Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Locked Topic Membership glitches here in this forum (Read 55 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Membership glitches here in this forum
Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:48pm
There are no actions to perform.
For any of you who may be working on fixes for what's going on with corrupted memberships here in this forum, hopefully the following information can help:

1. Interestingly, JonB is now listed as an Ex Member and that has to be incorrect, right?

2. I was finally able to log out of this forum, but when I tried to log in with my email address, I got the message that I no longer existed. Solution: It worked when I logged in with my username versus logging in with my email address.

3. I'm now unable to log out again.

P.S. In a good review of another forum it was mentioned that part of the reason for getting an excellent review was that the forum being reviewed only put out the newest versions once all of its bugs were worked out.

Suggestion: Maybe YaBB should do this as well. In other words, here in this forum so that everything works well, only a stable version should be used. Newer versions can be worked on elsewhere until the bugs are fixed.

That way, webmasters who are thinking of using YaBB might very well likely think to themselves, "Wow! This is a great forum. Everything works so wonderfully. I think I'll use it for my site."

Instead, a new webmaster's experience here will clearly be unfavorable because of the bugs that seem to be so common. Especially in YaBB's own community support forum, the kind of bugs that are causing problems shouldn't exist; at least not so profoundly.

Just thinking aloud if it helpsWink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Monsen
YaBB Legends (Active)

YaBB 2.3
Re: Membership glitches here in this forum
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 1:53am
The problem isn't a bug in YaBB, but rather that there is a problem with file locking on Sourceforge. Without proper file locking, the risk of corrupted files is high, and that is what has happened here.
Almost all of the problems lately (corrupted profiles, slow loads, error messages) is due to this issue.

Unfortunately, that does mean that people are seeing problems that they might think is due to bugs in the software, even if they really aren't.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2011 at 1:56am by Monsen »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Thanks. - Re: Membership glitches here in this for
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 7:56am
Monsen wrote on Dec 3rd, 2011 at 1:53am:
The problem isn't a bug in YaBB, but rather that there is a problem with file locking on Sourceforge ...

Thanks for clearing this up. Now people can see what's really happening instead of presuming as I did that YaBB's newest software is as buggy as it appears here in this forum.

Still, it's not professional to stay with Sourceforge if they're unable to correct this. Hopefully somebody in the YaBB community has the resources to offer YaBB a good home, hint, hint.

One would think this is an embarrassment for Sourceforge.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Membership glitches here in this forum
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 9:01pm
This Topic was moved here from Non-YaBB Programming and Technical Help [move by] Dandello.

This thread refers to issues with the old hosting service and is no longer applicable.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2012 at 1:46pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools