Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
There are no actions to perform.
Normal Topic Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone - (Read 1,003 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone -
Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:23pm
Its a uniquely American Holiday, but the idea is universal - Giving thanks for our unique reality.á Just the idea of being able to be thankful is a worthy candidate.

Today I am thankful for many things:
á That more people are enjoying more liberty in more places than any time in prior history. (at least since we left the Garden of Eden and went on our walk-about in the World.)
á That people work as volunteers to improve the lives of others. There are many ways to do this, but if the outcome is that you have made things better - 'Good job'.á
á That some religions still know what charity is and means (that would include a few that many might not expect).
á That I have real friends, even if we may not always see eye-to-eye, I know they just won't let me down.
á That there are shiny pennies, angels, shells, bells, cats, dogs, frogs, babies, little girls and boys - still capable of belief, all to make this world a more interesting and delightful place.
á That I have had the love of some amazing, intelligent and beautiful women and managed to keep their friendship and respect, despite many faults on my part.
á And. of course I am grateful that I am still kicking and will get to see even more inconceivable realities come to pass.

I guess its time to find 'My Thanksgiving' on youtube. Don Henly really says it well (listening now)

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone -
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:39pm
It feels almost impossible to say being English, but *cough*Happy Thanksgiving!*cough*

I think the UK would be the last place to have such a day - it would end up like any other special occasion - plenty of pints of Stella, fistycuffs, curry, vomiting, and apologizing for things that you can't remember doing the morning after.

We're a sophisticated bunch. Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:49pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone -
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 6:03pm
Derek - I think its like that for some Americans - but most have a family reunion and a huge dinner.  Its also a day for sports events (particularly high-school football) for 'settling grudges' with traditional rivals.

Cheers!
Smiley

(but no Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear Cider - due to rushed shopping amidst a rainstorm yesterday)

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo