Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone - (Read 680 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone -
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 6:03pm
Post Tools
Derek - I think its like that for some Americans - but most have a family reunion and a huge dinner.  Its also a day for sports events (particularly high-school football) for 'settling grudges' with traditional rivals.

Cheers!
Smiley

(but no Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear Cider - due to rushed shopping amidst a rainstorm yesterday)

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone -
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:39pm
Post Tools
It feels almost impossible to say being English, but *cough*Happy Thanksgiving!*cough*

I think the UK would be the last place to have such a day - it would end up like any other special occasion - plenty of pints of Stella, fistycuffs, curry, vomiting, and apologizing for things that you can't remember doing the morning after.

We're a sophisticated bunch. Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:49pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone -
Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:23pm
Post Tools
Its a uniquely American Holiday, but the idea is universal - Giving thanks for our unique reality.  Just the idea of being able to be thankful is a worthy candidate.

Today I am thankful for many things:
  That more people are enjoying more liberty in more places than any time in prior history. (at least since we left the Garden of Eden and went on our walk-about in the World.)
  That people work as volunteers to improve the lives of others. There are many ways to do this, but if the outcome is that you have made things better - 'Good job'. 
  That some religions still know what charity is and means (that would include a few that many might not expect).
  That I have real friends, even if we may not always see eye-to-eye, I know they just won't let me down.
  That there are shiny pennies, angels, shells, bells, cats, dogs, frogs, babies, little girls and boys - still capable of belief, all to make this world a more interesting and delightful place.
  That I have had the love of some amazing, intelligent and beautiful women and managed to keep their friendship and respect, despite many faults on my part.
  And. of course I am grateful that I am still kicking and will get to see even more inconceivable realities come to pass.

I guess its time to find 'My Thanksgiving' on youtube. Don Henly really says it well (listening now)

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top