Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) PMs from Ex-Members (Read 14,281 times)
Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: PMs from Ex-Members
Reply #53 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:35pm
Post Tools
Great! Thank you to you guys too.

Right, I'm off for a beer break. Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:36pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

corvettec3
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #52 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:34pm
Post Tools
And thank you Ron  Smiley

IP Logged

corvettec3
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #51 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:33pm
Post Tools
Thank you Derek.  I just made those changes.

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #50 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:33pm
Post Tools
Thanks Derek

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #49 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:30pm
Post Tools
Thanks Ron,

It was if someone entered an invalid email with characters which could break the settings which was causing problems, because the email wasn't being checked before the SFS checks were. The fix above should sort it.

RonS2 wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:23pm:
Just to add my 2¢ if no one minds.

Of cause we don't mind, the more 2¢ the better. Smiley

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #48 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:23pm
Post Tools
Just to add my 2¢ if no one minds.

I just enabled the auto-ban features along with banning ip addresses on the server level with out any ill effect. In other words my forum is still up and running.

(v2.4)

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #47 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:20pm
Post Tools
For anybody who happened to be reading this, it was indeed that line which was causing problems.

Binnie, it's a mistake on my behalf... If you had 'Auto-ban both IP Address and Email Address if either one matches?' enabled, it was adding the email address to the ban list before any validity checks were made on the email address. I'll fix it it the Mod at some point tonight, but if you don't want to wait until then and uninstall/reinstall, then find this bit of code in Sources/Register.pl:

Code (Perl)
Select All
    if ($check_sfs_username || $check_sfs_ip || $check_sfs_email) {
        require "$sourcedir/StopForumSpam.pl";
        $sfs_username = $member{'regusername'};
        $sfs_email = $member{'email'};
        &CheckForumSpam;
    } 

And move it to just before this line:

Code (Perl)
Select All
    &ToHTML($member{'language'}); 

Thank you very much for the feedback and help finding out what the problem was. Smiley

You can safely enable the auto-ban features again after making that change.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:23pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

corvettec3
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #46 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 9:27pm
Post Tools
Derek, I removed that section of text from the Settings.pl file and it still crashes the forum with a 404 error.  There is something else with that file that is causing problems.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #45 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:35pm
Post Tools
corvettec3 wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:30pm:
OK Derek...I just went into the Guardian and added an IP address in the IP ban section.  Both the .htacess file and Settings.pl indicated modification.  I checked the .htacess file and the new IP I had added was appended to the file.  I checked the Settings.pl file to what had changed but I could not find anything so I do not know what was changed in it.  SFS has only been adding names to the .htacess file since yesterday, all the other addresses are those that I added through the Guardian as you indicated should be the case.  However, I still can kill the forum by adding text through the Guardian resulting in a 404 error.  That doesn't concern me as I am not suppose to do that anyway   The forum is running fine with no more spam member requests.  The SFS is catching those 100%   We have had one valid member request today so we know the process is working fine.

Settings.pl will be modified because the enable/disable settings etc. are set there, for example:

Code
Select All
$use_guardian = 1;
$use_htaccess = 1; 

I'd still like to figure out what is going on anyhow...
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:36pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

corvettec3
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #44 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:31pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:29pm:
This is a bit suspicious in the banned email list though:

Code
Select All
,file_links[d:\xr-data\seogyy@gmail.com.txt,1,l] 

To test, back-up your Settings.pl and use the file that you attached earlier, but remove that from the email ban list first - see if you still get an error...

OK, I will do that right now.

IP Logged

corvettec3
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #43 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:30pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:52pm:
corvettec3 wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:34pm:
Derek, if you look at the end of the Settings.pl file that I posted here there is a large section titled '$ip_banlist =' and there are hundreds of IP addresses in that section.  I can bring down the forum in a second by going to the Guardian and entering any text besides IP addresses and the forum will crash with a 404 error.  If I look in the Settings.pl file after the crash, I can see the text in the '$ip_banlist =' section of that file.  I can then edit the file removing the garbage and the forum will come back to life.  I will look at the .htaccess file and see what it contains.  There are several of them scattered about the directory structure.

I really don't understand this, because like I say, IP addresses added to The Guardian are added to the .htaccess file - the IP addresses in Settings.pl are the ones added in Member Controls => Ban Members - they are totally different settings.

Did the SFS Mod auto-add all of those IPs or did you add some yourself - same with The Guardian?

OK Derek...I just went into the Guardian and added an IP address in the IP ban section.  Both the .htacess file and Settings.pl indicated modification.  I checked the .htacess file and the new IP I had added was appended to the file.  I checked the Settings.pl file to what had changed but I could not find anything so I do not know what was changed in it.  SFS has only been adding names to the .htacess file since yesterday, all the other addresses are those that I added through the Guardian as you indicated should be the case.  However, I still can kill the forum by adding text through the Guardian resulting in a 404 error.  That doesn't concern me as I am not suppose to do that anyway Smiley  The forum is running fine with no more spam member requests.  The SFS is catching those 100% Smiley  We have had one valid member request today so we know the process is working fine.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #42 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:29pm
Post Tools
This is a bit suspicious in the banned email list though:

Code
Select All
\,file_links\[d\:\\xr\-data\\seogyy\@gmail\.com\.txt\,1\,l\] 

To test, back-up your Settings.pl and use the file that you attached earlier, but remove that from the email ban list first - see if you still get an error...
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:29pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #41 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:52pm
Post Tools
corvettec3 wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:34pm:
Derek, if you look at the end of the Settings.pl file that I posted here there is a large section titled '$ip_banlist =' and there are hundreds of IP addresses in that section.  I can bring down the forum in a second by going to the Guardian and entering any text besides IP addresses and the forum will crash with a 404 error.  If I look in the Settings.pl file after the crash, I can see the text in the '$ip_banlist =' section of that file.  I can then edit the file removing the garbage and the forum will come back to life.  I will look at the .htaccess file and see what it contains.  There are several of them scattered about the directory structure.

I really don't understand this, because like I say, IP addresses added to The Guardian are added to the .htaccess file - the IP addresses in Settings.pl are the ones added in Member Controls => Ban Members - they are totally different settings.

Did the SFS Mod auto-add all of those IPs or did you add some yourself - same with The Guardian?
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:53pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

corvettec3
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #40 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:41pm
Post Tools
Derek, the .htacess file at the root of the yabb2 directory is 56k in size and has hundreds of IP addresses in it as well.

IP Logged

corvettec3
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #39 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:34pm
Post Tools
Derek, if you look at the end of the Settings.pl file that I posted here there is a large section titled '$ip_banlist =' and there are hundreds of IP addresses in that section.  I can bring down the forum in a second by going to the Guardian and entering any text besides IP addresses and the forum will crash with a 404 error.  If I look in the Settings.pl file after the crash, I can see the text in the '$ip_banlist =' section of that file.  I can then edit the file removing the garbage and the forum will come back to life.  I will look at the .htaccess file and see what it contains.  There are several of them scattered about the directory structure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top