Carsten are life-savers, even if it isn't one of their mods, frequently.

It is worth the time it takes to get used to the BoardMod experience for the freedom you receive to add new features to your forum!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #59 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:44pm:
Somewhere over on the mod board there should be understandable instructions for adding a mod - it looks daunting, but once you get your brain around it, it shouldn't be too bad. And Carsten and the other guys over there don't bite.

Edited:
Okay; think I got it. First one needs to install BoardMod, and then add mods like SpamFruits, etc. For now I may wait since things don't seem quite up to date in that forum; kind of like here; still trying to get their footing back.

Thanks Dandello. I appreciate the encouragement. I'll figure it out just as I did with YaBB back in 2002. Ironically, once I got past the learning curve of how to install YaBB correctly, I ended up being a "go to guy" for YaBB installations. Go figure.

I'm reminded of the time when a company asked me if I could set up a database for them on their Macs. I didn't know one thing about a Mac, but I was pretty well versed with PC databases, and I knew that a Mac was very user friendly. So while I'm learning what to do, as they're watching, I somehow figured it out, and got a database going for them. But again, Mac is user-friendly, relatively speaking.

The environment for "newbies" here in YaBB support wasn't particularly friendly in the old days, so webmasters who asked for my support were "afraid" to participate here as I suggested. Still, some of them chose to use YaBB even though as the years passed pretty much all of them left YaBB for easier, and more friendly pastures. i.e., many hired staff to operate other forums, and blogs. It seems that a lot of them now rely on user-friendly social networks like Facebook. Again; no fuss, no muss.

In any case, hopefully after the holidays I'll be able to spend some time on the Board Mod to figure out how everything works. Thanks again.

For me personally, excluding mainstream projects, maintaining a chat forum versus Facebook (really in addition to it) is the way to go. That's why I'm hoping I can get up to speed again with the learning curve of using YaBB.

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2011 at 6:08am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #58 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:44pm
Post Tools
Well my two forums have had 1 spammer get through to the point of my actually having a notice that I had someone waiting for approval. And considering I was getting a couple hundred spam registration attempts a week before I added the mods, I figure they work.

As for complexity - I'm a member on a number of admin forums and one of the big complaints is spam - EXCEPT on the one that caters more to the programmer types. It's my observation that running any forum requires at least a moderate level of understanding the underlying language - not just for YaBB but for any of them. Too many people think that software is an install and walk-away proposition, but it isn't, as you know.

Somewhere over on the mod board there should be understandable instructions for adding a mod - it looks daunting, but once you get your brain around it, it shouldn't be too bad. And Carsten and the other guys over there don't bite.

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:48pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #57 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:11pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 3:50pm:
You don't say which version of YaBB you're running. First - make sure you have the recommended anti-spam mods running, the stopforumspam mod being the first - that automatically disallows anyone already on the list.

2, add either the Spam Fruits or Anti-spam quiz mod. If you choose the anti-spam quiz mod, make sure to add your own unique questions to it.

Between those two, the attacks should go down to a dull roar.

And the 'regular' anti-spam board is here http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=antispam

Thank you Dandello!

I've never used any of the Board Mod services; to get it going just seems too darned complicated.

SpamFruits, for instance, looks great, but there only seems to be a download icon, and no instructions. Pretty to look at, but for a non-geek like me, how in the world is it installed?

Please keep in mind that the majority of webmasters like me, won't be as savvy about these things like the rest of you are. You guys know these things like the back of your hand. I think this may be one of the reasons that Facebook took off like it did; no fuss, no muss; just do.

I had quite a learning curve back in 2002 while trying to follow what to the rest of you are easy instructions to install YaBB. I was so afraid of it that I stayed with YaBB 1.4 until about 2 1/2 years ago when I finally upgraded to YaBB 2.4 ... really only doing this because spammers were inundating me with spam posts. I needed to have a moderator on duty 24/7. Thankfully, surfers from around the world visit our forum, so at least we had options.

YaBB 2.4 is obviously far better. Unfortunately, even though spammers are unable to post in our forum because admin approval is needed to finish their registrations, I'm still invalidating or deleting a couple hundred attempted registrations every day. Yes, it's easy to do, and it only takes a few short minutes, but it's still a pain.

So, from someone relatively ignorant like me who isn't as savvy as the rest of you, using Board Mod seems daunting. As for the webmaster community in general, chat forums are simply too complicated to stay abreast of in terms of fighting spam, and installing updates, which is why it seems that so many are simply socializing their websites via Facebook and Twitter.

Obviously, to survive with YaBB, I need to get my act together, and get back to that learning curve to figure this stuff out.  Wink

But on that note, think of it from my perspective, and frankly, the majority of other webmasters; if experts like many of you here are unable to get in front of these spammers, how in the world are people like me going to stay on top of this?

In the glass half full department, YaBB 2.4 is very clearly a terrific forum that runs quite well when everything has been installed correctly. And the spammer issue? Bottom line, they aren't able to post any spam in our forum.  Cool

Edited:
Corrected a spelling error.  Wink

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:13pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #56 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 4:10pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from General Usage and Feature Troubleshooting [move by] JonB.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #55 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:55am
Post Tools
No worries.

IP Logged

forumguy99

Reply #54 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 10:36pm
Post Tools
Thanks, that works for yabb 2.2, 2.4 and 2.5.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #53 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 5:07am
Post Tools
That will be fine. In 2.2 just add after:

Code (Perl)
Select All
    &fatal_error("no_reg_reason") if ($member{'reason'} eq "" && $regtype == 1); 

Instead of (2.5):

Code (Perl)
Select All
    &fatal_error("no_reg_reason") if $member{'reason'} eq "" && $regtype == 1; 

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2011 at 5:08am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

forumguy99

Reply #52 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 5:00am
Post Tools
for the fruits, in the last file edit, the code to find is a bit different. It had a  "(" included in the code. I didnt want to try it though.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #51 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 4:41am
Post Tools
The Anti-Spam Question won't install with 2.2, no. The same as I mentioned above though, it might work with a bit of adapting.

And I haven't tested it on 2.4. If the 2.5 version doesn't install on 2.4 though, then you could try the mod file for 2.3 attached to this post here (one of them should work):

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1316894374/4#4

There's a sticky here with the versions that the anti-spam mods will work on:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1321729071/0#0
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2011 at 4:47am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top