Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Locked Topic Recent Outage (Read 8,641 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Recent Outage
Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 3:37am
There are no actions to perform.
A move to a more reliable server can only help.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 1:22am
NextGen wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 12:02am:
I PMed Corey telling him I was interested in helping. No response. Sad to see YaBB go but you can't cling to out dated technology and free services and expect anything to maintain or flourish.

Your PM to me was only a couple days ago, but you have a response now.

Certainly my slowed activity this year (mainly in 3 of the last 4 months) and my not wanting to spend additional personal money to host YaBB away from SourceForge has damaged YaBB's reputation.  For that I truly apologize and hope it can be repaired.  However, what reason did I have for spending the amount of time and money I had for the past 10 years?  I have asked for help and asked for a status from the current team and got no responses or action.  There was nobody offering to help and certainly nobody to ask to work along side me in my position on the team because of that.  There was a lack of direction from me for part of this dark time, but I started it off with plenty of discussion when the team wanted direction.  I gave them the answer they wanted, but then nobody was doing anything with it.  That's why I backed off.

Activity is picking up the last few weeks here now, but it is still very slow and few posts - mostly people reading.  I can only hope that a move to a new host can work, and I am willing to try that.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011 at 1:27am by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

NextGen
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #16 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 12:02am
I PMed Corey telling him I was interested in helping. No response. Sad to see YaBB go but you can't cling to out dated technology and free services and expect anything to maintain or flourish.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #15 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 8:03pm
Corey Chapman wrote on Dec 3rd, 2011 at 5:56pm:
I thought about holding my tongue because I normally don't say things in public like this... but I decided to create a candid reply and vent a bit.  If you care to read reply #55 and 56 (warning - it is long):

http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1320612334/45

I nearly didn't reply, as now, sadly, no longer a YaBB user, I feel I have no right to reply.

From the outside looking in, I can see some of the frustrations. This site is unusable since moving to Sourceforge (we've had enough private and public discussions about it). I have been able to run a larger, busier YaBB site with no budget, so I personally struggle to understand the Sourceforge situation.
Evenyone is looking to you, the steward of YaBB, to guide its direction. It seems that that direction was most definately mising for months, causing development to halt completely (and as it happens, not restart).  The reasons for that are now obvious  Cry. Finding another steward, albeit temporarily if necessary, during such times may have helped? Certainly the last year have been particularly bad for the YaBB project.

Not meant to sound critical, and things are always easier with hindsight. Meant to portray an outsider's view.

I think with the extended outage, many went to Carsten's site to talk YaBB. Inevitable bitching went on, as the main site was screwed for ages, and as far as outsiders could see, nothing being done to fix it, or even know you were aware.

I sincerely hope YaBB can be resurected, as its a great piece of software, and incredibly reliable in my experience. It ran my site well for over 5 years, before I turned to the dark side (SMF).

Personally, I wish you success in the job that has taken much of your time, and hope your personal life suffers no more tradegys.

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 5:56pm
I thought about holding my tongue because I normally don't say things in public like this... but I decided to create a candid reply and vent a bit.  If you care to read reply #55 and 56 (warning - it is long):

http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1320612334/45

IP Logged

WxDaddy

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 4:35pm
I think YaBB has had a great run of things, and I was happy to help a couple websites keep their message boards going with YaBB over the years.

...but something has happened in the last year and half or so that's troubling, and it's apparent that to even say it's on its last legs would be understatement. It's dead, and nobody is just coming out and saying that. I appreciate the developers hard work over the years, and I'm sure this will be taken personally by some, but it's not meant that way.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Ex Member

I have two identities that are the same? What?! ;)
Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 9:37pm
Bill Myers wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 11:56pm:
Thank you for coming through for us Corey; very much appreciated.

How odd to be quoting myself. Then again, this forum has me listed twice even though I'm using my Bill@MyersProductions.com address for each identity.

What?!  Shocked

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:08pm
Ah, okay. Little buggers ain't they, get their hands into everything. Sad

IP Logged

forumguy99

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:58pm
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 4:49am:
forumguy99... Why is the website you are linking to (yabbdirectory.com) advertising 'Burberry Handbags'? Undecided

Thanks for reminding me. I took it off profile. I had the yabbdirectory for two years but no one added their forums and no one would link it here or anywhere so I didn't renew the web site. Someone else took it.
You can delete our two posts.
Thanks. wouldnt want to help that site now.  Sad

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 4:49am
forumguy99... Why is the website you are linking to (yabbdirectory.com) advertising 'Burberry Handbags'? Undecided

IP Logged

forumguy99

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 4:27am
I have a cloud hosting account and many yabb forums on it. I should be able to host it. I dont think the bandwidth would be an issue. Sure I would like a little revenue some how to pay for more server power.

Hosting, servers, arent that expensive.
One issue I would have is that I block many IPs to block spam and bots.

Why not get some people together and get a nice cloud hosting account? We can get this up and running fast.

Lets start one step at a time, stop talking. Start doing.

Corey, can we put together a team? I'm willing to get things going.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 10:17pm
Corey,

I'm not one for speaking behind peoples backs, so you probably want to have a read through this thread to see what people are actually saying (especially me):

http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1320612334

I was a little off it when I made a couple of posts on there, so will probably remove them at some point, but figure it's only fair that you have the chance to see them before I do.

IP Logged

WebMe

None
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 8:15pm
We may be able to help with the hosting Corey. PM or email me with your requirements.

We offer YaBB compatible hosting. Ask for a free trial.
IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:41pm
It was a little bit of both actually.  Between me having been traveling for work a lot lately, not knowing for just part of the time, and mostly having trouble getting onto SF servers and finding out what went wrong (which I'm still not totally sure of).

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:37pm
Thankyou for the update, and for getting it fixed Smiley

Hopefully other team members now have alternate ways of contacting you for next time it happens, as I guess the length of outage was more down to you not being aware, rather than actual fix time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top