Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Upgrade advice to 2.5 keeping my custom settings.. (Read 1,900 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Upgrade advice to 2.5 keeping my custom settings..
Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 12:07am
Post Tools
By the way, I think your site looks great!  Cool

As for your search function, come to think of it, our search never worked either. Or rather, like in your forum, while the search command in the window to the right never worked, the regular search function always worked just fine (the icon in our menu bar, which is a better search function anyway).

So yes, the search function from your menu bar works just fine.  Wink

Edited:
Read my suggestion below if you want, but ...

On second thought, maybe you should leave that search box as it is since you may not remember where to put it again once someone figures out why it's not working. I just put mine back even though I know our simple search feature isn't working either.

Suggestion: Edit out the following text in your template (you don't need to remove anything else):

{yabb searchbox}

If you do this, that search box to your right will disappear. Wink

Think about it. Since it doesn't work anyway, and the search feature on your menu works, not to mention that it's a much better search feature anyway since it's comprehensive, you'll be better off doing as I suggested.

Well, unless of course someone comes up with a solution to your problem, and you're able to get that simply search function to work. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2012 at 12:36am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 11:32pm
Post Tools

I don't know the answer about which files you need to copy from a new install to overwrite the old files to get search to to work, but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to mix old and new files together. Otherwise, as you noticed, some things like search won't work.

As for the template, I needed to do the same with our template after we upgraded. I think the upgrade overrides the old template with a new one because there are enough changes in the coding to make a difference. But I pretty much knew this when I made the upgrade, so I was ready with my own HTML additions when our upgraded template was installed.

The template can be a little tricky if you're not careful about what you're adding or deleting from it. I recently deleted a few lines of code by accident, which made our forum look weird, but I realized pretty quickly what I had done, so within a few short minutes I was able to add back the needed lines of code from a backup copy I had retrieved.

Good luck with your upgrade. Someone here online will probably be able to help you at some point; hopefully sooner than later. Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

street
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 10:24pm
Post Tools
I figured out you have to manually edit the TEMPLATE area where you see the YABB logo. Put your old logo in the yabbfiles/templates/Forum/default folder and point to that. not very user friendly and why would it overwrite your main template when upgrading??
I also noticed that search isn't working on my upgraded forum. It didn't work on the 2.4 version and still doesn't work. I put a whole new 2.5 version on my server also and the search does work. So what files would I need to copy from a new install to overwrite the old files to get search to work?

IP Logged

street
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 9:56pm
Post Tools
I also just upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5AE and my main header banner is now a HUGE YABB one. So far this is one issue that is a dealbreaker and I can't launch until I figure that out. I went through the templates and can't seem to find where you can select an image. Very frustrating it would change this as it is the header on all pages.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 3:51pm
Post Tools
Did you make the changes with the template Editor, and css sheets in Admin Center???

Are they stored in the default template folder, or did you make a new one???

Thanks -
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

vismag
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Upgrade advice to 2.5 keeping my custom settings..
Nov 29th, 2011 at 8:26pm
Post Tools
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade from 2.3.1 to 2.5 and have followed the directions but when i do this, i loose all my graphical settings, i loose my cutom graphic header and alot of other settings (visual). I reverted back now, is there any way to keep all my settings when upgrading?

my site is volkorsguides.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl - you can see the visual changes i made, just want to keeo the site looking exactly the same but with the new version.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top