Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Locked Topic Recent Outage (Read 8,741 times)
The Boy

Re: Recent Outage
Reply #15 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 8:03pm
There are no actions to perform.
Corey Chapman wrote on Dec 3rd, 2011 at 5:56pm:
I thought about holding my tongue because I normally don't say things in public like this... but I decided to create a candid reply and vent a bit.  If you care to read reply #55 and 56 (warning - it is long):

http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1320612334/45

I nearly didn't reply, as now, sadly, no longer a YaBB user, I feel I have no right to reply.

From the outside looking in, I can see some of the frustrations. This site is unusable since moving to Sourceforge (we've had enough private and public discussions about it). I have been able to run a larger, busier YaBB site with no budget, so I personally struggle to understand the Sourceforge situation.
Evenyone is looking to you, the steward of YaBB, to guide its direction. It seems that that direction was most definately mising for months, causing development to halt completely (and as it happens, not restart).  The reasons for that are now obvious  Cry. Finding another steward, albeit temporarily if necessary, during such times may have helped? Certainly the last year have been particularly bad for the YaBB project.

Not meant to sound critical, and things are always easier with hindsight. Meant to portray an outsider's view.

I think with the extended outage, many went to Carsten's site to talk YaBB. Inevitable bitching went on, as the main site was screwed for ages, and as far as outsiders could see, nothing being done to fix it, or even know you were aware.

I sincerely hope YaBB can be resurected, as its a great piece of software, and incredibly reliable in my experience. It ran my site well for over 5 years, before I turned to the dark side (SMF).

Personally, I wish you success in the job that has taken much of your time, and hope your personal life suffers no more tradegys.

IP Logged

NextGen
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #16 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 12:02am
I PMed Corey telling him I was interested in helping. No response. Sad to see YaBB go but you can't cling to out dated technology and free services and expect anything to maintain or flourish.

IP Logged

Corey Chapman
YaBB Administrator

None
Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 1:22am
NextGen wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 12:02am:
I PMed Corey telling him I was interested in helping. No response. Sad to see YaBB go but you can't cling to out dated technology and free services and expect anything to maintain or flourish.

Your PM to me was only a couple days ago, but you have a response now.

Certainly my slowed activity this year (mainly in 3 of the last 4 months) and my not wanting to spend additional personal money to host YaBB away from SourceForge has damaged YaBB's reputation.  For that I truly apologize and hope it can be repaired.  However, what reason did I have for spending the amount of time and money I had for the past 10 years?  I have asked for help and asked for a status from the current team and got no responses or action.  There was nobody offering to help and certainly nobody to ask to work along side me in my position on the team because of that.  There was a lack of direction from me for part of this dark time, but I started it off with plenty of discussion when the team wanted direction.  I gave them the answer they wanted, but then nobody was doing anything with it.  That's why I backed off.

Activity is picking up the last few weeks here now, but it is still very slow and few posts - mostly people reading.  I can only hope that a move to a new host can work, and I am willing to try that.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011 at 1:27am by Corey Chapman »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 3:37am
A move to a more reliable server can only help.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top